• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with an old LGA775 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dooms101

My sister has an old setup from about 2006 or 2007, it's had parts in and out of it since it's been in my possession. There seems to be a problem with the motherboard. The whole computer works just as you'd expect under Windows XP (that's what originally came on it), but the sound ports in the back on the motherboard and the PS/2 ports don't work. I have no idea why, since they've never worked since I've had it. Here's some specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron Prescott 351 3.2Ghz LGA775
MoBo: MSI PM8M3-V MicroATX LGA775 not sure what chipset
GPU: nVidia GeForce FX 5200 128mb AGP Pro
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 7200rpm 120gb IDE 3.5

The guy she got this from (an ex-bf) was a moron, and didn't install drivers except for the GPU. He also didn't bother including any manuals, accessories, disks, nothing. So, I am not sure if this is a driver issue or a hardware issue. I can't find the drivers for this board online.

Also, I can't seem to boot up a Vista 32-Bit Home Premium install disk on it. The BIOS recognizes it and attempts to boot from it, but it fails and goes to the OS boot. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep this thing going, maybe a cheap replacement board? Thanks.

u can go for a Gigabyte GA-G31ME-S2L....its really cheap & has good features also....jus go to gigabyte's website to chk it out

Thanks, it seems that the board is just broken. Drivers didn't help. I'll probably look into getting a new one instead.

at this point since your buying a new board, IMO might as well get a new cpu. even the celeron line or E1000 line will do well. being more powerful, using less power and, putting out less heat. you really are going to need new ram if you get that suggest G31 board. the via chipset that is on that board only uses DDR ram the newer boards only use DDR2.

if you can hit up the classies, you never know what you might find for sale cheap or even do a wanted ad. *wink*

Back