• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme Extra Power Plugs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProgenitorVirus

Registered
I've been eyeing this board for a bit now, and noticed two things about it that I'd like some clarification on.

There are 2 CPU Plugs, 1-4Pin, 1-8Pin. My power supply can be either 4-Pin or 8-Pin, but I don't have both. Is only 1 Plug needed for operation?

And there are also 2 Molex's above the PCI card slots -- Any ideas what those are for?

First off :welcome: to OCForums!

All this extra power is for pushing the bounderies for extreme overclocking. By extreme, I'm talking about comtetative benching with liquid nitrogen cooling and that sort of thing. So if you're only running this as a daily operation type rig, don't worry about the 2nd CPU power connection, just use the 8 pin, it'll work fine :)

The molex power connections above the PCIe slots can be useful to everyday users with 3 or 4 graphics cards. Sometimes the motherboard 24 pin connection can't quite cope with the power requirements of 3 or 4 cards, so this will suplement that.

BTW - where did you buy the board??? Many extreme users around here have been looking for one (myself included). :shrug:

:p Well, I don't have this board yet, just Pre-Ordered on NCIX (Says Back Ordered)

And thanks!

Nice to know I won't need a new power supply XD

I do intend to mildly OC my CPU for certain, but don't think I'll be liquid nitrogen cooling :p

And I intend to maybe run 2 480's in the future, but 3 or 4..? XD

Anyways, thanks so much for the answer, appreciate it! :)

Oops...mis-read your post, I thought you said you had been "using" (not eyeing) for a while.....I was like :eek: :D

Anyhow, you're welcome....keep us posted on the progress of your build :thup:

Back