• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing WC Parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brunas

Hey everyone, I'm looking at upgrading my current WC setup as I'm swapping out cases, here is my current build and what I'd like to replace it with :

Current:
Case - NZXT Tempest
Rad - Swiftech MCR220
Pump - Thermaltake P500
CPU WB - Swiftech Apogee
Res - Danger Den Dual Bay
Tubing - 3/8"

New:
Case - HAF 932
Rad - ?(MCR 220)
Pump/Res - X2O 750 Dual
CPU WB - Enzotech SCW-REV.A
Tubing - 1/2"

The reviews I've seen for the combined reservoir and pump have been pretty decent, but I've never dealt with one before. Is there a better combined res/pump out there? I'd like to keep my MCR220, as the 932 easily mounts it on the top of the case(I believe), but I don't know if theres a much better upgrade out there. Also, I'll need fans for it, and I'm not sure about those either.

Any suggestions/problems with the new setup (and yeah, I know the old setup was pretty bad, lol).
Also, where can I get 1/2" fittings for the reservoir and radiator?

Thanks!

If you're really looking to upgrade your loop to something higher performance, and you have a willing budget, look into the following parts:

CPU WB: EK Supreme HF, Heatkiller 3.0, or Swiftech Apogee XT

GPU WB: any of the EK Full Cover blocks, or D-Tek Fuzion GPU v2.0 for a non-full cover block

Radiator: EK 120.2 or 120.3 (great budget radiators, and they perform much better than the Swiftech variants

Pump: DDC-2/MCP-355, D5/MCP-655, or EK-DCP 4.0 (it's probably best not to go with the XSPC pump/res combo... there's much better pumps out there for the money

Reservoir: I'm a big fan of EK's reservoirs, but if you're looking for something smaller and cheaper, definitely a Swiftech MCRES-Micro v2.0... otherwise keep your DD Dual Bay res if you like it already

Tubing: anything 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD, or 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD (fits tighter over barbs, and is a bit more flexible) - shy away from silicone tubing like PrimoChill stuff, but anything Tygon is good stuff... I'm personally a big fan of McMaster's MasterKleer brand tubing, as it's cheap, flexible, and it doesn't stain over time like Tygon tends to do

If you're on a bit of a budget, let me know and I'll help you pick out something a bit more economical... but what I listed above is a great mean between optimal performance and being at least somewhat economical pricewise

Those EK reservoirs are awesome, but I',m not entirely sure how I would mount it, haha. With your good advice, I'm looking at this now:

CPU : Apogee XT
Radiator : EK EK-CoolStream RAD-XT 240 (Is this the 120.2 you were talking about)?
Pump : MCP665
Res : EK RES 250 rev 2 or Swiftech MCRES-Micro
Tubing: 1/2" Feser Tubing (Looking through reviews, seems to perform similarly to tygon but comes in the red I would like)

Is there any reason to pick between the EK reservoir and the swiftech one, aside from the EK one being absolutely gorgeous? I'm a little confused looking at the EK reservoir, could I use it as a reservoir, then just unscrew the bottom fitting/plug to drain really easily(That would make life so much easier).

Two relatively stupid questions as well,
First, can you recommend any fans to accompany the radiator. And second, I'm colorblind, and trying to pick coolant colors, haha. I'm trying to use red tubing/black coolant, and just wanted to confirm these look alright : http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...Kink_Tubing_-_UV_Red.html?tl=g30c99s172#blank http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/feonef1coflu2.html

Thanks so much for the help!

That setup you listed above looks great!

The Feser tubing is a great choice for colored tubing - just shy away from PrimoChill's colored silicone tubing

Between the two reservoirs, both the EK and Swiftech reservoirs are great choices... the only reason you'd choose one over the other would be price, as the MCRES-Micro tends to me a more economical choice if you're trying to stay on the budget

and yes, the EK reservoir, you can just unscrew the bottom plug to drain the system and you'll be good... although the MCRES-Micro v2 has a bottom plug to do the same as well

go with what you prefer, they're both great reservoirs... the EK is definitely better looking though :)

edit: the red tubing and black coolant you posted above look good to me... as far as fans go and following your black/red theme, check these out: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=36_49&products_id=23806

Awesome, thanks again for the help, if I can make it not look like suck by the time I'm finished I'll add it to the pictures gallery, haha.

Back