• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shane01101

Registered
Hey Im looking to buy some parts 2 put 2gether a new computer. I need a new Motherboard and CPU and and I hear the best 3 brands are ASUS, Gigabyte and Intel boards. I am going to get an i7 920 I think and use stock cooling but try and OC to 3 to 3.2ghz which I have never OC'ed. Im thinkin of getting the GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R or XFX X58i Motherboard or One of the Many ASUS boards. Price limit is $210 on MB. I just want good sound (8 channel) and optical connection, firewire, and maybe RAID and eSATA. My questions are
1) What board is solid and cheapest under $210 for i7 920
2) Are RAID or eSATA important and would they make a big speed differnce?
3) Also is the i5 750 compareable to i7 920 or is the i7 920 hands down better? Cuz prices r way cheaper on i5 and I was maybe considering that or AMD 965 or 955
4)Does MB matter if its ATX or microATX/uATX?

I just want a fast CPU for light gaming, programming and maybe some encoding stuff.

Personally I love my Gigabyte x58a-UD3r its the best clocking board I have owned and would recommend it to anyone, its alos the chepest board in the UK at the moment with SATA and USB 3 on it.

With regards to RAID and eSATA, I dont use eSATA myself and never have so I cant comment on it, my external drive is USB and does the job so no need to change that, RAID on the other hand will make your system faster if using a RAID0 config.

The benefits of skt 1366 rather than 1156, 1366 is triple channel ram, and you have the availability to upgrade to the 6 core CPU's later, i7 970x is on its way which is the cheaper version of the 980x, skt 1156 wont get these.

Now on the downside, by the end of this year both of the above skt types will be phased out and replaced by intels new toy, sandy bridge, so if you can hold out till then, it might be worth the wait, the one problem that carries of course is new technology is always twice the price.

hope this answers your questions and :welcome: to the forum

I heard sandy bridge isnt going to be much better than 1366 i dont know if that is true though

Back