• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Theory / Science behind temp per radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gcwebbyuk

Is there any way of working out how much an extra single/double rad will reduce temps?

My temps are currently 10c higher than I would like, and deciding on adding a single or a double rad with low speed fans.

Considering an XSPC RX (120/24) rad to be used with S-Flex fans running at about 600rpm.

Than I would like - system is stable, but temps are higher than I had with air.

No problem.

System is a AMD Phenom 965 C2 (140w version)
Gigabyte 4870 1GB

Using a Zalman Reserator 1 V2.

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

First impressions - amazing - it idled at 30c CPU and 19c GPU with about 20c ambient.

But after a bit of gaming / OCCT testing the CPU idles around 40c and GPU about 30c.

Max temps have been around 60c for CPU and 40c for GPU.

Just running an OCCT PSU test to see what max temps are after an hour load.

I have the option of fitting a double rad at the bottom of the case and adding 2 S-Flex fans, or mount a single rad behind the Gentle Typoon 1850 I am using as an intake fan (running at 460rpm).

Mind you that I am not a water cooling Guru but I would say that anything with a decent fan on it would dissipate more heat than a passive rad. I did a small bit of reading on the zalman and it appeared to be a passive rad. The only thing that I can think so say would be check out this sticky about flow rates and other such water cooling goodness. I know that it helped me when I was deciding on a triple of double. Much luck to ya! :comp:

Ambient temps about 20c

Yeah the long line is the in from Zalman, so it goes to the CPU block first.

Just poo'd myself - OCCT finished - max CPU temp 72.5c!!! GPU was ok though at 59c

Think I need to get a rad ASAP, although its fine for my general usage, I don't want it getting that hot if I leave it running anything all day...

well heres my setup

amd 955 12w 4.5volts overclocked 4.1ghz watercooled
2 ati cards 5770 water cooled

im using the swifttech kit with 2 rads and 4 fans push pull max temps 50c idle 40c

from checking out a few sites the single xspc should handle about 90w at 600rpm so may order one this weekend. Just need to get fittings for the zalman tubing. Think its 8/12mm.

That should just about handle everything, but then i need to decide at what point in the loop to have it. Thinking after the cpu, before the gpu, or maybe just between the gpu and return to the reserator.

its rated as 200w and it handles my system for normal stuff, just gets hot when stress testing.

with an extra 90w i should be good to go.

Plus its silent :)

I thought you dont want those chips to run over 50-55C??? If you are loading OCCT at 72C, you are probably right around 50-55C during gaming and such, maybe a bit more. Reserator is not enough for that load. You said its good for 200W and you have much than that going to it on load.

Since it appears you like silent, I would get a double rad so you dont have to push a tremendous amount of air on single to get noteabley better temps.

ino you probably dropped a bunch of money get wc blocks for the 5770s but they should run cool without wc, id be curious to see your temps with just the CPU on the loop without the gpus.

thats the reason right there.
i would not use that on any cpu over 125 watts personally and that is pushing it for me.

+1 reservatoir sucks like thermaltake watercooling units.
Do not expect good result with that kind of thing.
Is it made out of alluminium? if yes... its going to make galvasion where they are copper. (everything is made of copper/brass these days)

+1 reservatoir sucks like thermaltake watercooling units.
Do not expect good result with that kind of thing.
Is it made out of alluminium? if yes... its going to make galvasion where they are copper. (everything is made of copper/brass these days)
Is there even aluminum contact with that res/heatsink thing he is using? I thought the sinks/fins were on the outside only...?

I dont get this hatred for the reserator.

I agree you can buy your own kit and make it up - fare enough - it will more than likely perform ten times better.

What is wrong with buying an item that works for 80% of your workload, and then improve it in areas where needed - surely thats half the fun of modding?

I bought the reserator because lots of people told me it wouldn't work even for the CPU alone, I have prooved today that for my usual day to day work it coped well enough with the CPU and GPU, although it wouldnt work at full load for an hour constantly. I never run my system at full load for that long.

I now want to add a 2nd radiator to help give the system a little extra headroom.

I have asked a question about wether there is any way of working out what size radiator would be better, and I have been told that the reserator is poo. As for the galvanization, the system comes with fluid to prevent this: http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/watercooling/zm-g200

As a further point, I have had the system off for a few hours while I have been out for a curry, came home, switched on, system is currently running at 24c, with the GPU at 17c - no real load on the CPU, but it is running iTunes, Outlook and FireFox which is what the system is used for quite a lot of the time.

So back to my original question which EarthDog has helped with (Thank You) - is there any science behind choosing the right size radiator, or is it a case of just going for something big?

I mentioned the RZ120 following this review at Skinee Labs: http://skinneelabs.com/xspc-rx120.html

If I am reading the review correctly, it is showing just over 100w heat dissipation using a Yate Loon D12SM12 at 500rpm, so using a Gentle Typhoon at similar speeds should give me a similar, if slightly lower result.

Should an extra 100w heat disipation (effectively a third of the reserator) be enough to lower temps an extra 10c?

Last edited:
dont pay any attention to something that says rated xxx watts unless you really know what you are doing.
see they test at a very specific delta T that makes their product look better and it will not handle real world tests.
as you get higher twards a heat dissipation max there is a very fast drop off . its not linear at all

Hmm. Okay.
120.1 or 120.2 will be more than enough seeing u have decent temps with ur actual setup.
as for fluid i don't know this brand so i can't say its good or bad...
I would say that most people use antifreeze 10% and 90% of distilled water in their loop to avoid galvanisation and corrosion when they mix metal which seem to be ur case. allum + copper = no good except if u use something that u have ( which i dont know if its works or not )

Back