• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Ideas to cool this BEAST!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scelesta

Registered
First things first, I just got a new camera and I took some pics of my rig/setup!

(I know the cables are a mad mess, believe you me, it looks way better in that pic as opposed to before I did some cable management :p) I AM IN DIRE NEED OF A FAN CONTROLLER! I keep forgetting to go buy one...sigh.

Let's get to the business. Plain and simple, this case is one of the best! It isn't a full-tower Lian li, but it does the job. It also has tons of room for modifications, if I end up going that route.

What I currently have in mind is, possibly two of these, I would also beinterested in buying/making a 2x2x120mm rad for the top of my case. (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...tec_Twelve_Hundred_Chassis.html?tl=g30c95s667) one behind the fan in the front, I could also mount another one on the top, and room for a third possible rad behind the case, once I get rid of the aestek cpu cooler. There is also room for a 3x120mm rad setup above the mobo. The HAF case has tons of drive bays so my options are pretty limitless. I was thinking for a 2-3 loop setup to get 2-3 of (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6473/ex-res-130/XSPC_Bay_Reservoir_Pump_Combo.html?tl=g30c107s152)
I am aware that pump/res combos are generally not a good idea to purchase cause the pumps tend to suck, but I have only heard decent things about XSPC, so I am not to worried. If I am ghastly wrong in this assumption, please enlighten me.

I will also be purchasing a (http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/blocks/cpu-blocks/ek-supreme-hf.html) as well as dual EK full cover water blocks. Yes, I know I should have saved up my money, instead of buy another 5770 and water blocks and just gotten a 5870 or 5970. All I have to say to those people, is that I love my 5770's and I wouldn't trade them, that is until 5970's are cheap enough! :) I am also over clocking my cards currently @ 915/1315, with plenty more overhead. They are getting a little hot so that is why I am going through with cooling them, cause I want them to last. Even though my system entirely stock will play everything very well @ maxed settings, what's the fun in that? LETS OVERCLOCK SOME STUFF!! YEAH!!

So with all that being said, any ideas as to what combination's/loop setup methods/order, that would give me the best cooling for my money, would be very much appreciated. Of course, I am always open to suggestions for different pumps/rads/res/you name it!

THANKS OCS! :thup:

Tubing wise, I will be using 3/8, as 1/4 may be a tad to tight in certain areas. I was also wondering if there is any added cooling if I were to use 1/4 tubing solely on a cpu loop as opposed to 3/8? I believe the answer is no, just curious as to what you guys will say. Fittings wise, I do not want to have to use any splitters, hence the 2-3 loop system. I am also very curious as to your pas experience with metal vs/ plastic fittings, which do you guys prefer?

:welcome: to the Fourms

(I would like to help but I just pressed refresh and swallowed the last of my cold tea, really busy just now... i`ll chip in a little later :D)

HEY you can have a look at the WC set i am going to build in a Obsidian, here are the parts i ordered its roughly the same as your build.

This is how i going to set it up.

Last edited:
:welcome: to the Fourms

(I would like to help but I just pressed refresh and swallowed the last of my cold tea, really busy just now... i`ll chip in a little later :D)

hehe, I hit refresh when I first typed my post up. Nerd raged when it disappeared and then went and made some tea! :p

btw, how do you like your ocz memory? I was thinking about getting an additional 6gb of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365

I know ocz is a great name, have you done any ram oc with this low voltage type stuff? I'll probably end up going with some heavy duty corsair memory.

Okay, Read Stickie.
Thing to know.
    • Cooling ram is not neccesary
    • Cooling Mobo is not neccesary
    • 2Loop Will be Enough
    • 2 triple rad will be enough (1 for each loop)
    • Colored Tubing (Primichill lrt)
    • Distilled water + pt nuke or Pure silver barbs (.999)

Last edited:
^^plated are the only ones available. unless you had custom ones made which would likely run you $50 a piece i would think.

hehe, I hit refresh when I first typed my post up. Nerd raged when it disappeared and then went and made some tea! :p

btw, how do you like your ocz memory? I was thinking about getting an additional 6gb of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227365

I know ocz is a great name, have you done any ram oc with this low voltage type stuff? I'll probably end up going with some heavy duty corsair memory.

I had 8gig of that ram, destroyed the matched pair without harming the other 4GIG :shrug:

didnt handle the abuse I gave it but then again it wasnt anything like your 6GIG of DDR3 anyhow :)

im using some OCZ Flex 1200 now, got it from germany for a lot less than the UK :thup:
(they carnt give it away because of the alu water blocks on it #Laughs#)

so I liquid cooled it with spare toys (just to try `n wind Spawn up I think #Laughs#)

the OCZ Gold is a bit "budget do not thrash" I feel.

Okay, Read Stickie.
Thing to know.
    • Cooling ram is not neccesary
    • Cooling Mobo is not neccesary
    • 2Loop Will be Enough
    • 2 triple rad will be enough (1 for each loop)
    • Colored Tubing (Primichill lrt)
    • Distilled water + pt nuke or Pure silver barbs (.999)

• I do not overclock my memory, I'd add more memory instead of overclocking it.
    I am also not considering cooling my mobo. What I meant by 2-3 loops was, or I should have said just two loops, but wonder if I were to hook one loop up to two radiators for the cpu for added cooling? Would that work? The other loop would be just for the graphics cards. I'm not to concerned about getting them at very low temps, i just want some added cooling for my video cards.

0.o pure silver barbs, ill check those out.

120.3 radiator is going to let u use low speed fan instead of highspeed fan (with an 120.2)
120.3 radiator is good enough to keep cool any high end cpu (i7 at 4ghz)
120.3 or 120.4 will be enough for any 2GPU. Depending on the heatload they will put on ur systems but GPU can run hotter than cpu.

the key is CPU`s handle less heat than GPU`s
got to decide your layout, part options and budget to determine the rest.

The OCZ Gold 3x2gb isn't bad, I'm happy with it. It'll run 1683mhz at 8-8-8-24 and 1731mhz at 9-8-8-24, 1.64v. The Asus P6X58D doesn't give you a lot of control OC'ing the memory so I just tweaked the timings at whatever speed the mobo set the memory at while I was OC'ing the CPU.

I was thinking about getting an additional 6gb of
Don't ad more memory, you will never use it unless your doing video editing ore make a ram-drive.
You will actualy get slower performance because you will get more latency (CPU need more time to find the memory block you need.

The OCZ Gold 3x2gb isn't bad, I'm happy with it. It'll run 1683mhz at 8-8-8-24 and 1731mhz at 9-8-8-24, 1.64v. The Asus P6X58D doesn't give you a lot of control OC'ing the memory so I just tweaked the timings at whatever speed the mobo set the memory at while I was OC'ing the CPU.
I like the "PATRIOT Viper EP DDR3-1600 3x2GB Kit - CAS 7-7-7-20 (PVT36G1600LLK)"
cost about the same and got for its prize excellent timing

Back