• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MC Aquagate Max vs H50

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s4Lty

Registered
Why is it that they have almost the same temps. The MC actually has higher temps idle is 59*C and under load goes to 90*C. This is sad considering my h50 is getting RMA for having air bubbles in it and less liquid the its suppose to.

System is:
EVGA X58 SLI Micro.
Intel Core i7-930 @4GHZ.
2 MSI GeForce GTX260 (1 is in my water loop, getting same temps as with the stock cooler)
12GB of RAM.
Thermaltake Armor+ MX Case

There is Flow from what the flow meter is showing and has no kinks.
My loop goes like this:
Auqagate main unit(pump/reservoir) ---> CPU ---> GPU ---> Radiator ---> Aquagate main unit.

I'm using Feser One Cooling as the coolant.

Unfortunately I had to mount the rad inside the bottom of the case.
Once I get more fluid and more tubing Ill try to build a mount for the outside of the case. But I've read a review of someone with the exact same build getting 40-47*C under load using Prime 95.

Should I get 2 "Y" splitter to split to the CPU and GPU individually?
Any help will be great.
Ill be able to answer questions pretty quick once I'm awake, using my iphone.
Thanks in advance.

PS: How do I drain the system while losing the less amount of coolant, since the pump needs to be primed before starting?

your getting higher temps from the CM Aquagate Max because there is more heat being dumped into it then the H50.

the Aquagate Max isn't a good kit by any means, but since you already spent your money i would wait until you have your h50 back and put the h50 on the cpu. then get a block for the gpu's and use the Aquagate Max for your gpu's.

though ideally i would go full custom on both cpu and gpu's ditching the Aquagate Max and H50 altogether.

Ok the aquagate had amazing reviews for a "kit" and can handle many add ons.
This is essentially a full water cooling system. No top of the line block or rad but i do have a swifttec block for my GPU which is quite good from the word on the street(swifttec being amazing). I'm not asking for you to tell me that a full custom water system would be better(i know its better) but I don't have that kind of money. I'm asking why is my system giving me such high results compared to the exact same built with the h50(which in all fairness shouldn't be). Even with the aquagate max same specs on other systems they get better results then I do, as mentioned in my first post.

I'm not posting here to get useless info like "The water system you got suck, go custom". I'm looking for info on what can be causing the high temps with my current water system that has been proven to give temps of 47*C under load with a variety of systems, some the exact same as mine, some better, some worst.

Please give constructive advice on improving results of my current setup/system only. I will eventually be upgrading my rad and cpu block to better ones. But till them I'm sticking with what I got.

Thanks again to those who has usefull tips and help to give me.

This is essentially a full water cooling system. No top of the line block or rad but i do have a swifttec block for my GPU which is quite good from the word on the street(swifttec being amazing). I'm not asking for you to tell me that a full custom water system would be better(i know its better) but I don't have that kind of money. I'm asking why is my system giving me such high results compared to the exact same built with the h50(which in all fairness shouldn't be). Even with the aquagate max same specs on other systems they get better results then I do, as mentioned in my first post.

I'm not posting here to get useless info like "The water system you got suck, go custom". I'm looking for info on what can be causing the high temps with my current water system that has been proven to give temps of 47*C under load with a variety of systems, some the exact same as mine, some better, some worst.

Please give constructive advice on improving results of my current setup/system only. I will eventually be upgrading my rad and cpu block to better ones. But till them I'm sticking with what I got.

Some tips from me:

Slow down nobody was giving you a hard time just pointing out the facts as they are. Now 1st off you will not get any help asking like that.:argue: 2nd off he is right the kit is not that good of a choice and nothing you say will change that. 3rd How do you know your H50 has more as you would put it bubbles than it should. Maybe it didn't cool because of the same problem your are having here. 4th all systems will respond different even if the same hardware. How well it was installed, was the block set right, what fans you are using, room temp and direction of air flow in the case. Is it sitting on carpet or a desk. Many things can make the temps go up or down. 5th know who your talking to. You just knocked on one of the top w/c on here and you should not take offense so quickly or personal. Just ask listen and improve your build knowledge. You should know how to drain and prime your system before w/c a rig so read up. Good luck on this. :D

Ok, so after a few changes that dont require purging and filling the system, I've got some better results.
This is the original results from inside the case.
RAD In Case:
Idle = 56-58*C
Prime 95 100% Load = 93-94*C

I've taken out the rad from the system to just hang out of my case and the results are somewhat better.
RAD Out of Case:
Idle = 46*C
Prime 95 100% Load = 74-81*C

While this is better then my previous results, there must be a better way to keep it cooler then 78*C average under Prime 95 100% load.

Any other ideas?
Ill be making a custom bracket to mount the Rad outside the case, but any other options I can use to make this even colder then what it is with the current system?
These test are Ran for 5Minutes(this is long enough to tell me what the average temps will be in the long run.)
I'm not going for a record or anything, I just want a good 60ish*C 100% Price 95 test.

Once again, don't tell me to get a full costume water system.

Thanks again.

You really need more rad to cool your system. That rad is hardly enough for the CPU. Most of us run atleast a triple rad just on the CPU it's self. So your temps will never be perfect till you get rid of some more heat. You can try higher speed/pressure fans. Our take the gpu out of the loop. I'm not going to tell you to go full custom loop here but you only get so much for every bill you spend. The more money spent on better cooling = better cooling. By the way you notice not to many trying to help here. You will always have someone telling you to change something when you post on a forum.

Last edited:
Some tips from me:

Slow down nobody was giving you a hard time just pointing out the facts as they are. Now 1st off you will not get any help asking like that.:argue: 2nd off he is right the kit is not that good of a choice and nothing you say will change that. 3rd How do you know your H50 has more as you would put it bubbles than it should. Maybe it didn't cool because of the same problem your are having here. 4th all systems will respond different even if the same hardware. How well it was installed, was the block set right, what fans you are using, room temp and direction of air flow in the case. Is it sitting on carpet or a desk. Many things can make the temps go up or down. 5th know who your talking to. You just knocked on one of the top w/c on here and you should not take offense so quickly or personal. Just ask listen and improve your build knowledge. You should know how to drain and prime your system before w/c a rig so read up. Good luck on this. :D

OK this reply was more useful.
I'm quite aware that a kit isn't the greatest.
But as mentioned in my first post, I'm looking to improve what I have.
Its irritating having people go straight to "your system sucks, get custom".
My system is on carpet its got a gape of about 1/2" from the carpet on the front going all the way to the back of the case. Ill look into draining my system since I will be mounting my rad on the outside of my case since it's quite better in cooling as my post results show.
Is there an order in which I should put my set up in, like the rad after the pump or the rad last, or what ever other config there is.
My room temp is about 23*C.

I don't mean to knock anyone. Even if you are the best moder/WC in the world, telling me to go custom is useless info considering I already know that, but can't afford it. I'm just asking to improve my current setup and that's all.
I've got one step figured out(putting the rad outside the case). Now what else can I do?

My system is on carpet its got a gape of about 1/2" from the carpet on the front going all the way to the back of the case. Ill look into draining my system since I will be mounting my rad on the outside of my case since it's quite better in cooling as my post results show.
Is there an order in which I should put my set up in, like the rad after the pump or the rad last, or what ever other config there is.
My room temp is about 23*C.

I don't mean to knock anyone. Even if you are the best moder/WC in the world, telling me to go custom is useless info considering I already know that, but can't afford it. I'm just asking to improve my current setup and that's all.
I've got one step figured out(putting the rad outside the case). Now what else can I do?

You will not see much diffrents in temps by changing the order but try having the rad go into the cpu first. And minimize the hose use. You want the least amount of hose possible. Make sure to have the rad not to take on any heat from exhaust fans or PSU. What fans are you using?

You really need more rad to cool your system. That rad is hardly enough for the CPU. Most of us run atleast a triple rad just on the CPU it's self. So your temps will never be perfect till you get rid of some more heat. You can try higher speed/pressure fans. Our take the gpu out of the loop. I'm not going to tell you to go full custom loop here but you only get so much for every bill you spend. The more money spent on better cooling = better cooling.

Yeah, I was actually having problems with the cooling of my GPU more then my CPU. While playing Crysis with high settings or WarHammer 40K: DoW II I was getting overheating issues. MY GPU was hitting high 80-90*C.

The rad I have is unfortunately aluminum, this is the first part I plan to upgrade since copper is allot better.
I'm using factory fans on the rad and the case. I've got the H50 fan blowing on my NB since it gets REALLY hot(burns my fingers) without it, but keeps its quite nice with the fan. Fans are running 100% from what I can tell.

I'm going to bed now, but I'll be replying to anything else/questions once I wake up and while I'm at work.

Thanks again.

Have you tried remounting the block with quality paste? The temperatures you quote are way too high so it could be a bad mount or too much/little paste.

What are your ambient temperatures?

The NB/X58 chip doesn't normally run particularly hot, what voltages are you using for IOH and vcore?

EDIT - I've just realised you're running a GPU in the same loop :shock: Have you tried it with just the CPU only?

Have you tried remounting the block with quality paste? The temperatures you quote are way too high so it could be a bad mount or too much/little paste.

What are your ambient temperatures?

The NB/X58 chip doesn't normally run particularly hot, what voltages are you using for IOH and vcore?

EDIT - I've just realised you're running a GPU in the same loop :shock: Have you tried it with just the CPU only?

My room temp is 23*C.
I haven't tried just the CPU since this cooling is for both CPU and gpu.
The gpu is what is really overheating during gaming, that's why I upgraded, so I can cool both CPU and gpu with the same loop.

I did forget to mention that I'm using arctic silver 5 as my thermal compound.
I've checked to see if the past spread evenly and it does.
I usually spread the past on my CPU with my finger in a nice uniform thing but not too thin layer.

I did get a 10*C drop in temps from having the rad outside of the case.
I'll be working at making a braket to mount it on the back ouside the case and using less tubing.

What are the opinions on 90degree elbows being used in WC?

Thanks again.

I'm still learning about watercooling but as Spawn said you're dumping too much heat load into the loop with having both of them in there.

I generally found that the line method of applying AS5 worked best and using your finger can transfer grease to the paste. smoothing it out with a razor blade or cling film on your finger is better, the thinner the better. You only need a small amount of AS5.

Use 45 degree fittings if you can. A couple of 90 degree fittings wouldn't normally be a problem with a decent pump but I suspect that the Aquagate one is a pretty basic low flow one so I'd avoid them if you can.

Because its true.
Hi! Welcome to OcForums ;)
Do u have pic? of your systems.
Can we known how many u spent on h50 + mcaquagate thing. can't find someone selling the aquagate so i have no clue what is it...
If u spent more than 250$ then u just lose the possibility of buying an high end h20 loop... (mine cost me 200$ included 8 delta 3400 fan)
I dont think u can do anything else to have better temps except buying some really loud fan. because u can't add an another rad - cpu block because of this alluminium rad. It will create galvanisation and...

I'm still learning about watercooling but as Spawn said you're dumping too much heat load into the loop with having both of them in there.

I generally found that the line method of applying AS5 worked best and using your finger can transfer grease to the paste. smoothing it out with a razor blade or cling film on your finger is better, the thinner the better. You only need a small amount of AS5.

Use 45 degree fittings if you can. A couple of 90 degree fittings wouldn't normally be a problem with a decent pump but I suspect that the Aquagate one is a pretty basic low flow one so I'd avoid them if you can.

I've read that the aquagate has a 2M head (or what ever that is called).
I think I would only be using 2 90degree elbows.
I didn't think about using cling wrap on my finger, that's a good idea.
Ok, i have a few things that I can try to improve on.
Thanks allot. Other info is more then welcomed while I work on the current fixes.

Because its true.
Hi! Welcome to OcForums ;)
Do u have pic? of your systems.
Can we known how many u spent on h50 + mcaquagate thing. can't find someone selling the aquagate so i have no clue what is it...
If u spent more than 250$ then u just lose the possibility of buying an high end h20 loop... (mine cost me 200$ included 8 delta 3400 fan)
I dont think u can do anything else to have better temps except buying some really loud fan. because u can't add an another rad - cpu block because of this alluminium rad. It will create galvanisation and...

You can see on Frozen CPU website and the Master Cooler website.
Loud fans don't bother me in the slightest.
I spent $224 total on the aquagate max, the swiftec water block for my gpu and a bottle of feser one cooling.
I will be upgrading to a copper rad by the end of this year, just can't afford it right now.

well i guess you didn't read my post.... i never once said you setup sucks... thermal take sucks, yours is well, better, but nothing to brag about.

here are some water cooling guides, if you read them you will realize you cannot expect the same results that other people have even with the exact same setup, there are far to many variables. what you need to be concerned with is are your overclocks stable and within the temp range of your cpu and or gpu limits. if they are there is no reason to have lower temps.

your cm kit has higher temps because there is more heat being put into it then the H50.

http://overclockerstech.com/index.p...s&catid=40:overclocking-and-cooling&Itemid=88

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide

Last edited:

The pump is actually a decent one i think it is an EK. When you upgrade you can remove and use that pump with a diffrent res. Not sure on this but from the pic's and what there site says i think it is an EK pump.

I found the pump and it is an EK: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_201&products_id=26772

Last edited:
The pump is actually a decent one i think it is an EK. When you upgrade you can remove and use that pump with a diffrent res. Not sure on this but from the pic's and what there site says i think it is an EK pump.

I found the pump and it is an EK: http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_201&products_id=26772

spec wise thats what it's equal to, but what about quality. the internal shot i could find of it it seems to look like the same pump so likely the same quality.

This may sound dumb but, what effect does the res have on lowering temps?

none, once the loop as reach equilibrium.

so if you had a res the size of a pool and your room temp was 20C then you would enjoy low temps for a good chunk of time, but eventually the constant heat from your cpu/gpu/etc would heat it up until it evens out.

res is strictly a looks thing as well as making bleeding go faster.

Back