• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video not working on new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jonah Bron

Registered
I have an Asus P6T Deluxe v2 motherboard in a new computer. I just tried to start it up, but the video isn't working. All of the fans start, but my monitor remains blank. I know the monitor works. The GPU is a NVidia Quadro FX 1800 (PNY). It's fan starts too. What are some possible causes of this?

Thanks!

list your parts thanks.

Could be not posting.
Do you hear a 1 beep when you hit the power button?
try reinserting the video card.

try using just one memory stick at a time, then try to post.

try no memory at all and see if you get 2 or 3 beeps when you power on.

try disconnecting the hard drives,then try to post

Thanks for the response. I tried all of the things you said, but nothing changed. I built the case, so there's no speaker. I tried with a speaker plugged into the jack, but that didn't work. I guess I'll have to get an internal speaker?

Here are the parts:
Core i7-930
Asus P6T Deluxe v2 Motherboard
Seagate HDD
NVidia Quadro FX 1800 GPU
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 Memory

Thanks

It's a gen-max ATX 400W power supply. It's less than fancy. Didn't buy it from a retailer.

Hi Jonah,

I can't claim the problem is your Gen-Max PSU, but for a system like that, I'd go with a much better name brand PSU and with more power. Last I even heard of the Gen-max, that unit was going for under $20.00 brand new. With the other high quality components in your rig, it's possible it could very well be the PSU. Sorry I can't be more help.

I see what you're saying. I can't see anything else wrong. I was going to get a nice one, but this one presented itself, so I just tried it. I'll probably get another one. If anyone can think of any other causes, please post them.

Thanks for all the help.

I would agree, although the FX shouldn't consume as much power as some of the more current video cards, the other components probably do, but its not a slouch and since I don't see any additional 4 or 6 pin connectors, so I would wonder where it gets its power. 400W is really borderline especially from a not well known manufacturer where in fact it might be over rated.

Get that pc board internal speaker so you can listen for the beeps also, second on the PSU.
The FX card only consumes 45w however your cpu board and memory might be a possibly pushing a overrated rated PSU

You want to find out fast if you have a DOA board, so you can RMA if needed.

Last edited:
The Genmax PSU has total 12v rating of 14 amps, Add in very poor quality and I think you may have your culprit....

GenMax 400W 20+4 ATX Power Supply

General Features:
400-watt total
Single fan
110-130/200-240V switchable power supply
One (1) 12-inch 20+4 ATX power connector
One (1) 12-inch 12V ATX power connector
Three (3) large 4-pin Molex power connectors
One (1) small 4-pin floppy connector
One (1) SATA power connector

Power Specifications:
+3.3V, 22A
+5V, 28A
+12V, 14A
-5V, .6A
-12V, .6A
+5VSB, 2A

the corsair 450VX has nearly twice the amps on the 12v rail. though you see this stout psu does cost about 2-3 times more. the psu just can supply enough current for the GPU and the CPU at the same time. min if this was a non oc'd rig, you want at least 25amps on the 12v rail in a RW rating.

EGADS!!!! NOT ROSEWILL!

Look for something from Corsair or Silverstone. Realistically a good PSU will not be cheap, but it is the backbone of your computer and should last just as long if not longer then your Monitor.

Don't skimp here. This if you HAVE to go cheap http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Otherwise, get the TX650 so you will be set if and when you upgrade your video card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

I have the TX 650 with i7 and SLI GTX 260s. Two Panaflo H1BX Fans, 2 Noctua NF-P12s, 2- 200mm Coolermaster Case Fans, 3 Hard drives and Overclocked to 4.0. To give you a general idea. Ideally I would like 700-800W for when I upgrade Video cards in the future but 650 is currently doing the job. It only had 2-6 Pin power cables for GPU, so I had to put in an adapter for the other two 6pins for my SLI.

Gaaa! *hair blows back in strong wind*

Not Rosewill, got it!

I'm checking out with the Corsair 450VX right now.

Gaaa! *hair blows back in strong wind*

Not Rosewill, got it!

I'm checking out with the Corsair 450VX right now.

Good choice, You have a nice i-7 build, Gotta have quality,Clean power to run it. Most importantly, You don't want a PSU that if it blows it takes other components with it.

The values between the 400 and the 650 are just not worth it, so if you have to go cheap, get the 400 now and save up for the 650. I'd say its the best bang for the buck.

It's on it's way. Thanks for your professional help. Is there a place where one can show off one's new "rig"?

(out of curiosity Brutal Force, in the quote in your signature, what is an HS?)

HS=heatsink... yes there are many brands of psu's that need to be avoided like the plague!

Back