• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6X58D vs EVGA Classified 760 3-way SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamsde

Registered
I bought a ASUS P6X58D MB about 2 weeks ago and it is running great, problem is I have two GTX 285's in SLI and ASUS board's PCIE 2 slots are very close together. Fan housing on the top card is nearly touching the bottom card, maybe 1 to 2 mm clearance...Temps on my GPU's are idle in the 50's, peak in the low 80's with max settings. (which according to BFG Tech is fine for them, and matched my previous board that had more space)
My main focus with this PC is gaming.

I can still return this MB and was considering swapping it out for an EVGA Classified 760 because the EVGA board has more space between the PCIE slots, and also b/c i've read good things about the EVGA board.

Any opinions out there? Does anyone think it would be worth my time to RMA the board and swap it for a classified? Keep in mind I don't plan to OC my CPU much, maybe 10% or so... (see sig, using Core i7-960)

Future plans for this system include two water cooled GTX 480's when ever I can get them... Additionally, from a gaming performance perspective, is it worth the $$ to add a third card?

Thanks
Jon

Last edited:
unless you are gaming on some super huge resolution (and i dont mean 1080p or 55" screen, but actual resolutions on the screen) you are already probably overkill for what you have and 3 would be basically wasting money.. now if you were folding or something like that then its a different story.

as for the boards.. the evga in order to get x16 on 2 lanes you use pcie1 and pcie3 i believe, which would give you a fullslot between your cards.. but the 1-2mm distance between cards is normal...what you could do if you wanted to keep the asus is to maybe remove the shrouds from the cards, or at least the top card so that heres more area to pull air from

unless you are gaming on some super huge resolution (and i dont mean 1080p or 55" screen, but actual resolutions on the screen) you are already probably overkill for what you have and 3 would be basically wasting money.. now if you were folding or something like that then its a different story.

Cool I appreciate the advice: Right now I'm using an Asus 27" Monitor at 1900 x 1080 native resolution and a Samsung 19" in multi-mon type setup. Most of the reading I've done thus far indicates I need to upgrade to a 120 hz monitor or better for higher resolutions (and to be 3d ready)

Sounds like I may be better off spending $250 for a cpl water blocks for the GTX 285's rather than dropping the 1k plus for two 480's at the resolution i'm currently using.. thoughts?

i have no figures behind this decision, but I personally would get 1 480 over the sli setup even if you lost a few fps.. the gains of dx11 and overclocking a single card vs multiple cards

though spending some cash for water cooling the gfx cards could gain more in oc'ing them as well..

Back