• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question about liquid.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boulard83

I just tested my water chiller made with a 245W tech and im reaching way under 0°c after only ~1min of chilling. So if i left it on full cooling i think that my water may freeze in the block ...

My chiller hot side is cooled with a Accelero 8800GTX ( 250w capable ) and the cold side ( for chilling water ) is made of a EK LT. I choosed the LT since its made with straight line from inlet to outel. Seemed better for my chiller use.

I didnt tryed with water yet. Maybe only the water temp will maintaint it from freezing but if i have freezing issue, i thin i can use Car antifreeze with my distilled.

Ill use longlife good quality antifreeze. Is the antifreeze bad for the Copper parts and the pump ?

Thanks for answering :)

Ill test it all in the next week.

Ill receive my TPQ-1200 OC monday. Ill have enought power to run the TEC and my rig ;)

Gona make a whole post about my testing.

Last edited:
I'm not very good with TEC technology or operation, but I was warned against running one off my main PSU. Not due to the power draw on the rails, but on the wire itself. The actual waires on most PSUs are not designed to handle the amperage of a TEC...not saying it won't work, but I'd hate to see you fry such a b@d@$$ PSU. Just make sure you know what it'll handle before doing it ;)

Yes i know. Thx again ;)

ill use one of the 6pin PCI to run the tec. you have 3x12v and 3xGround. By using all the 6 wires to drive the tec, this give a damn big wire. Its gona be 100% fine !

But ill be aware.

P.S. I tested it with only 2 wire on my backup PSU, CoolerMaster 650w, and the wire didnt got hot.

I'm not very good with TEC technology or operation, but I was warned against running one off my main PSU. Not due to the power draw on the rails, but on the wire itself. The actual waires on most PSUs are not designed to handle the amperage of a TEC...not saying it won't work, but I'd hate to see you fry such a b@d@$$ PSU. Just make sure you know what it'll handle before doing it ;)

Thats right, just as a rule of thumb , you want to run a TEC of its own PSU, not the oe thats runing your pc.

Only reason for that rule of thumb is that back when tecs were cool a 245w tec would max out a mid range PSU. A HUGE PSU was "500w" with 300w of 12v on a good day.

Now i could run three of those AND my pc on my PSU without any issue at all.

Try the chiller with water, without water flowing there is no heat load to keep it warm, even a 40w tec could hit <0*c.
That said, i wouldn't be surprised if you froze pure water anyway.

Thanks alot for replyes.

Ill buy a 4gal of antifreeze. I can aim for something like a -20°c mix.

Back