• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Loop Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaVoK

Thinking about putting together a GPU loop for my 5870. Could I get away with a single 120mm radiator? or do I need something larger? Pump will be a Swiftech 350 with a Petra or XSPC res. top.

I'm also planning on picking up a full coverage water block. I haven't really decided on which model, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure a single rad would be enough for that card unless you're willing to get a monster fan for it. If you want to keep it simple, and you have the space for it, you might consider the Swiftech MCR220Drive. It's a double rad with an MCP350 and res built into it. Not sure if that would work for you or not, though.

What are you considering, hanging a single off the rear exhaust fan or something ...?

Exactly. I was thinking I would mount a single radiator to the rear fan. I dont have much room on the outside for anything bigger. Cables would interfere in every direction.

I like how the Swiftech is stackable. That might work. My other option is to cut open the top of my case, which I'm not ready to do yet. I should probably take some pics to show what I already have done.

I would think that a single would be able to cool a 5870 *decently.* Especially so if you're not looking for 35-45 degrees under load.

Considering the 5870s don't run very hot at all, if you're not planning on overclocking/overvolting the card that much, I think it would work ... without the best temps, mind you.

Isn't 300W a lot to dissipate with a single rad, even with a high cfm fan?

I can cool 2 4890's on a singal 120mm EK rad and still be well below the stock coolers temps. Idle 89F and underload for 2 hours about 109F Max.

I can never stop saying this....OVER RAD..... if you have the room always get the bigger Rad...why....you know you are going to get the bigger and better GPU so instead of always rebuilding when you get a card go big now and be ready for the future...at the same time you can go with quieter fans... giving you better coolage and less noise....

but that is just me and my opinion....hey pay now save later.!!

CrazyV? You mean 31 C and 42C? Thats pretty good. What fans on that rad and whats your ambient temp?

Just trying to keep it apples vs apples.

OP: That card is only 163 watts under Furmark. The one rad is more than enough. Using this link as the proof, you should be able to do 160 watts very easily. Don't even need any more than one Gentle Typhoon 1450 RPM.
http://skinneelabs.com/xspc-rx120.html

CrazyV? You mean 31 C and 42C? Thats pretty good. What fans on that rad and whats your ambient temp?

OP: That card is only 163 watts under Furmark. The one rad is more than enough. Using this link as the proof, you should be able to do 160 watts very easily. Don't even need any more than one Gentle Typhoon 1450 RPM.

Sorry Conumdrum. I have one Blacknoise Noiseblocker Multiframe S-Series M12-S3 73 CFM. Ambient temp is around 23-24C.

Yeah - I was figuring around 200 watts minimum - but I like your numbers better. :) It's always hard to estimate individual components when given a total system draw.

Good to hear these are so efficient in power consumption ...

I don't plan on doing any major overclocking to the GPU. A minor voltage increase if anything at all.

Isn't 300W a lot to dissipate with a single rad, even with a high cfm fan?

It depends on the fins per inch of the rad and the fan. Koolance has some dense 30 fpi rads that require a 2k+ fan rpm to be effective. But if you spring for a stronger fan, they claim 400w for their 120.1 rads and 1300w for their 120.3.

It depends on the fins per inch of the rad and the fan. Koolance has some dense 30 fpi rads that require a 2k+ fan rpm to be effective. But if you spring for a stronger fan, they claim 400w for their 120.1 rads and 1300w for their 120.3.

We are way past that in the discussion. The card is only 163 watts under Furmark, and thats just the card, not total system usage.

But your right, a really high FPI rad and hovercraft fans can really increase heatload dissipation to crazy amounts.

Back