• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First i7 extreme cooling results (not good)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Well had a couple pounds of DIce left over and tried freezing the i7.

Made a couple of rookie mistakes. Its warm and humid now, so paper towels are going to be essential next time I bench, (board stayed dry, but top of eraser was wet).

th_i7dice003.jpg

F1 pot HUGE difference. Hit a cold bug? You can just walk away for 10 minutes to let it warm up the 2-3C to get it working again.

Did not tape the probe into place (mistake number 145). Pulled it out accidentally, and because the socket is surrounded on 3 sides by heatsinks... had to just jam it in under the pot as best I could.

This was first OC session since I got the board back from OCGMJ (sp?) he hooked me up fresh with a PCIE mod so I could increase my BCLK.

Didn't think I need a paper towel collar around the bottom of the pot since the insulation came all the way down. Well I was wrong. :)

th_i7dice005.jpg

Yes that is an ice collar around the bottom of the pot lol

Dicing is FUN!!! And splatter is easy controlled with a table spoon cover :) (this was very first spoonful of DIce just threw a rock in before that to get her started while I flashed the hard drive :) Hence no frost yet.

th_i7dice001.jpg

Oh and I did wrap the top in papertowel as well. two sheets folded long ways 4 times and wrapped around it.not taped or anything just let the screws hold it in place. Also the thumbscrews ended up relieving them till there was no rod left sticking out of the top (thanks Bill!)

Despite all the above. I managed to OC only about as far as your average aircooler :(

Bit rusty on i7. So deinsulated the board so it can dry off real well. tomorrow will go back to watercooling and see if I can figure out what the problem is. Tried 3 different BIOSes as well. All to no avail.

Hit a cold bug on the CPU. Not sure EXACTLY what temp.. my probe is off a bit (put probe in a cup of dry ice powder and it reads -70C) plus in this instance the probe was not in the pot hole but kinda right there in along the side. Max cold reading was -54c... off about 10C on normal readings. But when my probe hit -49C PC would freeze up and restart to a black screen. Or if it was still dropping, it would boot and do nothing (no post code nothing..) even colder it would turn on flash and shut off.

Tried letting it warm up a bit. And it definitely helped. System was much snappier

220BCLK was still out of stable reach though.

*sigh

Guess my luck is with air/water not extreme cooling

Am going to go LN2 on the AMD's next week though.. have to test this dewar out before I ship it out to Hawaii. (Its not economical for me to have a 35L when I can get 160L for less than twice the money)

Forgot about the new forum addon that messes up images

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/...ockaholics/?action=view&current=i7dice001.flv flash file

highres shot of the ice collar
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u153/cyber42punk/Overclockaholics/i7dice005.jpg

Eraser lover
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u153/cyber42punk/Overclockaholics/i7dice003.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the problems bro. :( LN2 is fun...best of luck :D

Last edited:
Wow, cold bug on dice? I didn't realize that still happened! Thought it was a socket 462 trick.

Sounds like a good learning experience at the very least.

Do a livestream with the LN2!

Wow, cold bug on dice? I didn't realize that still happened! Thought it was a socket 462 trick.

Sounds like a good learning experience at the very least.

Do a livestream with the LN2!

I had an i5 750 ES that I couldn't bench with DI because cold bug was around -40 :eek:

Think this one actually bugs at around -60. I did not have the probe mounted in the right spot as I pulled it out and then could not access it because it was already mounted. So temp is more a guesstimate based on what it actually read and what it should have read.

Testing the setup on water tonight. Then it is getting put aside so I can test my hyperX mem on the AMD setup for some LN2 fun this week.

Killed my BR, but I gotta classified coming in. Should know of hte board was bugged or the CPU next week :)

Back