• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Turbo V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

Is the ASUS Turbo V a good overclocking utility for beginners?

I'm not quite comfortable entering the BIOS yet.

From what I've read it seems very simple and achieves good results.

What I want to do is take my new 920 to around 3.4-3.5GHz.

Thoughts?

I would recommend that you should master overclocking using the bios 1st and then use the windows based OC tools once you feel comfortable with OC'ing your CPU.

ausu's turboV tool is good if your trying to push minor tweaks while in windows since it actually changes the settings in the bios directly. The only issue is you may find yourself with some settings that are barely stable in windows once booted from lower settings but you'll find that thoes settings wont let you boot again unless you clock to them once booted. You'll need to use the bios though since turboV and AMD Overdrive (i think) cant change stuff like HT link speeds.
Though you should get your footing first using the bios so you can get an idea of how your processor/mem/mobo handles and what it likes

This video is something that led me to ask the question in the first place:

This video is something that led me to ask the question in the first place:

Do you have a high performance heatsink fan?

I like that video, the cozy way. I've been oveclocking to many years, Give the auto overclock a try tell me how far it gets with your overclock, then save the settings and then try your self and see if you can do better in Bios.:beer:

Last edited:
Is the ASUS Turbo V a good overclocking utility for beginners?

I'm not quite comfortable entering the BIOS yet.

From what I've read it seems very simple and achieves good results.

What I want to do is take my new 920 to around 3.4-3.5GHz.

Thoughts?
What's up Jdawg. I have the same Mobo & CPU. Turbo V works very well for OC'ing but it only lets you adjust e few of the voltage settings and the Bclock in the Bios while you're in Windows. There are a lot of other settings that you need to adjust to get a stable OC that you can only do directly from in the bios. With good aftermarket cooling you should be able to get 3.6ghz. With awesome air cooling I've heard of people easily hitting 4.0ghz. I can't help you on which air coolers are the best because I'm on water. Watch your temps, don't use the Mobo temp probe use another temp monitoring software, RealTemp works good. Asus has bios profile sharing software but unfortunately I only have 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 and 4.53ghz stable profiles. Even the lowest 4.2ghz I feel would be too much for air cooled. I'll tell you what, let me reboot and I'll write down those other bios settings for you and I'll get back to you.

Jdawg - Here's those P6X58D bios settings for when you feel comfortable in the bios. After you do it a few times it's no big deal. These settings should keep you stable for using Turbo V. Once you get the hang of Turbo V I think you're going to like it. I think there's some settings in the bios that will improve the performance of your SSD, ask around.

For quicker OC'ing I run IntelBurnTest at "Maximum" on 8 threads, that only takes about 10-15 minutes. once you find the stable OC you want with safe temps using IntelBurnTest run Prime95 overnight to further test stability all using RealTemp to keep an eye on CPU temps. Don't get too aggressive with your OC's with the stock air cooler, I'd stay under 80'C at load. Check with other people in the forums to see what's the best air cooler for you, I here that some of them work very well and you may be able to get up to 4.0ghz with safe temps.

BTW: You know that 800D is an excellent case for watercooling, it's made to mount up to a 3x120 rad in the top, you can WC your CPU for ~$300 using quality components. Just something to think about for the future, especially if you get into OC'ing. I went to water about 10 years ago and never went back. It's a lot quieter <especially if you WC your video card> and has much better overclocking capability. My daily tune on an i7 920 is 4.2ghz, HT-on, 68'C-load, 40'C-idle. Max so far is 4.53ghz stable, HT-off, 78'C-load, 40'C-idle with a very simple WC loop in an 800D.

I've including some settings at the bottom to help give you quicker boots, you may want to set these first to "get your feet wet" in the bios. - Have Fun

AI Tweaker: <Any setting you don't see in this list leave on "Auto"

A.I. O.C. Tuner - Manual
CPU Ratio - 21.0
Intel Speed Step - Disable
Xtreme Phase Mode - Enable
PCIE Freq - 100mhz
Uclk Freq - Auto
QPI Link Data Rate - Auto
CPU Volt Control -Manual
CPU PLL Volt -1.84v
QPI/DRAM Volt - 1.225v
IOH Volt - 1.14v
IOH/PCIE Volt - Auto
DRAM Bus Volt - 1.64v
Load Line Calibration - Enabled
CPU Diff. Amp. - 800mv
CPU Clock Skew - Delay 300ps
CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled
IOH Clock Skew - Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Disabled

CPU Configuration:

CPU Ratio Setting - 21.0
C1E Support - Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher - Enabled
Adj. Cache Line Prefetcher - Enabled
Intel Virt. Tech - Disabled
CPU TM Function - Enabled
Execute Disable Bit - Enabled
Intel H.T. Tech - Enabled <hyperthreading>
Active Processor Cores - All
A20M - Disabled
Intel Speed Step - Disabled
Intel C-State - Disabled

For Quicker Boots:

Express Gate - Disable - if you don't want to use it
Full Screen Logo - Disable
Marvell 9123 Controller - Disable -This is the SATA III 6gb/sec chip, only disable if you don't have anything hooked up to the SATA III ports <the grey ones> When disabled it won't look for anything hooked up to those and make your boot about about 5 sec quicker.

Wow, that's very cool.

Once the build is complete and I begin overclocking I'll be posting my results!

Thx

EDIT: Which one of the above settings is the one that is defaulted @ 133MHz?

Back