• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Water Cooling Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewITGuy

Hello all,
This is my first time posting in this forum and is also my first water cooling build. I have listed my anticipated setup and parts below. I only plan on including the CPU in the loop for now. I have a few questions that I think you fine folks can help me with.

System Specs are here:
COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP Black ATX Mid Tower Case
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100281-3SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GPU
XIGMATEK MC NRP-MC751 750W ATX12V Ver.2.2 PSU
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz CPU
OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM

The parts I will be using are:
Swiftech MCP655 12 VDC Pump
Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power radiator
Scythe S-Flex 120mm fans most likely
Swiftech APOGEE-XT Extreme Performance CPU Waterblock
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Rev2 Reservoir

Do these parts reflect a quality water cooling setup? I did alot of homework to select parts that had good reviews.

What size hose should I use? I am slightly confused because the pump has 1/2" barbs, but is that ID or OD?

Am I correct in assuming that I can use 1/4" to 1/2" compression fittings on the block, reservoir and rad? They both use 1/4" BSPP hookups.

Can I use compression fittings with the pump? It looks like I have to use clamps (I feel more confident with compression fittings and I dont mind paying a little more for them).

I may add a second graphics card later for Crossfire, would this pump handle it or should I use another loop for them?

I planned on running it Res - pump - CPU - Rad - Res Is this a good layout?

Any other advice you may have for a n00b such as myself is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Looks good to me. My only concern would be with the Xigmatek Power Supply you have listed. Im not sure who makes that so it could be just fine, but I would stick with a known brand (Corsair, PCPnC, Silverstone, see psu thread in my sig) unless you get some clarity on the OEM and quality of that build.

pump is made for 1/2inch i.d.
all looks nice pick up some biocide or silver coils or use pure silver barbs or compression fittings

Last edited:
Great, thanks EarthDog and boucher91. I really appreciate your input and look forward to posting pics and such when I get it built.

great pump choice. i have had mine for 2 years with no issues. Leak test the heck out of it is my only advice. no power to the system but leave it running for a while. also, after you put the parts in make sure you haven't accidentally loosened the barbs while putting on tubing.

I believe it is better to have all the same size tubing. when buying WC stuff they all usually use the same measurement techniques so if you get a 1/2" barb from a wc place and a 1/2" tubing you should be fine.

I have never use compression fittings though they are hella pretty. I use worm drive clamps. I feel more secure with those but that is a personal preference thing. Good res:) make sure you leave adequate access to the res fill port. I have some extra hose on mine and have it velcroed inside the case so I can move it about.

You know? I should get a fill port and stuff.
*sigh* time for more mods!!!

I would say get some compression fitting if it fits the budget. I have tried EVERY hose clamp I could find. The Compression fittings are not only the best bet, they look cool too ;)

@Hsnopi- You say "sigh" I say YEAH!

Back