• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P55 - 1156 socket issues ->

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2859

burnsocketS.jpg

burnedpadS.jpg

Maybe old news, but news to me;

Foxconn apparently makes sockets and several companies like Asus, Gigabyte and MSI use their sockets in different motherboard models. It varies from model to model, and sometimes even within the same model.

The problem is that some socket pins do not provide a solid contact on the CPU pads and end up overheating. So there seems to be an unevenness to the pins themselves - whether its only an angle thing or a copper quality thing, doesnt seem to be answered in the article. The issue only seems to affect people who push their clocks beyond 5GHz using LN2 etc..

Any issue reported here in the forum? Foxconn sockets with high overclocks without issues? Comments?

hmmm....i recently rebuilt my system, and noticed that part of a row of pads were discolored....almost like they were burnt a little
DSC05036.jpg

wonder if this is the same thing. highest clock ive had it was 4.3ghz
if you click the pic, you can see the bottom part of the left-most row seems darker than the rest

Yep, thats it! Can you show a pic of the socket? I think you can read foxconn on the socket.. Maybe the pins are a little messed up in that area too?

-D

EDIT: I think some people have been bending those culprit pins up to prevent further overheating..

i just ran outa AS5 yesterday, so ill have to do it later....but yes, its a foxxconn socket....and i dont recall any pins looking different from any others

Back