• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best air-cooled case to turn into internal water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jorick

Registered
I'm going to be building out a new computer soon, and I'm going to go from scratch (Maybe reuse hard drives :))

My plan right now is for an i7-930, and at least one Radeon 5850 (leaving the option of adding a second one in the future). The other part of the plan is to build the machine on air first, to get it done, then look at watercooling it in the future.

From the little bit I've read, a 120.3 radiator should be enough for the 930 (Whatever I OC it to; my goal would be mainly a noise-reducing project, with overclocking a side-benefit), and maybe enough for adding one radeon, but if I add a second radeon, I'm definitely going to need to add a second radiator.

Given all that knowledge (and if that knowledge is incorrect, obviously my assumptions are incorrect; please don't shoot me yet about matching rad vs heat output, I haven't done much homework yet, because it's down the road :)), I'm looking at either an Obsidian (top of the price range), or a haf-932 (If money's an object). They both have screw holes for internally mounting a 120.3 from what I've seen (both on the top of the case).

Do either of them allow for another internal radiator *without modding the case* (Unscrewing fans/whatever doesn't count; if you have to get a dremel out, that's modding the case :))? It seems like the obsidian, being roughly the size of the Grand Canyon, would, but all the case projects I see involve modding it.

Also, are there other cases in the price range (topping out at ~$300 usd) I should be looking at (Before someone says it, a TJ07, being $30-40 more than an Obsidian, is out of the range ;))

Basically, I'm looking for buying an air-based-case that's as future-proofed for water-cooling as I can get. Obviously, cheaper is better, but if the Obsidian has some tangible benefits over the HAF-932 (or whatever else), I'll buy it.

First, the Obsidian is better for water cooling from the start than air..
The HAF-932 is great for both, although especially shines for air cooling; as you mentioned, a 120.3 rad will mount right in the top of the case no problem and the holes are pre-drilled.

The Obsidian is built better than the HAF-932. That's really my only complaint about the CoolerMaster - the cheaper build quality, but it's also pretty inexpensive for what it does.

You can put a 120.3 into the top of an ATCS-840 stock with no modifications and no loss of functionality. You can even put a 120.4 in the top if you don't mind the minor inconvenience of losing the use of the top three external drive bays (or letting a portion of the radiator stick out the back if you do mind). You can also put another 120.3 behind the drive cages using UN Designs radiator mounting brackets. This case gets very heavy with a 120.4 with seven fans, a 120.3 with six fans, two pumps, two reservoirs and two loops full of water.

Back