• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX480 Danger Den Blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamsde

Registered
Thought you all might appreciate these, just got em in today. Too bad the cards won't be in for another two weeks tho!

:)

Attachments

• DD_480_blocks.jpg
    DD_480_blocks.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 445
well you just make sure you remember to stop having fun and tell us how you went on at some point :sly: #Laughs#

before, during and after for top score :thup:

Cheers for the peak :)

Thanks! hehe :) I can do some before blocking and after blocking comparisons if anyone is interested. I'm new to the whole benching scheme, what sw tools would I need?

we really, really would appreciate it if you could put it through some tests :clap:

Evga precision gives you GPU load, Clocks and temps :thup:

furmark provides some stressing... wouldnt go to crazy with this software.

and whatever games or demos.

just need to plan some tests. record results, then block them.... rinse & repeat :thup:

:)

I'll do it man! ETA on the cards was listed as delivered to me between May 5th and June 3rd... GAHH I hope it's more like May and not June! FYI I ordered the superclocked EVGA version of the GTX 480's... I'll post more as i get more info and coordinate with you :)

Guys these blocks are 3.1lb each! I've got a big problem... how do control the weight distribution and prevent damage the PCI slots and or cards??
My motherboard is vertical! (so weight will be direcly on card at PCI slot...)
Anyone have ideas? Will I need to fabricate a custom aluminum brace to hold these heavy blocks up? (or maybe just the bottom one, i bought the metal SLI fittings) ... something like a custom card stand? LOL... a jack stand for SLI blocks? LOL sounds nutz huh?
Any ideas on how to handle this?
Thanks!
Jon

Peeps been using blocks like yours for a long time. It'll be fine. Now if I was shipping the case, I'd remove the cards, but otherwise it's okay. You can come up with a bracket if you want. I saw a neat one once with just wire fishing leader once, he had used neat little parts, hard to explain and made a rig to hold the cards up. It was almost hard to spot.

Posting some test results for you. Single GTX 480 on stock cooling fans: Just finished single card, about to add second in SLI and run same tests... First two tests here are with Fan set to Auto, third test was fan at MAX.
FYI my SLI GTX 285's scored 2649 / 11020 last night on the exact same two first tests...

Attachments

• initial stats GPUZ.jpg
    initial stats GPUZ.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 364
  • furmark_results.jpg
    furmark_results.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 362
  • sercond test results no MSAA.jpg
    sercond test results no MSAA.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 358
  • third test 16xMSAA fanmax.jpg
    third test 16xMSAA fanmax.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
And the SLI results: the last test was 16xMSAA at 1920X1080 with fan set to 100%

Attachments

• evga_prec.jpg
    evga_prec.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 354
  • gpuz.jpg
    gpuz.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 357
  • frmk_rslts_16xMSAA.jpg
    frmk_rslts_16xMSAA.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 355
  • frmk_rslts_no_MSAA.jpg
    frmk_rslts_no_MSAA.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 358
  • frmk_rslts_16xMSAA_fan_max.jpg
    frmk_rslts_16xMSAA_fan_max.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 354
And a few pre-blocking pics as promised :)

Attachments

• gtx480s2.jpg
    gtx480s2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 356
  • rig open.jpg
    rig open.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 354
Blocks are on and installed, temps are WAY better than on air (of course) idle about 30c lower!
Posting fumark tests next.. FYI this setup is temporary as I have pump/res/rad on order.. right now i'm running pump/rad/gpu/gpu/cpu...

idle: gpu1 41c/ gpu2 35c CPU 34/36/35/32

Cpu idled about the same, core 4 would run between 29 and 30... GPU's were 71 idle..

Here are the screen shots... i'll rebuild the loop when the new equipment arrives and have the CUP and GPU's on separate loops.. so a good comparison I think...

Attachments

• 16xmsaa.jpg
    16xmsaa.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 314
  • nomsaa.jpg
    nomsaa.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 312
  • after_tests.jpg
    after_tests.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 313
  • after test.jpg
    after test.jpg