• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EK-D5 DUAL TOP - why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hsnopi

so I have been looking to play about wiht my WC setup again. my sig has a link to the build. I am thinking about another rad. I have a feser triple but I jsut started FaH on the quad core and temps are hitting 60 c. I don't oc. I want quiet so would looove a passive option but I digress.

What is the point of the EK-D5 DUAL TOP? other then another mounting option or something.

I was under the impression it was a series pump set-up?

I think there are also some minor, but significant, modifications to the pump chamber as well adding a little performance to an already great pump ... :)

now I am curious again! as I am considering a second pump in series. though how much of a performance over just hooking it up with tubes there is I do not know.

For me the price isn't worth it - but I'm kind of a cheap-skate. ;) If I were looking for bling, though, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and I'd get some extra performance, too! (For me that would mean turning down the pumps even more.)

But dual MCP-655's can push though almost anything all by themselves and $100 will by a lot of other hardware ... :shrug:

I was under the impression it was a series pump set-up?
There are to different tops, one is a inline series pump.

d5-dual-top_1000.jpg

The other is a dual loop top.

d5-dual-top-2-loops-back_front_600.jpg

That's is the one i am going to use in my build but i not going to use it in dual loops, but inline.

full.png

I think there are also some minor, but significant, modifications to the pump chamber as well adding a little performance to an already great pump ... :)
Yep read here a D5 round up of all different top's

D5-5_PerfChart.jpg

There are to different tops, one is a inline series pump.

d5-dual-top_1000.jpg

The other is a dual loop top.

d5-dual-top-2-loops-back_front_600.jpg
The top pic is the one I was thinking about but I'd also seen reviews of the dual-pump top, which is probably why I was confused. I did some digging on my own this morning but still hadn't found the second top to confirm or deny the difference. Makes sense now.

Thanks! :)

I think btw the dual loop top is better then the inline top as you can use the second pump halfway in your loop, so you get it to pull/push on both pumps.

When you use to pumps inline you get a higher pressure build up at your first block, and dropping pressure after every other block.
Ware if you have the second pump halfway it will suck/pull water from the first blocks and generate extra pressure in the second part of the loop, and doing the same for the first pump, resulting in the end in a higher flow.

See it like this, you have a round tank whit a diameter of 10m/30ft, you wrap around it a rope and bind the ends together.
what would work better pulling the rope around the tank?
Two man standing at the same point ore one man standing on eider site of the tank.

I tend to think of basic water loop concepts more in terms of an electrical circuit. If I line up three flashlight bulbs and two batteries I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter where I put the two batteries in the circuit. If there's enough battery power to run all the lights then they'll all light up and have the same brightness. If there isn't enough power then none of them will light.

No, the only difference I see in pump placement is how much of the work is being done by push or by pull, and with water it's a lot less decisive than with air because water doesn't compress. With air the differences are minor but measurable, with water I'm not sure it would make a difference. As you can see by my sig loop I do have my pumps separated but I've mulled this over for many years (I've been running a double-pump loop since July '06) and still haven't come to a definitive conclusion but in the end I'm guessing there's no measurable difference.

BTW
Adding more tubing to the loop to run back and forth to the pump area will also add resistance to the loop ...

No you cant compare water whit electricity, *** water has friction elec dose not.

By puling on the water you release some of the friction, its releases the pressure you build up pushing at the walls of the blocks, this helps specially whit high flow/pressure pumps like the D5s.

No you cant compare water whit electricity, *** water has friction elec dose not.

By puling on the water you release some of the friction, its releases the pressure you build up pushing at the walls of the blocks, this helps specially whit high flow/pressure pumps like the D5s.

Electricity/electrons DO "have" friction, just not in any practically measurable quantity, for most purposes. Electron friction (heat) is one of the reasons CPUs keep moving down in size.

Electricity/electrons DO "have" friction, just not in any practically measurable quantity, for most purposes. Electron friction (heat) is one of the reasons CPUs keep moving down in size.
Yeah you are right but compared to mechanical friction, this friction would be in a totally other scale and there for the to are not comparable, and the example used by QuietIce those not hold.

Its would be like comparing a magnetic bullet train friction one the tracks whit a normal train.

You're saying at a fixed rate of flow the resistance (friction) inside a block or length of tubing is greater if the water pressure is higher? I don't see that.

If we were talking about air I could see it, since air compresses and there would be more atoms slamming against the walls, but I just don't see that happening with water ...

If what you ware saying is true then for example all blocks would preform linear, but as you know some preform better at low flow others at high.

Because a power resistor reacts linear and resistance is depending on the amount of power and size.

Here is a graph of water blocks as you can see the resistance is not linear.

Results22A13.png

But if you still don't believe me i am willing to do test's at the moment i get all my new stuff, you just have to wait till its all in stock because some of my parts are in back order, and will take over a month before they can be delivered, so put up a email notification on this tread i will post my results when i have the setup.

I don't see water pressure on that graph, nor have I ever seen water pressure adjustments on a PQ graph. As long as there is sufficient pressure in a loop to overcome the pressure drop (resistance/friction) of all the components in a loop it doesn't matter what the pressure is. What does matter is flow rate, as any PQ graph will show. Flow rate is not the same as pressure.

Take a loop with one pump and five Swiftech XT blocks in a closed loop. Pressure is highest at the pump outlet and continues to drop after each block. If you're right then blocks #1, #3, and #5 will all perform differently since the water pressure at each block is different. There are plenty of graphs showing the various performance parameters of the XT block so it should be easy for you to find one that reflects that difference ...

Last edited:
Back