• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to water cool my I7....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dj Spiel

Well...I decided after seeing temps at 70/60 I wanted to run a loop for my CPU only.

See thread below if you want that was my 1st watercooling setup....err actually second my 1st was Gigabyte system.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564738

You can see my specs in my sig...I want at least 55-60 at load. I am getting temps in 72's at times while playing Bad Company 2 online or Forged Alliance.

So with that being said I don't know if I should invest in a better air cooler or something smaller for my HAF 932 case. I know I really don't want to spend over 100$....

I know,I know alot of you are gonan say "well if you want true cooling" you gotta go the custom route. I just dont wanna deal with all the stuff I went thru before.

I was looking at maybe this?
Corsair Hydro Series H50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010&Tpk=Corsair
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1025/7/

Reviews seems ok...Thoughts?

I would also like to add that I have in fact tweaked my voltages and if I lower them or ram my system tanks. FYI: I have Hyperthreading on my I7

I think the H50`s weighing up to be low hassle and comparable to high end air. fans are the weakspot which isnt difficult to remedy.

firend of mine in the cooler uk`s using one with no complaints but ive never been near an I7 with one myself :)

certainly gets expensvie to look beyond the H50 and choose your own.

hang in here and see who`s had a play :)

I would be surprised if the H50 beat a dark knight by 12 degrees, that's a huge margin.
72*c really isn't bad on an i7 920, you could totally just let it go about it's business.

The first thing I personally would do, is run a nice ugly duct (i like cereal box cardboard) from the front of the case or other cold air source directly to the CPU fan. Let it eat cold air that hasn't been heated by recirculation and such.
You may find a decent few degrees that way for free.

The H50 seems to be on par with the noctra 14, megahalems, and TRUE. It costs about the same too.

well :)

not sure whats left to be said. H50 does what it does adequate but no miracles.

if you want to cut some clear temp difference then forget kits and brace wallet for "real wc`ing parts"

Ok...what if I used stuff from my old GPU loop? I would just need tubing and cpu block.

I have barb/coolant and bunch of other left overs...heck I might even have tubing.

Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Reservoir

Swiftech MCR220-QP Dual 120mm Radiator Black

Swiftech MCP655 Water Pump

So you're saying the parts I have in stock/leftover are not good enough for an I7??

yeah but then I have to buy a block for my GPU---->ATi 5870.

It's under 50C at load with stock heatsink...so i would rather not. As stated I just want a single loop for my cpu

cooling the gpu isnt really somthing you haft to do its more of a bragging right but also if you overclocking than yess water cool the gpu

Can anyone else chime in and let me know if the below parts are adequate enough for an I7 loop

Can anyone else chime in and let me know if the below parts are adequate enough for an I7 loop

fine pump and better rad than the H50, res doesnt matter (it does what it does :))

get a good CPU block and your beyond the H50`s ability.

Back