• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who has a P55M-UD4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But mine is 4GBRL, the one in the list is 4GBNQ... does that mean anything?

And how to flash bios, from OS? I already have an OS on my hard drive, just waiting for mobo to show up, usually I can still boot into win..

Gigabyte allows you to update the BIOS through a program called q-flash which is actually launched from the BIOS. All you need is a flash drive. And yes, even though your RAM has a slightly different part number, rest assured it will work fine.

Could you get 8G's to work on it?

Also, to load new bios, you just extract the new bios (F8.exe) in a thumb drive?

When you double click the .exe, it should extract the actual BIOS file along with some others files. Just load all those files (should be 3 or 4) onto the root of your flash drive.

Yeah, I had 8GB working on it. Upgraded to this board because I wen't SLI and needed extra slot for TV tuner. With P55M-UD4 all of my slots were covered by the video cards, otherwise it was an awesome board. I kinda wish I had stuck with it.

Yeah, I had 8GB working on it. Upgraded to this board because I wen't SLI and needed extra slot for TV tuner. With P55M-UD4 all of my slots were covered by the video cards, otherwise it was an awesome board. I kinda wish I had stuck with it.

Good to hear! Did you try video playback acceleration with it? (ACPI)

Pros: Good feature set.

Good layout, except that that right-angle SATA connectors make a VERY tight fit in a mATX case - straight up-and-down connectors would have worked better.

Generous heat sinks. Lots of overclocker-oriented features.

Best-in-class power consumption. Doesn't beat peers by a lot (5-10W), but every little bit helps.

Cons: This board's BIOS ACPI implementation is broken. If you have a NVidia video board, and try to play video using hardware acceleration, you may experience hard locks when the OS tries to do any ACPI power management shifts (P-state, C1E halt, etc.). You may also experience hard locks when the OS uses another CPU core. The only way I could get my HTPC to not hard lock when playing accelerated video files with a NVidia board was to disable every single power management option in the BIOS, and to disable all but one of the Core i5 CPU cores. This defeats the entire purpose of having a Core i5.

If you boot a Linux boot CD on this board, you will notice an error message on boot saying that ACPI is disabled because the DMI tables' contents are corrupt. You need to use acpi=force to enable ACPI under Linux. Further dumping the tables with Linux tools reveals that things are just bad with the ACPI data on this board.

There is a beta newer bios (F4h vs. F3). Tables are better, lock-ups rema

Other Thoughts: The hardware on this board appears to be well done, it appears to be entirely a software problem. Hopefully, this will get fixed in time. But this board is clearly marketed towards HTPC users, and hard locks when playing video using a NVidia card is a serious flaw. At the moment, that makes this board inappropriate for HTPC use.

I swapped this board for a competitor's P55 board, and all these lock-up problems went away immediately. I can enable power management, and all my CPU cores, and play accelerated video on NVidia without hard locks.

I'm paranoid.. :rain:

All in all, it is an excellent board. As long as your sticking to one GPU its great. If your using two GPUs expect for the entire board to be covered by them. :p

P.S. I had exactly the same set up as you, except I had 8GB. I was able to hit 4.2 on my i5 750.

Awesome, thanks for help guys! Hopefully I dont need more help once I get it :p

Back