• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6X58D-Extreme Vs. Asus P6X58D Premium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richie13

Hi folks,

Can someone explain the difference between these two boards? What I have figured out is the "E" has the Marvell 9128 controller where as the Premium uses the 9123, I think, unless I have that backwards, but I'm trying to figure out which board is better for Ocing and general use.

Also, the "E" only has one Lan controller, but this is fine for me. From what information I've been able to research, just like the Premuim version, the "E" seems to have the MEMok feature too. Anyone have any comments about this Extreme board. The price is very tempting for me. Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131641

Here's what I found from other forums. My "E" build just up. ; )

P6X58D "E" vs "Premium"

- P6X58D-E has USB 3 & SATA6
- P6X58D-E has Marvell® 9128 while P6X58D Premium has Marvell® 9123 Controller. It means the E version has a better controller and supports RAID better. E version also supports RAID in SATA 6gb not Premium
- P6X58D-E also has better VIA® VT6308P controller while the Premium has VIA® VT6308 (IEEE 1394)
- P6X58D-E only has 1 Gigabit LAN controller Marvell 88E8056® while Premium has 2.
- P6X58D-E doesnt have the RESET button on the motherboard while the Premium has, but both have the POWER and MEMOK buttons.
- Premium's chipset cooling solution is slightly different / better

Here's what I found from other forums. My "E" build just up. ; )

I felt the "E" was better suited for my needs and is what I built for myself last week. My OC wasn't as great as I initially thought due to a mistake I made only a novice PC builder should have run into. But I'm getting this mobo slowly back up to the 4.2 GHz OC level I initially had. Thanks for all the great information you posted.

Last edited:
Just want to know if this board does Turbo Throttling while priming and if S3 sleep is normal. I want to buy it, but need to know the answers.

Just want to know if this board does Turbo Throttling while priming and if S3 sleep is normal. I want to buy it, but need to know the answers.

Hi Harbin,

Mine doesn't throttle under the most stressful portions of Prime95 or Intel BurnTests, but my FHS has kept my temps well under control. As of now, I'm slightly OC'd to 3.88 GHz, and with speedstep, it tops out at 4.0 GHz and the 22x muliplier. I see temps in the range of 68c-72c. Should you have a less than adequate HS, you should be able to disable the CPU TM function within the BIOS, but I'd get a good HS and be done with it. Although I haven't seen temps higher than 72C, I did disable the feature on mine.

As for S3 sleep, I've had issue trying to get my computer to wake, like many others have, so I haven't set my system to utilize the S3 feature. Should I decide to, I may have to download a fix in order to wake my system using my USB keyboard. Still, if you need to use S3, I don't see it should be a problem for you. I'll double check all of this and set the S3 feature within the BIOS and get back to you how well it works.

Last edited:
Something to add, if I may ?

From the research I have done, (about a month's worth online and on the phones at Asus), the P6X58D-E does not support Intel TurboBoost Technology. Most of us today build the 58 series with an i7 920/930 with the intention of OC'ing the snap out of it, and as such, many of us will be disabling this in BIOS anyway. If I'm mistake, someone, PLEASE, correct me?!

Something to add, if I may ?

From the research I have done, (about a month's worth online and on the phones at Asus), the P6X58D-E does not support Intel TurboBoost Technology. Most of us today build the 58 series with an i7 920/930 with the intention of OC'ing the snap out of it, and as such, many of us will be disabling this in BIOS anyway. If I'm mistake, someone, PLEASE, correct me?!

Hi Cloud,

Glad to have you part of the conversation.

I have Turbo boost enabled within my bios and operational within my Win7 64 bit OS. On this board, you get one extra clock, from x21 to x22. It actually works very well. But you are correct as far as most simply disable it anyway.

Thanks, Richie!!!

(Being Humble is my motto)

Seems I got too "cloudy", what with all the fluff being tossed around elsewhere. SO, for all those on Newegg looking at that P6X58D, suddenly seeing the P6X58D-E, comparing the specs side-by-side, and seeing the TurboBoost missing on one...

BOTH BOARDS SUPPORT TURBOBOOST!

Thanks again, Richie. Along with others on OCF, You have saved myself (and possibly many others) $80!:thup:

Back