• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual D5 pump question (parallel ore in-line)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

havor

Registered
Hi i am about to build a water cool setup and i wane use a dual pump setup.
But what gives me the best result, in-line ore parallel setup

I am going to get a EK-D5 Dual TOP 2-LOOPS
d5-dual-top-2-loops-back_front_600.jpg

Whit a reservoir like this, but then whit 2 reservoirs as that fits better whit the look i have in mind.
attachment.php

I am also going to use in this setup:
  • XSPC RX360 Triple Radiator
  • MagiCool SLIM SINGLE 140 MC Radiator
  • EK Water Blocks EK-FC5870
  • EK Water Blocks EK-FC5970
  • EK Water Blocks EK-FB ASUS X58
  • EK Water Blocks EK-MOSFET ASUS X58 KIT
  • EK Water Blocks EK-Supreme HF
  • MIPS RAM Freezer
  • Swiftech MCP655 (2x)
  • Koolance FM-17

Other question, if any one knows, the FM-17 is rated at 240 GPH, but the Swiftech MCP655 is rated 317 GPH, and i gone have 2 of these, i know the rating is @ free flow but still, would i go over spec of the censor ore would it be ok.

Since your going way past normal WC setups you want series really really bad.

The ram cooling (worthless) will restrict the waterflow severely and is something you need to worry about. You don't need flow rates, you need head pressure to keep flow rates up for the CPU loop in a big way.

Maybe I reading it wrong. You want to use the 140mm rad for the GPU, and the bigger rad for the CPU. Still both loops would be 100% seperate? Meaning no water from the CPU loop will touch the GPU loop?

If so thats not parellel, thats seperate loops.

So not sure, maybe a bit of a language barrier. I only speak one language, so I'm really limited when it comes to people who can speak more than one.

Hope it helps...........

Is your D5 varible speed ? If so turn it down some =)
No need i am going to use a Koolance TMS-200 whit a TMS-EB200 Controller to adjust the flow speed of the pumps
My rig is going to be on 24/7 and to save the pumps and fans during idle i wane be able to slow them down to the minimum needed speed to keep the parts cool

ditch the flow meter... not needed.
Why?, I know i don't really need but its nice to have a indication whats happening to the flow
for our needs series for pumps is better.
Tnx. i was thinking that to, just needed it confirmed

The ram cooling (worthless) will restrict the waterflow severely and is something you need to worry about. You don't need flow rates, you need head pressure to keep flow rates up for the CPU loop in a big way.
I know i don't really need RAM cooling as RAM only counts for about 1% of the performance but i like the looks of it, and the looks of the MIPS cooler, looks like it restricted less then the MOSFET coolers so i dont think its a big problem.
mch4248.jpg

Maybe I reading it wrong. You want to use the 140mm rad for the GPU, and the bigger rad for the CPU. Still both loops would be 100% seperate? Meaning no water from the CPU loop will touch the GPU loop?
No i wane use just one loop, as it more efficient than dual loops.
I am going to use a Obsidian 800D case and it got space for a extra 140mm rad in the back, and as i am going to dump about 500W in to the loop the extra rad would help

So not sure, maybe a bit of a language barrier. I only speak one language, so I'm really limited when it comes to people who can speak more than one.

Hope it helps...........
Think you got what i was asking :D, so yeah it helped, tnx all for the info.

Adjusting the flow rate in the loop is not really the best way to adjust the system to changing hardware temperatures. Once the system has a good flow-rate (about 1-1.25 GPM = 60-75 GPH) more flow doesn't effect temperature very much but cooling capacity goes down quickly if you drop below that minimal flow-rate. It's a very delicate balance. If you want the system to "idle down" then adjusting the fan speeds is a better method.

Here's a graph of your water-block. Notice the difference between 0.5 GMP, 1.0 GMP, and 1.5 GMP? That's pretty normal for all water blocks.
http://skinneelabs.com/assets/images/CPUBlocks/i7/Round2/EK/Results25W.png

Last edited:
Adjusting the flow rate in the loop is not really the best way to adjust the system to changing hardware temperatures. Once the system has a good flow-rate (about 60-75 GPH) more flow doesn't effect temperature very much and cooling capacity goes down quickly if you drop below that minimal flow-rate. It's a very delicate balance. If you want the system to "idle down" then adjusting the fan speeds is a better method.
I know but slowing down the pumps to, will reduce the heat-dump from them to, as the D5 is ratted at 24W times two it will reduce my power consumption and heat-dump in to the system, properly by about 30~40W.

And the ATi cards and i7 920 are real cool under idle, so imho i really don't need any high flow rate to keep things cool, but i could see it wrong.

Last edited:
Let us know how it works out. It would be very interesting to see what kind of flow-rate it has at idle compared to load and, if possible, the pump voltage at those speeds. :)

Edit:
The minimum voltage for those pumps is 6V (= 12W x2). The most you'll save is 24W minus the increased load on the pumps for the flow meter restriction. ((And I doubt you'll be able to go that low with all the blocks in the loop - but I could be wrong.)) Like I said, please post your results, they could be very enlightening.

PS
You might be better off leaving the whole flow meter/system regulator out and just turning off the extra pump when the computer isn't in use. Just something to think about. ;)

Last edited:
Let us know how it works out. It would be very interesting to see what kind of flow-rate it has at idle compared to load and, if possible, the pump voltage at those speeds. :)
Will do and will post pic's when its done i wane be able to post pic's here :cool:
PS
You might be better off leaving the whole flow meter/system regulator out and just turning off the extra pump when the computer isn't in use. Just something to think about. ;)
As i am going to use the TMS-200 to control fans and lighting anyway i might as well control the pumps true it as well. ;)

Back