• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v too low?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xstatic

I have a system that has a gigabyte Ga-x58a-ud3r mobo and in windows its showing low 12v readings. idle its at like 2.5v and load its about 8-9v. seem odd to anyone? I understand that software monitors will be off a bit but the rest of the stuff looks good. -12v is reading just above 12v and 5v is steady at 5v and 3.3v is at 3.34v. I just returned the last PSU and got a new corsair 750 so I know its not that. Stumped.

If the volts were actually that low, your PC wouldnt even power on most likely....

With that said, software monitoring is usually not accurate when it comes to that. And you just proved it! The only way to be sure is to check with a digital multi meter. Did you really return your old PSU b/c you were seeing those readings?

yes I did. It was a bfg 650w. I knew the readings were off cause of software but sheesh it still shouldn't be way way off on just the 12v line should it? The rest seems to be decently accurate. Where do I check with the MM? I dont have a digital MM just a regular one.

You can check the 12v on the molex (Yellow and black), same with the 5v (Red and black).

Yeah software is that bad. Like I said your PC wouldnt have worked if it was that low. Your returned a perfectly good PSU...!

So I just checked with the MM and its reading slightly under 12v. So that seems fine. I wonder if its just the mobo is bad? Why would OCCT and HWMonitor both show 2.5ishv at idle and 8-9ish v at load? A big jump even for it to be reading a bit off. Think it is the mobo? I cant get this system stable at just about any oc speed. Runs prime fine for 24h but OCCT linpack dies at 12 mins every time.

Readings like that are actually pretty common. I don't know why they tend to be so far off, but after seeing such things on so many different boards with so many different software tools, I've decided it's not even worth looking at the reported voltages... just stick with the trusty multimeter for a real picture of the situation.

I just opened Everest out of curiosity, and it's currently jumping back and forth between 7V and -3V on my +12V rail. :eh?:

So I just checked with the MM and its reading slightly under 12v. So that seems fine. I wonder if its just the mobo is bad? Why would OCCT and HWMonitor both show 2.5ishv at idle and 8-9ish v at load? A big jump even for it to be reading a bit off. Think it is the mobo? I cant get this system stable at just about any oc speed. Runs prime fine for 24h but OCCT linpack dies at 12 mins every time.
Those software reading now mean less than nothing since you tested the rails with a DMM.... ;)

Bios reads those same MB sensors, generally if software is out to lunch, the bios is too.

Actually the bios readings are spot on at 12v. Weird but its true. Returned the crappy memory I had cause it was ocz obsidian cause apparently they have problems and mine were bad. Got some XMS3's for dirt cheap. Testing now!

Back