• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which one of the three for 920 do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oc1Kenube

Going to order one of these three boards tomorrow, after i bought a piece of **** xfx x58i that will not post for love nor money, although it did 1st time around and done full install of windows but now nothing, but thats a different story.

so im trying to choose between: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/195331
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/162039
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/197373

Going to be ruinning on water so i guess ill be hoping for over 4ghz perhaps. for 24/7 use, although only got 1333mhz ddr3 6gb ocz gold, not sure if that will limit me yet but i got them cheap and this is my first i7 build so im sure it will be fun regardless.

Thanks in advance as always

EXDISPLAY Asus P6TD Deluxe X58 Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard I would go for this one, great overclocker just seen a post he got 4.25Ghz on air.

I did not realize how important the Mobo was in getting the i7 920 to 4 Ghz. I guess I just lucked out when I bought my used Gigabyte for $125. It's Folding 24/7 4.011 Ghz and I'm about to increase that OC some more.

I did not realize how important the Mobo was in getting the i7 920 to 4 Ghz. I guess I just lucked out when I bought my used Gigabyte for $125. It's Folding 24/7 4.011 Ghz and I'm about to increase that OC some more.
I heard that Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R was a good overclocking board, some people say it beats the UD5

which is really odd IMO, since the UD5 has a higher PWM phase system then the UD3R.

Yes it is odd because the VRM design is seems to be better in the UD5 it uses Advanced 12+2+2 power phase design with VRD 11.1 support.
The UD3R VRM design is 8 phase old school. Maybe 12+2+2 is a design problem or inadequate components, I know the price is not. or maybe like you said before they need to get some timing or VR worked out in the Bios.

Asus and Gigybyte are always trying to out do each other, some things work some things don't with the i7 TDP 130w+ and the Gigybyte old school 8 phase seems to be working ok, although the VRM design on the Asus P6X58D calls it's design true 16+2 it is 10c cooler on overclocking past 4Ghz.

Last edited:
You guys are all talking jibberish to me. Which is just fine as I must be lucky to have literally stumbled upon my Gigabyte board. :)

I just tried 196x21 and found the computer at the login screen a few minutes after I walked away, so I guess I found my limit (at least at this voltage).

Compare Rampage 2 extreme with that two, not the gene. I would take Asus P6TD Deluxe X58, it isnt expensive and one of the best overclockers out there.

Well I haven't any complaints on the GA-EX58-UD3R so far. Well, one on a usb device conflict.
First shot, with some settings from another member, 4 ghz on some Crucial ValueRam @ 1.3 vcore. And it was under 200 dollars shipped.

Going to order one of these three boards tomorrow, after i bought a piece of **** xfx x58i that will not post for love nor money, although it did 1st time around and done full install of windows but now nothing, but thats a different story.

so im trying to choose between: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/195331
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/162039
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/197373

Going to be ruinning on water so i guess ill be hoping for over 4ghz perhaps. for 24/7 use, although only got 1333mhz ddr3 6gb ocz gold, not sure if that will limit me yet but i got them cheap and this is my first i7 build so im sure it will be fun regardless.

Thanks in advance as always
If you get the Asus P6TD make sure it's a version 2. You may also want to check out the Asus P6X58D Premium it costs a little more but it's future proof with SATA III 6gb/sec and USB 3.0. I have one and I like it, it's a good overclocker. With either one you should be able to hit 4.0ghz with good air cooling. I can tell you from my personal experience, I got an i7 920 DO to 4.53ghz stable with water cooling on the P6X58D with 6gb of OCZ Gold 1600mhz. The P6X58D easily handles the higher speeds, the P6TD should give you similar results I here it's a good overclocker as well.

by the time SATA III takes off in the main stream. intel will have their standalone SATAIII card which i want. maybe it will have USB 3.0 as well, nothing wrong with NEC. i just think to many people get caught up in "OMG ITS FUTURE PROOF", future proof is a oxymoron. even then when you buy any computer or device it is already outdated.

In the end i plumped for the Gigabyte X58 UD5-A so far it's solid and had no issues whatsoever. Currently priming at 3.8ghz 181 x 21 @ 1.28v gonna drop this if it stays stable, im working backwards from auto voltage on 3.8ghz oc which was using 1.38v :O hyper threading is enabled and temperatures are at 63c - 67c on each core under full load, which im fairly happy about. Going to add 3 more fans to my xspc 360mm radiator soon in push pull as currently only running in pull configuration in roof of coolermaster ATCS 840 case so should hopefully see a few degrees drop soon.

(Edit) Now running 3.8ghz @ 1.26v temperatures have dropped to 61-64c on the cores.

All my other voltages except the cpu are left on auto in bios are there any i should be concerned about and look to manually handle?

Last edited:
Update, ok so ive been stressing for a while now i went downt to stock volts @ 1.2625v 3.8ghz and have now upped the BCLK to 191 for 4.01 ghz just using 20 minutes of prime small ffts to stress at the moment then will run a couple of hours of blend to make sure my ram is holding up ok then im going to try lowering volts further before going for a higher oc, so far this is the best combo of motherboard and cpu i have ever owned.

Go with the gigabyte. Love my ASUS but not enough sata ports. If you can live with 6 sata ports the quality of ASUS and their support can't be beat.

Last edited:
I bought the p6t deluxe ver 2 from Newegg on an open box deal. Saved 60 bucks but when they sent it to me, it was the board only. No manual, no software no nothing but the board. What did they expect me to do, nail it to a wall. I called ASUS and they sent me at no charge the I/O shield so I could mount it in my case.

Back