• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED How much radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgettmann

[Solved] How much radiator?

Ladies and gentlemen,
Thank you on all previous assistance in other topics. Right now I am currently trying to figure out exactly how much radiator area I am going to need. Here is a rough estimate of what I am trying to get in my loop.

i7 9XX(still haven't decided on 930 or springing the extra for 980x)
motherboard and chip set
memory
and 2 GPUs (either HD 5870 x2 or GTX 470 x2)

I was initially thinking that a 360x120 radiator would have been enough but after some trolling I am beginning to think that I should probably add 120x120 or even a 240x120 in there as well. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
ditch the ram cool, waste of money, no benefits, restricts flow and so on.

for all that a triple (cpu and board) and double (gpu's).

are you going to be folding or doing anything that will have the computer at 100% use? if so then i would opt to do dual loops, if not a single loop will be fine.

yep only reasons to cool ram are boredom and upsetting people who know a little something about it.

I was bored...

if there is a heat issue a 120mm fan on low is a quiet cheap solution :)

Was going to mainly for quiet/looks. But if it is going to cause other problems in the loop, the memory can just stick with the fans.

Got another slightly off topic question. I see a lot of people using 2 pump(in series) systems, and most of their pumps are about 2 gpm give or take a little. Would using a 4-5 gpm pump be just as effective?

Spawn, would a 4x120 and a 1x120 work as well? If 3x120 and 2x120 would work, basically 5x120 total is what i am looking for.

Got another slightly off topic question. I see a lot of people using 2 pump(in series) systems, and most of their pumps are about 2 gpm give or take a little. Would using a 4-5 gpm pump be just as effective?

Don't know what pumps your talking about. The two most common WC pumps we use is over 200 GPH with no restrictions. It's once you add all the restictions it drops the flow rate down. 1.5 - 2 GPM in the loop is what is considered good for a WC loop. Some, (few) run two pumps in series not for the added flow, they do it for more head pressure due to the size of thir loops, larger than one pump can really handle. Head pressure overcomes restrictions of many blocks, long hose routing etc.

My loops doen't nesd two pumps on each loop, my loops are simple.

Yes, the rad size is the same in total.

Last edited:
Almost every pump I have seen out there is around is around 200-300 gallons per hour, ie 4-5 gallons per minute. Can you give me a link of some pumps you would recommend.

2 pumps are really only used for giant loops (like mine, though i could run it off 1 pump, but i happen to have 2 from when i went dual loops before) or if you want a second for redundancy, should one fail.

Spawn, would a 4x120 and a 1x120 work as well? If 3x120 and 2x120 would work, basically 5x120 total is what i am looking for.

yes you can do that, any combo of 5x120mm.

Almost every pump I have seen out there is around is around 200-300 gallons per hour, ie 4-5 gallons per minute. Can you give me a link of some pumps you would recommend.

this is my standard pump list suggestion. it's up to date as for as after market tops go.
Pumps
Swiftech MCP355 with XSPC Acrylic Reservoir for Laing DDC or EK-DDC X-Top Rev 2 or XSPC Laing DDC Acetal Top

Swiftech MCP655 Vario - adjustable speed and 1 speed faster then the basic
Swiftech MCP655 Basic - is equal to the vario on setting 4.

Dual loops

XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir
+ 2x Swiftech MCP355

Single Loop

XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir
+ Swiftech MCP355

Here is another question, what kind of fan set up is usually used? I notice a lot of 120x25mm fans. If I use a 120x38mm fan will that make up for a smaller rad? Also how does a 140.1 radiator compare to a 120.1, it is just simple math in terms of radiator square footage?

I was thinking along lines of:
120.1 rad = 144cm2 so 120.5(how much I need) = 720cm2
140.1 rad = 196cm2 so i should be able to use 140.4 = 784cm2
And would actually get more radiator area with 1 less radiator.
The only problem is where does one get a 140.3 radiator and decent fans to go with it. The standard seems to be 120.

A sidenote I have the Feser Quad....and I am VERY happy with it yes it is expensive but to me it was well worth every penny.... is there any difference, yes but not justiffable by the price...only that it is the BEST in performance by 8% at low-to-med fans for being the quietest rad out there.

So what does this all mean.... you pay a bucket load of money for the name FESER and 8% cooling increase and one of the quietest 3-4 fan Rads out there.... of course you can always save a bunch of money and go swiftech if your on a budget..(but I thought budgets were meant to be overran) aw wait thats the goverment..nvm..

Last edited:
2C@nts, that beast has mounting holes for both 120 and 140 fans. Thanks for the help, man that thing is almost as thick as it is wide.

Conumdrum, thanks for those awesome links on radiators. It had reviews on almost every radiator I was looking at let alone thinking about. Do you happen to have a simular link or personal knowledge about the fan setup on radiators and how it effects them? ie push vs pull vs push/pull.

Last edited:
Back