• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump Noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elfie

I'm about to buy a pump for a new system (the wife's) and was originally going to buy another Phobya 400. The problem might be that it's a noisy pump at 12v and although my current one runs very quietly at 5v it's out of spec as it's only supposed to start and run at 8v (and it's noisy at that voltage too). I don't suppose there's any guarantee that another will run OK at 5v and also don't know whether long term use at that voltage will damage it.

I know a lot of people here recommend the Swiftech 355 or 655. I've ruled out a 355 as I've read that they are noisy but can anyone tell me how quiet the 655 is on the lower settings. As an example, with my i7 system (specs in sig) and Scythe GT 1450 fans at the lowest setting the hard disks are the loudest thing I can hear. However if I switch the pump to 12v it's annoyingly loud and can be heard over the fans at full speed.

The system I'll be using it in is an overclocked Quad Core 9450 and HD3870, with a Black Ice GT Xtreme 480, probably with another Swiftech MWC60 and an Aquacomputer cuplex XT di block (G1/8 threads with G1/4 adapters). I may swap the Phobya pump to this though and use the new one on my main system.

The problem I have with reviews or comments about the 655 is that people say it's silent but tend not to mention that they have 30dB fans running or have high ambient noise anyway.

Anyone with a 655 and running a quiet system give me an idea please?

I had a D5. I could hear it. It was in my tech stand here
NekkidPCWCTopresized.jpg

So you can see I had Very little fan noise. I could hear the pump a tiny bit if on max, I usually had the pump turned down to 3-4 or so, any lower it impacted my temps.

I don't think the D5 or DDC3.2 (have two) really makes much noise at all to be honest with you.

I had a D5 as well that I found to be very quiet. Now I have Dual DDCs and at 12v they have a very annoying "whiring" high pitched sound to them, which I am going to fix very soon as it's getting on my nerves. Reminds me of the days when computers used to have 40mm fans in them for whatnot. :sly:

I hace the 655 with speed control....low settings no noise near quiet if it were not for the movment of fluid I would think the pump is not running...on max just a slight humm and with my glass front on case no noise... my laptop sitting next to this case makes more noise than it...

I have to agree on the quietness of the 655. I have mine running on 5 and can barely hear it. It's kind of annoying for the first few days until all the air is out of the system but good after that.

Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered a 655 but am having difficulty finding a supplier with an EK Top in stock. For some reason there seems to be a shortage of both the pump and top in the UK.

Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered a 655 but am having difficulty finding a supplier with an EK Top in stock. For some reason there seems to be a shortage of both the pump and top in the UK.

Have you tried looking for a Bitspower top for it? They seem to do just as good as the EK, if I remember right from the reviews. If not, it was close. I will see if I can dig up a link. I remember Sidewinders seemed to have them.

Edit: I know you said you are in UK, so I am posting this link to show you what you may be looking for: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/bid5modtop.html

The reason it was out of stock was that my supplier coaxed this last EK top out of him and I've now just bought it at a reduced price with free postage. Whoopee

The reason it was out of stock was that my supplier coaxed this last EK top out of him and I've now just bought it at a reduced price with free postage. Whoopee

Sounds like you may have gotten it, or was that their response to an inquiry? Kind of insane that something that seems so easy to find stateside is so hard to find across the pond. Isn't EK a UK based company anyway?:shrug:

It may even be Thermochill that I am thinking of.

I'm guessing that the manufacture of these tops is geared to supply of the pumps and as they've pretty much dried up in the UK that may be the reason. Apparently Laing didn't resupply Swiftech with the 655s or something along those lines.

Just had my order confirmed.

I'm guessing that the manufacture of these tops is geared to supply of the pumps and as they've pretty much dried up in the UK that may be the reason. Apparently Laing didn't resupply Swiftech with the 655s or something along those lines.

Just had my order confirmed.

At any rate, I hope it works out for you.:thup:

If you don't mind my asking, was there a specific reason you were looking for the replacement top? I have the stock top on mine, and it is working great. The only reason I could think of, is maybe you are running a size of tubing other than 7/16" or 1/2"?:shrug:I think one one if the UK sites I came across, there is a version that is modded by Performance PC's, which basically has the stock barbs cut off the pump, and it is tapped for either G1/4" or G3/8" fittings.

Edit: I found it, this is actually a Sidewinders custom job, but I do remember seeing it on one of the UK sites I had looked at. Here is a nice link: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/sicumclad5wi.html

The Performance PC's custom is just the Bitspower mod top and the Bitspower dress up kit, pre-installed. They want about $200 for it, plus whatever shipping is. I don't know that I would pay that, when I can order the parts and install them myself for a whole lot less money (since I already have the pump:D).

Last edited:
Last edited:
I remember that now, I think I saw it a few months ago. Would it require adapters to fit compression fittings and wouldn't those adapters then raise the height of the fittings?

They're charging about £40 for a job that presumably required a hacksaw and tap and die set?

Extremely impressed with it. Rather than wait until I finished making some slight modifications to the case I intend using it in I've fitted it to my main system. I'm giving it a couple of hours of leak testing but the low noise levels are impressive, particularly the lack of vibration. I have made a stand for it and isolated it with rubber washers and foam . I can hear a slight whine at 5 but just under 4 and below it's very quiet. Below 3 and it's so quiet it seems silent. Even at setting 5 I doubt I'd hear it over the hard disks.

Thanks to all who gave me advice.

Either I am not using the right key words, or there are very few threads on silent watercooling on here.

Anyway, I have a 655 in my current setup with 1/2" lines and <15db fans and the only thing I can hear are the HDs.

My problem is that they are very large, and My next system will be dual loops and even though I will be using a larger case (obsidian 700d most likely) I would like to keep it clean. I've never seen such a contraption, but is there such a thing as a DUAL 655/Res combo? I've seen the primochill single 655 ones, but I can't afford to use 4 5.25"bays.

Thanks!

if your still looking, i have a MCP355 (undervolted at about 7-8v and i cant hear it) if you get the mcp350, thats quieter still

as long as its got no air in the loop, and is soft mounted, then the mcp355 (with a slight undervolt) or mcp350 are nice and quiet.

Back