• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help w/first WC build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maskedmenace

Registered
Hey guys...I'm new here, long time reader and very impressed at some of the work you guys have done.

I'm a network tech for Alienware (rawrrrr the enemy, I know :eh?:) and I've never gotten into WC but, figured I'd try my hand.

As a tech Evga hooked me up with some lmtd edition swag...My current build is as follows:

Qx9650
780Sli FTW lmtd
2x Evga 280ssc
8g 1066 Muschkin Ascent
2x WD 300g Raid 0 Raptor
1x WD Caviar Black
Ultra X4 1050w Modular psu
Alienware Lmtd Case

I realize it's not the latest and greatest but, it was mostly free so, I'm not about to start complaining.

I've done the benching and the math...2nd gen I7's aren't making a retail release for the next 9 months so, it's more cost effective for me to stay with this build, especially since I'm pushing about a 10-15% performance decrease in comparison to the new I7's. With I9's being rumored Q3//Q4//Q1 as well, it just makes sense for me to rock this until next season or at least Black Friday.

All that being said, I wanted to use this rig to experiment with WC and I've done a fairly good bit of research.

My question is...A lot of the brands, seem to have serious sways in pos/negative reviews and I'm stuck in the median it seems. I want something moderately easy, not too expensive...obviously, something that will do it's job.

Is it in my best interest to pick around or, would I be best off just going for a kit from DD and the like?

Thanks guys, I welcome your opinions.

Last edited:
:welcome: to the Forums

well your best option ultimately is to know and understand all that can be offerd.

as long as sufficient questions have been put out here to explain your direction and choices. And you meet the rest of us half way with reading up, then were cooking with gas (so to speak :))

theres good and bad kits out there but no reason to fear picking out the best components from various companies.

if we know in due time we can give you the "word" from experience of what a product can achieve.

so whats the goals here would be the first thing, asthetics, performance clocking/silence.
what components do you intend to cool CPU, GPU`s
how much are you prepared to spend on the project.

once thoes WCing parts turn up youll begin to understand clearly how it all works, should imagine any decent kit would still require the skills to assemble it correctly just as seperate items would.

the confusion of shopping round for parts and exactly what you need we can explain from our experience :)

:welcome: to the Forums

well your best option ultimately is to know and understand all that can be offerd.

as long as sufficient questions have been put out here to explain your direction and choices. And you meet the rest of us half way with reading up, then were cooking with gas (so to speak :))

theres good and bad kits out there but no reason to fear picking out the best components from various companies.

if we know in due time we can give you the "word" from experience of what a product can achieve.

so whats the goals here would be the first thing, asthetics, performance clocking/silence.
what components do you intend to cool CPU, GPU`s
how much are you prepared to spend on the project.

once thoes WCing parts turn up youll begin to understand clearly how it all works, should imagine any decent kit would still require the skills to assemble it correctly just as seperate items would.

the confusion of shopping round for parts and exactly what you need we can explain from our experience :)

Well, it's the full AW case so, aesthetics are secondary.

Performance is a must as I do intend to overclock a bit; a modest overclock of about 10-15% ~ Nothing too crazy but, decent.

Noise is so, so...I would like it to be quiet, yet effective.

I intend on cooling the CPU and GPU's ~ There's already a fan on my RAM and the HDD's are well taken care of.

Cost isn't exactly an issue but, keeping it reasonable most certainly; is.

Right now I have the stand alone AW liquid kit cooling my processor and it's simply complete garbage so, I'm looking for everything really.

Initially I was looking at the Danger Den products for the 280's but, the waterblocks from Koolance not only seem to be cheaper but, have better reviews across a few forums.

Like I said, I don't care about mixing and matching; I'm more the I'd rather get it right the first time type.

Thanks again guys!!

ok here are some things to think about.

1 your OC happiness ratio which is noise to performance over budget-delta

keep in mind that a CPU and a GPU dont really care so much about what thier temps are as long as its stable. this is something we as hobbists transfer upon our rigs. so if you want to make your rig perform and all but you are on a budget , dont think temps . think what is the max this loop can do for me before i have to upgrade.
what should my parts focus around?

there is 2 sides and everything else is a hybrid of those 2
low noise while keeping rig stable
high performance

the 2 things we use to judge by are usually comfort ( noise) and dollars spent.

as you get more and more into liquid cooling you will begin a shift from performance to comfort usually

ok here are some things to think about.

1 your OC happiness ratio which is noise to performance over budget-delta

keep in mind that a CPU and a GPU dont really care so much about what thier temps are as long as its stable. this is something we as hobbists transfer upon our rigs. so if you want to make your rig perform and all but you are on a budget , dont think temps . think what is the max this loop can do for me before i have to upgrade.
what should my parts focus around?

there is 2 sides and everything else is a hybrid of those 2
low noise while keeping rig stable
high performance

the 2 things we use to judge by are usually comfort ( noise) and dollars spent.

as you get more and more into liquid cooling you will begin a shift from performance to comfort usually
For me, it'd definitely be a median of comfort and performance...

Noise doesn't bother me too much so, I'd definitely want to focus at something that's going to last, perform and be a little quiet...

Dollars spent doesn't really matter at this point :)

Just looking for options!

Kk, gave this a lot of thought and came up with the following.

At this point, I really just want to cool my processor with liquid and see how it goes...

Frozencpu.com offers this Switech as an option:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1..._Combo_MCR220-Drive.html?tl=g30c97s1076#blank

and then for the block...I was going to go with:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...ock_Sockets_775_1156_1366.html?tl=g30c323s835

Right now, just cooling my CPU would suffice because there are 4//5 hands that could successfully hand the SLI imo.

Would I be better off doing that or going separately?

Thanks again!

Aww.. u dont understand it...
The radiator will be on the outside of ur case ( at the back )
U will need a CPU block if u want to cool your Cpu otherwise the radiator will do nothing.
The link I posted is an all in one except for cpu block. Its include a Radiator - reservoir and pumps in one unit.

Aww.. u dont understand it...
The radiator will be on the outside of ur case ( at the back )
U will need a CPU block if u want to cool your Cpu otherwise the radiator will do nothing.
The link I posted is an all in one except for cpu block. Its include a Radiator - reservoir and pumps in one unit.

No no no, I understood it goes on the outside.

My question was: with the built in pump etc, would I be able to add 2x GPU blocks in the future in the loop with 1 CPU block already on it...

the mcp350 is not the strongest. Otherwise u can buy the MCR DRIVE B That come without a pump and buy the MCP355 and install it on the MCR drive B
If u want to add 2gpu u will need more rad tough. ( a another 320 should be enough )

There's actually an option to order that unit with the MCP355.

What will the difference be for noise, etc; though?

The 350 is a bit quiter. They are still very very quiet. Much less noise than a fishtank pump, at least one for not a tiny tank. The 355 would give you better flow for more blocks etc.

The 350 is a bit quiter. They are still very very quiet. Much less noise than a fishtank pump, at least one for not a tiny tank. The 355 would give you better flow for more blocks etc.

Cool deal; ty.

If//when I go with this combo...What kind of tubing would be best for just CPU at this point?

3/8ths?

I was also thinking, what liquid should I use for just cooling a CPU?

How many of the stickies have you read yet? Let me give you a link chock full of link, reviews, FAQs, tests etc.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253958-29-watercooling-guide]

Tubing:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147767

Liquid: Distilled water and a biocide. Read through this long very informative thread, all the way.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=170188

Okay, read all those; read reviews as well on Hard//EVGA//Tom's and other forums but, my questions are still going unanswered but, I also didn't ask entirely what I was thinking...so attempt #2.

Tubing length also differs in variable pressure, obviously...because the 355 has to pump water through the entirety of the loop...so what's the suggested length if say I wanted to mount the unit outside//off my case?

Say make my own mounting stand that goes a footish away from my PC case?

Beyond that, what are the effects of height going to have on the ppsi in the system itself?

If I mount outside of my case will I still be able to run a GPU loop through both 280ssc's? ~ Or will it be less effective?

Is the biocide going to be effected by an increase ppsi in the system? If so, should I look towards a certain biocide? If Biocide at all?

Thanks!

Okay, read all those; read reviews as well on Hard//EVGA//Tom's and other forums but, my questions are still going unanswered but, I also didn't ask entirely what I was thinking...so attempt #2.

Tubing length also differs in variable pressure, obviously...because the 355 has to pump water through the entirety of the loop...so what's the suggested length if say I wanted to mount the unit outside//off my case?

Say make my own mounting stand that goes a footish away from my PC case?

Beyond that, what are the effects of height going to have on the ppsi in the system itself?

If I mount outside of my case will I still be able to run a GPU loop through both 280ssc's? ~ Or will it be less effective?

Is the biocide going to be effected by an increase ppsi in the system? If so, should I look towards a certain biocide? If Biocide at all?

Thanks!

Okeh...Read around a bit more and I really don't have to worry about the above bull**** so, move along.

However...

If I were to do the swiftech w/the 355 pump; could I include my 280ssc's in the loop as well?

That's the overall goal so, if it's a no...I'm just going to have to buy everything individually :) ~ Ty.

The 355 pump needs a restop or a aftermarket top to perform well and use proper tubing size. Unless you want to use 3/8 ID hose. 99% of us don't.

You want to run the CPU and both GPUs in the same loop?

You can, might need more than a 120x3 rad for best results. You put both those GPU's and the CPU in the same loop, under gaming or folding the CPU won't be very happy.

The 355 with a good aftermarket TOP can handle all three parts. It your external box was 2-3 feet parallel from the main PC, then yea, your fine. If on the floor, I dunno, your flowrate might be too low. I'd make sure I got a non restrictive CPU block though, not a highly restrictive one.

Block test link;
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

A biocide is mentioned more than once a week in many posts here. Guess you missed it. Petras PHN PT-Nuke is the running fav with distilled water.

The 355 pump needs a restop or a aftermarket top to perform well and use proper tubing size. Unless you want to use 3/8 ID hose. 99% of us don't.

You want to run the CPU and both GPUs in the same loop?

You can, might need more than a 120x3 rad for best results. You put both those GPU's and the CPU in the same loop, under gaming or folding the CPU won't be very happy.

The 355 with a good aftermarket TOP can handle all three parts. It your external box was 2-3 feet parallel from the main PC, then yea, your fine. If on the floor, I dunno, your flowrate might be too low. I'd make sure I got a non restrictive CPU block though, not a highly restrictive one.

Block test link;
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

A biocide is mentioned more than once a week in many posts here. Guess you missed it. Petras PHN PT-Nuke is the running fav with distilled water.

Hrm...Can that top be installed on the 355 while mounted to the Swiftech though?

It would be parallel, my thoughts were just to make an external stand off to the side a bit so I could make it look nice and get a bit more air ~ I was thinking fans on BOTH sides...

I'm not exactly looking at a hard overclock but a soft overclock...Max 10% so, I don't need the best cooling in the world but, I would prefer keeping everything in the 50c's.

Thanks again man, big help so far!!!

Actually, the Swiftech pump rad has a aftermarket top built into the rad. Not sure what about barbs on it. Fans on both sides is great, it helps but increases noise.

In the long run, you'll need another rad, but go with the single for now. Buy another pump and put in series (not parellel) if your flow rate is bad. If your temps are bad, buy another 120x2 or 120x3 rad and put it in series. You SHOULD go two seperate loops, but it's not a requirement.

Back