• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help pump error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LawShadow

Hi all,

Well after 24 hours of leaktesting outside the case wich was a succes. I put al my watercooling equipement into my case and tested for a nother 12 hours no leaks. I started my pc and wauw 23c idle i use a core i7 920(stock) with heatkiller 3.0 nickel and a gtx260 sc also watercooled, and a 480 xspc rad. So i shutt of the pc after some hours i turned on the pc and i started to smell something burning i saw a red light on the pump, wich means there is something wrong with the pump. And temps rose quickly to 96c at that point i immediately turned of my pc. I also felt the pump would not have ANY flow.

The pump used is a Aquastream XT reliable and powerfull..........yeah for a short time. I have to say when it runs it was dead sillent and temps where great.

Any way i'm really scared if something got damaged with my hardware.
There is a safe mode right? when temps rise to high then the MB shutts itself automatically if i'm correct. I know the maximum temp for the core i7 is 130c.
But what about the GPU i know they are designed for high temps?

I already send a mail to Aquacomputer for RMA.
Damn...i spend a lot of money into my new rig and wc i'm starting to regret my decision in using watercooling. It wasnt a leak for godsake but a pump faillure. To make things worse one of my quick release fitting o-ring got trashed after draining the system for 40%. Luck is on my side...And money its all empty now. Cant even imagine the stress in waiting for the pump to arrive and hopefully no damage is done to my rig in order to know that i have to wait. My patience is at a very low point 4 days without my pc and now its for sure it will take weeks before i can start my rig again bah!

All those precautions making sure i dont screw up it was all infain...i feel silly.
The most important answer i realy want is the auto shutt of, of the mb (EVGA x58 sli LE) when temps rise high but before that happened i turned of the pc.
In other words why didnt the auto shutt of kicked in? Or should the temps reach higher temps then 96c and is there a poosible damage??

Any way thanks in advance

Last edited:
nothing was likely hurt if you shut down at 96C. have you dissembled the setup and inspected the pump?

hook up some tubing to it and get a bucket and stick the tubes in (make sure to fill the pump with water first) then try turning it on and see what happens.

I've had a number of customer computers with overheating problems where the CPU would reach in excess of 80-90C during boot because of a bad HSF mount. This usually triggered the thermal shutdown in BIOS within a few seconds of boot, but I've never had a system that was damaged by the excessive temperatures that overheating caused. The systems that were OC'd overclocked just the same after I re-mounted the HSF.

CPU's and GPU's are pretty strong when it comes to overheating, and it won't cause any damage if it is only a short term problem... you just don't want to continually run your system when it's pushing anything past 60-70C load. Prolonged use at those temperatures will eventually cause damage at that point.

Thanks for the reply's

Well the heatsink has made good contact i used a nickel plated heatkiller 3.0 wich was lapped like a clean mirror i kid you not, and used Arctic thermal paste MX-3 wich is one of the best there is. And temps where realy nice arround 20 to 23c. (with stock intel HS and stock speeds it was arround 35 to 37 idle) And after i shutt of the pc en turned it on after a couple of hours all of a sudden the pump went dead no flow.

When i tried to figure it out i payed very close attention to the temps it rose quickly in arround 10 sec it reached 96c so i immediately turned it off. its not that i let it run for a very long time the first time i senced something was wrong there was a bad smell burned.
I loooked and temps where rising first 40 then 50 then 70 in bios. I then thought wtf?
Time to shutt down the pc wich i did. I double checked everything and turned the pc on again. And i could smell the burn again wich was the pump, and yes i payed attention to the temps (i can read it on the mb) wich rose fast. At that point i said to my self fu*ck it. Turn off and drain and send the manufacturer an pm and a rma request. Clearly the pump is dead how do i know? because of the rotten smell and red light. Besides if it would start all of a sudden again without any issue i would not take the risk again. What if i'm gone for an hour and at that point the pump has an error again....better get me a new one.

Its just bad luck i do have faith in the Aquastream xt pump wich has very good reviews.
To be frankly i'm really scared of the day when i finally have my pump again and some spare o-rings freeking quickrelease fitting cant take more then 6 in and outs. Or perhaps i'm worried to much time will tell.

The Aquastream is a decent pump, but in all honesty, you'd be much better off with a Laing D5/MCP-655 - it is a much more powerful, and definitely much more reliable watercooling pump

I've run D5's 24/7 for 2 years straight with absolutely no problems. These pumps are definitely at the top of my list.

Looks like a pump failure. Or a fail on the molex etc connector. Connectors can make all sorts of strange things happen. Check them. If you look with a loupe on each male pin you might find a burn mark. making sure the pins are tight is first. bad pump? Sure it happens.

Replace it I guess, bad luck for you.

Thanks for the reply's,

Hmm il check that one out regarding the burned mark on the male pin. If the pump died. Is it likely that other parts are damaged? (the pump took more then its own life). I did not noticed any warnings from the bios no peeping sounds etc so i should expect its all good except the freaking pump!

Oh and i drained only the water from the tubing towards the cpu and gpu and reservoir, Is it fine to let it sit like that until i got my repeaired or new pump after rma? Think it will take arround 5 to 7 days. Because realy disconnecting all the tubing and fittings is just crazy, especialy if everything is leak proof if i disconnect and reassemble everything i might screw things up. Good thing i connected quickrelease fitting on my pump. And the wc rig is in a dark place.

Thanks in advance

Back