• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a board to go with 980x?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Khato

Registered
I am in the planning stages of putting together a new system and looking for a good board to go with the new i7-980x, preferably with USB3/SATA6 support. I know Gigabyte has couple of options with its UD series (UD3R looks pretty good) but never used a Gigabyte board before, so I am not sure. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the quick response, the Asus board has some pretty good reviews and looks like a solid option. Do you by any chance know if SATA6 requires a "SATA6" cable or would a regular SATA cable can throughput SATA6 speeds?

Because you are buying 980x which is very expensive, i suppose you want expensive and top board, i would recommend you Asus Rampage lll Extreme. Best overclocker, usb,sata 3.0 and else, it costs about 400$.

Thanks for the suggestions. Rampage 3 Extreme is quite new isn't it? I would like to wait a bit to see how it stands against the others. Meanwhile, right now for less than $200 there is this option with good reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

I wouldn't mind saving around $180 over the rampage if they OC similarly. Also I will probably never need more than 2 true PCI Express x16 slots.

Does anyone have any experience with the Gigabyte UD3 coupled with the new i7-980x?

Thanks for the suggestions. Rampage 3 Extreme is quite new isn't it? I would like to wait a bit to see how it stands against the others. Meanwhile, right now for less than $200 there is this option with good reviews:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

I wouldn't mind saving around $180 over the rampage if they OC similarly. Also I will probably never need more than 2 true PCI Express x16 slots.

Does anyone have any experience with the Gigabyte UD3 coupled with the new i7-980x?

If you are going for a high 980x OC, you might want to consider something with more power phases than the UD3R. Anything higher like UD5 will have better power handling, more stable OC etc..

-D

Back