• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Graphics Card Predicament (5870)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gwiggles

Here's the problem:

I'm looking to buy two 5870s in the next few days. I had ORIGINALLY planned to watercool both of them along with my CPU, but lately I've been having second thoughts about it.

I'm stuck between two versions of the card. They're both ASUS, but one is a reference-PCB and the other is not. Here they are:

Asus 5870 Matrix Design (V2)
Pros:
-Looks REALLY good/will match my Black+Red theme
-Better cooler compared to Asus' reference design
-PCI Powercable plugs on the end of the card (Better for my case)
Cons:
-Non-reference PCB i.e. EK Waterblock won't fit on it. Asked Eddy if one was in the works and he said they "might" make one, but they haven't planned to make one yet.

Asus 5870 Reference Design (V1)

Pros+cons are pretty much EXACTLY opposite of above.
-The power plugs are on the top of the card which arises the need for a cable extender...
-Although it is black and red, it doesn't look as sexy, but I guess that doesn't matter with this one as it will be naked anyway?

Anyway, I don't know if I should bother to even watercool my GPUs for a few reasons:
-5870s already run very cool
-the power-plugs on the top of the V1 card
-Probably $500+
-my case (Banchetto 101) only supports one 120.3 rad. Though, as seen in Conundrum's Watercooling Rebuild, two 120.3 rads can be mounted quite easily. In my opinion, it doesn't look as good as just one rad on the back.

I guess I'm looking for people to convince me either way. I'm sorry if I didn't include all the necessary information to help me =/ let me know

thanks,
-Gwiggles

If your not sure about going to WC yet....heres my suggestion to you....build your own... get some cheap/old parts and build a WC setup from scratch.... if you start to find yourself spending every waking moment on the build..then you've been bitten by the WC bug and you are ready to WC anything and everything. WaterCooling is an Art, Hobby, Experience, Money Pit, and most of all Self Satisfing...

it is a big leap but one you will not regret or soon forget....

Yeah, thanks? I don't know why you're telling me this. =/ I've already started Watercooling and in turn I guess I've been "bitten by the WC bug". :p

Oh, no. I know that! I would never run two 5870s AND an i7 on one 120.3

I was planning on buying a second XSPC RX360 for the 5870s.

Yeah, I'm sure it will be enough if I decide to WC, but I know that already! :p

I think you *might* want to go back and read the last part of the post hehe

Back