• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EX58-UD5 - IOH Voltage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Man... been a long time since I started a thread in the mobos section. :D But I'm just kinda scratching my head on this one...

Been reading, and read again, miahallen's guide here: http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

In that guide he states the following:

"IOH is easy, if you are running a single PCIe card (graphics card), give the IOH 1.3V, if you are running more than one PCIe graphics card, give it 1.35V."

I'm running two separate setups... both with EX58-UD5 v1.0 boards and i920 chips. One with a single GTX275 (IOH @ 1.10v - default) the other with 2xGTX285 (IOH @ 1.10v - default). Both setups tested Prime95 Blend stable 24hr+ while on the test bench with a low end GPU. The GTX275 setup seems fine, no problems with IOH @ 1.10v. However, since migrating my other setup to a case and marrying it with the 2xGTX285s, it's been locking up randomly every few days and most recently I received a STOP 0x00000101 in Windows 7 x64.

So reading this guide and the advice with GPUs, it seems to be the only thing I really changed about my setup was going from a low end crap GPU to my 2xGTX285 setup.

So my question being, could the culprit be low IOH voltage?... and is 1.30~1.35v IOH safe for 24x7 365 use? I'm a Folding@Home fanatic, so this rig runs all day and all night at 100% I don't want to burn through this board in 3 months if that's what 1.30~1.35v is going to do. Or maybe I'm just not running enough QPI? I think it is tied to the GPUs however, since when entering my password to return to the desktop, the system is groggy and slow to respond. If I stop the GPU Folding clients, it immediately comes back to life again... thus, I think I may need more IOH... please, you tell me. :D

Here are my current settings:

Code:
Advanced CPU Features:
CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [19x]
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ...................... [Disabled]
CPU Cores Enabled .............................. [All]
CPU Multi Threading .............................[Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ........................ [Disabled]
C3/C6/C7 State Support ......................... [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor ............................ [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function .............................. [Disabled]
Virtualization Technology ...................... [Enabled]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT ......................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed ..............................[x36]
Uncore Frequency ............................[x16]
Isonchronous Support ......................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
Base Clock (BCLK) Control .......................... [Enabled]
BCLK Frequency (MHz) ................................[200]
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........................ [Auto]
C.I.A.2........................................... .. [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
Performance Enhance ...................... [Turbo]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... [Disabled] 
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........... [8x]
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............. [Manual]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
CAS Latency Time ......................[8]
tRCD ..................................[8]
tRP ...................................[8]
tRAS ..................................[20]
CR.....................................[1]

Advanced Voltage Control:
CPU Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping
Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled]
CPU Vcore ..............................[1.325] 
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.175v .................[1.295]
CPU PLL 1.800v .........................[Auto] 
PCIE 1.500v ...........................[Auto]
QPI PLL 1.100v ........................[Auto]
IOH Core 1.100v .......................[1.100]
ICH I/O 1.500v ........................[Auto]
ICH Core 1.1v .........................[Auto]

DRAM
DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. [1.660] 
DRAM Termination 0.750v.......... [Auto]
Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[Auto]
Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[Auto]
Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[Auto]
Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v ........[Auto]
Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v ........[Auto]
Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v ........[Auto]

I talked to sno.lcn... he said that IOH @ 1.30~1.35v is no problem. Still don't understand why it needs to be so high, or why that is recommended in the first place.

Does anyone have any other advice regarding my bios settings? I've also been looking (around the web) for opinions on max QPI/VTT voltage. I'd like to hear what my forum-mates think/feel about it. Looks like most advice is in the 1.35~1.40v range.

Anyone else experienced the STOP 0x00000101 Blue Screen on i7?

Come on guys... lots of views, no response.

I run 1.3v through my NB 24/7 no problem, and im running 2 x 4850's in crossfire, with your currently at 1.1v I would say it was way to low anyway, I imagine this is your problem as the NB is where you PCI-e, and QPI are linked to on x58 skt 1366, skt 1156 are linked direct to the CPU hence no NB.

Attachments

• X58_Block_Diagram.png
    X58_Block_Diagram.png
    34 KB · Views: 3,897
Last edited:
I crunched Seti on an i7 rig w/ 3-285's at 1.35V on IOH. Aside from running 4-5870's I can't imagine needing more. IIRC, if you start going too high on the IOH voltage, it can start having a negative effect.

On a side note: You may try lowering your VCore, and increasing your QPI. My 920 responds well at that Base clock to 1.2875V CPU VCore and 1.325V CPU VTT respectively. Do you have a Load Line Calibration option?

Thanks much for the responses guys!!! :) I'm flashing now to the latest F12 bios... yeah, I know... I just hadn't done it. My other EX58-UD5 is already running F12.

OK, cool... Thanks Seanie's Show!!! :) I'll try 1.30~1.35v on the IOH. I just needed to hear that folks actually run that high on a daily basis. I also fully appreciate the schematic. I'm sure I could have spent some time finding that on my own, but you guys have it handy and are willing to share.

@nzaneb - good deal on the QPI... how much is too much? I've read 1.35v being the absolute maximum for safe 24x7 use and then I've read others who run 1.40v on a daily basis. However, I know Folding, SETI, or otherwise is a completely different environment than a lot of OC'ers machines see. So that high may be OK for them for short benching runs or casual browsing, but I like to error on the side of caution when finding 24x7x365 setups.

I do not have Load Line Calibration Enabled... I'd rather run Intel spec as I feel I degraded my Q9550 by using LLC. In fact, I've recently stopped using it on all three of my C2Qs. Is the story different on i7/x58?

I appreciate ya'lls time - trust me, I have and will continue to spend quite a bit of time helping people learn to Fold and pointing them in the right direction... and although my OC'ing skills are meager anymore, that's usually where I need help the most. So again, I appreciate it. :)

@nzaneb - good deal on the QPI... how much is too much? I've read 1.35v being the absolute maximum for safe 24x7 use and then I've read others who run 1.40v on a daily basis. However, I know Folding, SETI, or otherwise is a completely different environment than a lot of OC'ers machines see. So that high may be OK for them for short benching runs or casual browsing, but I like to error on the side of caution when finding 24x7x365 setups.

Aside from what the schematic shows (I use the same one;)) QPI is pretty directly related to memory function. If you're running high speed or a high quantity you will most definitely need more than your typical setup. 2000mhz+ and/or completely filling all the Dimm slots, will usually require 1.35+. I actually saw a review just recently (I believe it was for 2200mhz ram) that said they needed 1.75V QPI for stability:eek:

I feel your pain on the LLC. Folders and crunchers are a different breed... when you expect an overclocked rig to last for years and years running 24/7... there's no room for voltage related degradation. Dedicated farms are a breed all their own :D If you feel that adamantly about adhering to Intel spec's, then there may be some compromises in hardware that you will have to make... but at least you can sleep easier :D As far as daily full load QPI, I think 1.35 would be more than enough for your needs... as long as you're using 6gb or less, at 1600mhz or less. The main thing you want to keep in mind is not to separate your QPI/ CPU VTT and your Dram voltage, by more than .5V. This can lead to a dead CPU ;)

I actually use my i7 benching rig for daily tasks as well. It boots at 4.5ghz, with a VCore of 1.3 and QPI set to 1.5... and it still runs like the day I got it (the chip does... it's been through a few board though :D)

Last edited:
Just on the QPI subject, to save using such a high QPI/VTT voltage this can be counter balanced with CPU PLL voltage, upping this option on my board allowed me to reduce my QPI voltage from 1.32 to 1.28v, but PLL is a very dangerous voltage, intel recommends no more than 1.9v Max, stock is 1.8v mine is at 1.84v.

There is also an option for QPI PLL in the bios, dont confuse this with CPU PLL, but QPI PLL like nzaneb said, "QPI seems to be linked to RAM Function", QPI PLL helps greatly with that link, dont know what the max is for this but I had to up it to get stable, stock is 1.1v and I put mine upto 1.14v.

Last edited:
Back