• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7 920 D0 not stable at 4.2GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phat_cow

Hi,

I've been trying to get this cpu to be stable at 4.2GHz. My computer specs:
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 6GB DDR3
Noctua NH-D14
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

anything I should do to make this stable? CPUZ says my Vcore is 1.312V and my temp never goes over 75 degrees when doing prime95 tests but it always crashes (BSOD) after an hour or so.

My BIOS settings:

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 581
  • IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 528
  • IMAG0034.jpg
    IMAG0034.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 551
  • IMAG0035.jpg
    IMAG0035.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 524
  • IMAG0036.jpg
    IMAG0036.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:
Hey man :welcome: to OCForums :)

Might just need more CPU voltage. And there's no need to use "Dynamic Vcore" with your current settings (although it shouldn't hurt. Just use the regular Vcore option for clarity's sake ;) Try 1.35V and see how it does :)

BTW - 1 hour Prime stable is pretty darn good. :thup:

Prime Blend. I almost hit 2 hours of stressing the CPU before I got the BSOD.

Switch to Small fft's, if it still BSOD's, add another notch on the VCore.
If not, it's probably Ram related.
I always advise to set Ram timings, speed, and voltage manually. It's easier to work with.

Hey man :welcome: to OCForums :)

Might just need more CPU voltage. And there's no need to use "Dynamic Vcore" with your current settings (although it shouldn't hurt. Just use the regular Vcore option for clarity's sake ;) Try 1.35V and see how it does :)

BTW - 1 hour Prime stable is pretty darn good. :thup:

Thanks!

Is it normal for a D0 I7 to require that much voltage to get to 4.2? I've seen people do it with 1.312 :(

I'll try upping the vcore. I don't like the temperature though

HAHA...one of mine needs 1.45V to get 4.2GHz....the other only needs 1.28V...they're all a bit different ;)

Your temperature is very good...90s is high (I hit 95 when running Prime on my main rig....the one that needs 1.45V) :p

Just so you know, small fft's test CPU ie 8k, 16k etc, Large test RAM ie 4096, 3096 etc so its most likley your CPU failing, but and this is a big BUT, i too have this board and one thing I have found out about this board, is it hates too much voltage just as much as it hates not enough.

Is your RAM voltage right at 1.6v ?.

Have you manually set your RAM timings (Quick) 9-9-9-24-2T ?

Your QPI VTT voltage seems a little high, this voltage basically links your CPU to the x58 chipset, and for 200blk you really shouldnt need that much

Have a look at my settings here and copy if you like see where it gets you, just remember, every CPU is different especially where vCore voltage is concerened:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6459804&posted=1#post6459804

Last edited:
Is it normal that CPU-z reports a different vcore then the one I selected in the BIOS? I selected 1.5v but CPU-z reports the vcore as 1.312

I wonder if there's something wrong with my mobo because in the BIOS i set the vcore to 1.2625v and LLC to standard, but Easy Tune 6 and HWMonitor says my vcore is 1.232v. Thats a difference of 0.0305. I wonder if thats causing my OC problems?

What are your choices for LLC in the BIOS (standard and ???) I'm guessing that standard will be to Intel Specs, so it will VDrop when in windows.

I wonder if there's something wrong with my mobo because in the BIOS i set the vcore to 1.2625v and LLC to standard, but Easy Tune 6 and HWMonitor says my vcore is 1.232v. Thats a difference of 0.0305. I wonder if thats causing my OC problems?

That's vDroop and most motherboards have it to varying degrees. You should apply whatever the highest setting is for loadline calibration. Most just have 'enabled' or 'disabled', but I see the Gigabyte board has levels of LLC. :rolleyes:

1.8v CPU PLL should be fine and I think your QPI voltage could be a bit lower, like 1.3v

VDrop = the difference between the set VCore in the BIOS and the actual VCore when you enter the OS

VDroop = the drop in voltage that occurs, when you fully load the CPU

;)

VDrop you can account for, once you know what the difference is, by adjusting your BIOS voltages accordingly. VDroop can be controlled by Load Line Calibration. Be prepared for your voltages to be higher than what you set in the BIOS if you enable LLC.

Yeah true.. I just noticed a serious drop in vcore and figured it was 'droop', but then saw what you saw and though it was probably 'drop'.

Need some additional details, we do.

Makes sence now.

I have LLC set to Standard.I'm gonna change it back to Level 1 when I get off work.

Back