• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extend Alienware Auora watercooling to VGA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Poulpii

Registered
Hello,

I envisage to buy an Alienware AURORA standard (not ALX).

But I would like to install in it a Geforce GTX 480 Watercooled, so do you know if it is possible to extend the cpu watercooling system in this case also to the graphic card ?

Thanks !!

Lazy BobbyBubblehead? +_+
Why dont u build ur own computer than a overpriced alienware? ( they were some time ago i dunno if its still the case...)
As for me it's always funnier to build something on your own then buying something already made. -- this is my opinions

:welcome: to the Forums

oh the irony... #Laughs#

excuse my bizzare opening comment, take a look at this post and you`ll see why im tickled by the situation.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641495

just two posts under your thread now :D

My question is really precise Bobby, and this post don't answer it :)

Lazy BobbyBubblehead? +_+
Why dont u build ur own computer than a overpriced alienware? ( they were some time ago i dunno if its still the case...)
As for me it's always funnier to build something on your own then buying something already made. -- this is my opinions

Yes GrosJambon, when you build your own computer like I made in the past you can have exactly what you want, but Im a bit lazy to find all best components and the Alienware Station is now at a reasonable price and I can have again a discount on it

1 470 euros for an intel i7 920 - 6Go @ 1600MHZ tricanal - SLI Geforce GTS 240 1 GO - 500 GO SATA 7200tm - CPU Watercolled.

I have found some PC builder on internet where I have a huge choice for component, unfortunately they don't ship to Europe (je suis en France) and also for warranty it's not so easy...

sorry Poulpii :salute:

as I was hinting and Grosjambon says, alienware doesnt compair to building your own loop from known and trusted parts :)

we can help you make your spend perform better.

just gonig to look at this Aurora case now and weigh it up :)

@ Grosjambon - Lazy :-/ tu ne comprends pas.... >does BG huff< Neh, nehrazbihram... Pihyatnah vehcher Blahgohdahryah :thup: (translate... you dont understand, No I dont understand. have a good evening! thanks a lot :thup:)

If it is not possible to use the same watercoolling system for graphic card, then what is the best solution ?
To buy another watercooling system just for graphic card, but in these case I will have 2 watercooling system...
Or to Buy a complete Watercooling Kit (CPU,VGA,Chipset) and remove alienware watercooling system ?

I was looking at there site and wonder can you order without watercooling?

this way you can have the nice case and waste nothing on there "low end" cooling

looks like that water loop in there is just a cheap version of the corsair H50 which is adequate but no miracle worker :)

pointers...

no1 you carnt realistically mod a GPU block into that wc system.

no2 its already at full capacity anyhow with the CPU in terms of heat load and ability to pump round any longer loops.

no3 its just not cost effective to spend on this cooling they provide then throw it away :shrug:

just my feelings on it :)

I was looking at there site and wonder can you order without watercooling?
just my feelings on it :)

Unfortunately you can't, like you can't choose no graphic cards... So I will buy a station with 2 Geforce GTS 240 that I probably resell...

I never use a watercooling system, but I understand these 3 problematics.
So probably I need to buy a new complete Kit.

I really need a quiet system, maybe the swiftech H20-220 Apex Ultima Plus ?
I need your advices :)

H220 is a good kit yes, maybe you pay a little over the odds on that kit im not sure to be honest.

I would imagine come 480 time you would need more radiator to cope with the load maybe a 3x120 added to the loop and hang it off the back of the machine or some such plan.

as for GPU blocks thats something we have to address within the one week before purchase zone, because we need to make sure what revision the card is and therefor which block will fit.

note you would want the Ultima not the plus... that GPU blocks going to do nothing to tame a 480 properly.

a quality full cover block may be the only thing to cool a 480 e.g. current thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641511

its early days for 480modding in short :)

as for GPU blocks thats something we have to address within the one week before purchase zone, because we need to make sure what revision the card is and therefor which block will fit.

I envisage to buy the EVGAGeforce GTX 480 Hydro Copper, so I don't need a vga block...

I think when I see the picture of the kit, the question is : is it compatible with an Alienware Aurora Case ?

if it was my purchase, I would obtain the following:-

2of 3x120 rads
D5 vario (similar to the swiftech pump)
then take a look at the CPU block http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641191 see what you can pick some up for.
the swiftech northbridge and res would be fine.
then whatever full cover GPU block suites best at the time.
some G1/4 barbs where needed e.g. the rads would need four for a start.
and some 3/8 tubing roughly measured and add another two or three foot for waste through cutting and mistakes.
throw in some plain distilled and a silver killcoil or petras pt nuke.
oh and equip the rads with some low to med speed yate loon fans.

I would be confident I could get some clocking and a drop in noise with such parts :)

I envisage to buy the EVGAGeforce GTX 480 Hydro Copper, so I don't need a vga block...

I think when I see the picture of the kit, the question is : is it compatible with an Alienware Aurora Case ?

well I could hang one rad off the back... the rest im not sure if theres even room for a 2x120 in the top or if theres any vents up there :shrug:

its not an ideal case with thoes slick ergonomics very difficult to hang any rads off :)

you could device or purchase some free standing rad holders.
or even just place the rads on there side.

I opted to cut up my old case to place the rads and pumps in... its a growing problem to house all the rads needed for the latest `n greatest parts :-/

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6227268&postcount=67

EDIT: I didnt even try to wrestle any rads into my case, if there free standing the air they take up is ambient room temp and not effected by the rest of the machines radiated heat inside the case :)

The Aurora case is basically a server case with 4//5 added fans.

The PSU is at the top, LED fixtures are at the bottom and there's a fan in the very front of the case.

There may be room but, if I were you, I wouldn't buy Alienware. (Again, I'm a Network Tech not one of Dell's chronies)

Dell has been using 3rd party components in their builds lately, especially in regards to AW so, I'd build it yourself.

I'd suggest spending a little bit more on shipping and finding people over spending the headway for a system you're going to have problems with.

Turn around time on computers is over 1month in MOST cases right now.

Just not worth the time anymore; unfortunately.

if it was my purchase, I would obtain the following:-

2of 3x120 rads
D5 vario (similar to the swiftech pump)
then take a look at the CPU block http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641191 see what you can pick some up for.
the swiftech northbridge and res would be fine.
then whatever full cover GPU block suites best at the time.
some G1/4 barbs where needed e.g. the rads would need four for a start.
and some 3/8 tubing roughly measured and add another two or three foot for waste through cutting and mistakes.
throw in some plain distilled and a silver killcoil or petras pt nuke.
oh and equip the rads with some low to med speed yate loon fans.

I would be confident I could get some clocking and a drop in noise with such parts :)

I have create a new thread to submit my choice of my futur configuration, let me know what do you think ! it's here :)

Back