• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte P35-DS3R Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCSOFTN

Registered
I have been having a problem with my Gigabyte P35 being stable with 4 mem slots populated. I am in the process of trying to figure out what to do to get a stable system. I have tried using all settings as Std. No overclocking the CPU or memory. I have tried under-clocking the memory some. I recently upgraded from an Antec 500 PSU to a Corsair TX750 PSU. I have spoke to Gigabyte and they told me that Crucial was not a tested memory with this system. I have spoke with Crucial and they said that using 4 slots w/ Ballistix memory was a problem, but the memory that I am now using does not have a compatibility issue. At some point I am getting the feeling that I can't populate all four slots with this MB. Is there a different MB that anyone can recommend? Just another bit of info, I am running Win 7 Pro x64

Increase vNB ((G)MCH OverVoltage Control), and / or Vdimm (DDR2 OverVoltage Control). You may also need to loosen the DRAM timings, or increasing numerically the Static tRead Value (TRD / Performance Level); a TRD of 6 is pretty much the norm at a FSB of 400MHz.

Memtest86 will not read my memory as it is set in the Bios, so it just stops at 5%. Prime95 fails every time. I have had 3 motherboards and 3 sets of memory. I have taken this approach for now. I dropped my clock ratio from 9 to 8. I jacked up my CPU up to 400 Mhz giving me 3.2 Ghz. I lowered my memory to 800 Mhz with 6-6-6-18 timings. My system will pass a Sandra burn in test with a max temp of 67c I have no errors at all with the Sandra stress test. I have no more blue screens. I have been building systems for a long time and I have never had a problem like this that I could not figure out. My system still fails under Prime95 and Memtest86, but I can work as hard as I want using as many apps at the same time I need to without crashing. I guess I will just have to accept what I have here until I get another MB, maybe something on the Asus P45 chipset family. Or I can just shell out the jack and build an i7 system. I have been wanting to hold off on the i7 for awhile. By the time I get a MB, processor and DDR3 mem. I am looking at around $ 600.00 to do the upgrade. Another MB would be more in line with what I would like to do, so any MB suggestions would be appreciated.

Will it pass mem86 at stock clocks. and have you tried one memory stick at a time, also try a sticks that passes in different slots, to see if you have a bad board.

With everything at stock clocks It will pass Memtest with only one dimm populated. It does not mater which dimm or which stick of memory. I guess you can see how this can be so damn confusing. I don't know of my chances of getting three bad boards. One interesting thing is that I can put in a new board and memory and at stock clocks run just fine for about two weeks then all hell breaks loose.

All of the boards were from the most current series this latest one is Rev 2.1. I re-flashed the bios each time with the most recent just in case I had a corrupted bios. I purchased the original board from ZipZoomFly. Gigabyte has now taken the stand that Crucial memory is not on their HCL. Therefore I am screwed if trying to get another board from them.

wow, what 3 different memory types did you try. did you send your board in to GIGABYTE 3 times if you did send in the boards did you receive the same serial number.

Last edited:
I only have used Crucial in this build. I have used Crucial memory for about all my builds for the last 10 years. If there was a problem Crucial has always made it right. I first used Ballisix in this build and Crucial admitted that they once had a compatibility issue with this board and Ballistix memory. But an updated Bios on the boards and a change in thier memory voltage took care of the problem. Just to be on the safe side they sent me their latest memory for this board. It is rated faster than the Ballistix at PC8900. They have went out of their way to help me get this figured out. And sent me replacement memory each time I requested. It's looking like I need to use a different brand of board or a different chipset. Hell, I really don't know what to do at this point. I have 8 gigs of Crucial PC8900 memory worth about $275.00 that I know will work in something. Crucial's reputation for good memory has never been an issue with me.

The first replacement was the same board. From that point on I insisted that they send me a different board.

Not Mixing speeds. I think I will get on board with Asus and see what happens. I surely appreciate all of your feedback on this issue. Asus has a few P45 chipset boards I have my eye on. But the board you linked me to has all I really need and it is very affordable.

I think I will put the Gigabyte out about 200 yards on the rifle range for the hell of it.

With everything at stock clocks It will pass Memtest with only one dimm populated. It does not mater which dimm or which stick of memory. I guess you can see how this can be so damn confusing. I don't know of my chances of getting three bad boards. One interesting thing is that I can put in a new board and memory and at stock clocks run just fine for about two weeks then all hell breaks loose.

I would hold off on destrying that board just incase it's the crucial memory that is going bad, just a thought.

Even though you like crucial, they have a bad reputation for dying at the present time.

Hey wingman99 I am going to move a new post over to the Memory forum to see what others are using. Crucial admitted this morning that it had to be a compatability issue with their memory. Glad I didn't shoot the board.

I'm glade you did not shoot the board to because in the past I heard good things about that P35-DS3R gigabyte board and you also tried 3 boards and bad things about Crucial. This just my vote everyone back then liked G.SKILL for most boards.

A thing you could try is look by search in these forms for your board and see what ram there using.

@op-Have you just tried with only the 2 sticks of Ram as having the four puts more stress on NB, as I have a P35-DS3L and Q8800 GO @ 3.2Ghz that all of a sudden with win7 Ult x64 is have issues too with 4 x sticks of Corsair and all sticks are good, works fine in XP , just has problems in Win 7

I had a strange thing happen. When I was using XP Pro I could populate dimms 1 @ 3 and be stable. If I put another in 2 or 4 I was fine, but not all 4. So basically I could only use 3 at one time. I could pass Memtest86 with no problems. Now I can't pass Memtest 86 unless I have just I dimm populated. At the moment I am running all 4 sticks @ 800Ghz with 6-6-6-18 timings. I do not have any desktop crashes or blue screens now. But I am not able to pass Prime95 or Memtest86. I have updated to Win 7 Pro x64.

Back