• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reservoir

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
was just wondering what a good reservoir to use that doesnt leak.

I've had GREAT luck with my Swiftech MCRORES II (in sig).

I appreciate the little port at the bottom of it as it's come in really handy.

You can buy like an extra metal barb for it... but I found this wasn't necessary as you can just cap-off any two ports you aren't using and you can stick the plastic barbs in whatever orientation you need them and they work just fine.

Has not leaked ONCE in the year and a half since I installed it.

Even when I didn't have the hose clamps on tight enough it didn't leak.

Swiftech MCRORES II i have that tank and its cracked swiftech is sending me a new one and i bought another new one cause that swift tech one is way too small

Swiftech MCRORES II i have that tank and its cracked swiftech is sending me a new one and i bought another new one cause that swift tech one is way too small

Too small for WHAT?

A reservoir is just where the reserves of water are (it's also where you fill your loop). *Hopefully* most of the water is flowing around your loop. (In the CPU block, the radiator, the hoses...) The reservoir is just where all the rest of the water is.

So how could it possibly be too small? You just keep adding water to the thing until it fills up. (The loop and then the reservoir itself.)

its to store cool liquid the more liquid the cooler things will stay. water gets heat soaked over time... its like boiling water on the stove the less you have the faster it will heat up the more you have the longer it will take to warm up

never wanted to use a res due to costs, but i finally grabbed a microres v2 and like it alot. had it for 6-7 months now no issues.

its to store cool liquid the more liquid the cooler things will stay. water gets heat soaked over time... its like boiling water on the stove the less you have the faster it will heat up the more you have the longer it will take to warm up

Hmm... Never thought of it like that...

But then isn't that the purpose of the radiator and the fans?

Anywho the water in my loop never gets close to warm. Even though the big *** Pondmaster pump that I have gets flaming hot.

Radiator is too transfert the heat from the water to the fin and fan push air trough the fin that evacuate the heat.

That's my point. Shouldn't the heat be gone from the water at that point? I mean tons of people don't even use reservoirs at all and they seem to be doing fine.

Okay so do you agree the pump should go to the rad first so it can cool the liquid befor it goes to the resevor tank to store cool liquid than go to the cpu or should it go to the resevor tank first than the rad to the cpu?

Last edited:
Andrew149, you can go to link below to skinnee labs, and look at water in vs water out, even when load is ~550 watts, the temperature difference between water coming out of radiator vs just coming off the 500 watt load is only ~0.5C. For typical OCed cpu and typical loop, you wont see any more than .2-.3C difference before rad or after, or measuring water temp anywhere in loop.
http://www.skinneelabs.com/hwlabs-sr1360.html?page=4

In testing tim/different waterblocks, I have one temp sensor in the 250ml rad, and couple in line, after gpu and cpu. There is never more than a ~0.1-.3C difference in temps between sensors, even when loading dual gpu. All the water is constantly mixed in reservoir and is circulated at least few times per minute (assuming avg 1 to 1.7 gpm), all temps rise simultaneously. I do go to cpu first then gpu, and it lower my cpu temp by ~0.1C, except when also loading gpu, then lowers it by ~0.3C.

As for reservoir, like conundrum said, it is nearly irrelevant. Even with 250ml reservoir, when loading cpu with prime, it takes 7-8 minutes to reach a steady state water temp (from 26C at idle to 30C at full load), providing you keep your local ambients from rising. T lines probably little quicker, but not important.

Reservoirs are fast filling and bleeding and would never go back to not using one...but irrelevant for temps.

Back