• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P6X58D-E Build SUCCESS!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Richie13

Hi folks,

I thought you might like to see the mobo all assembled I've been working so hard to build the last few weeks. I had some reservations about purchasing this new board only being on the market a few weeks, even though it's just a slight variation from the original P6X58D.

hafmobo.jpg

All the components listed in my sig certainly went through the correct manufacturers quality control. The manufacturers did there part and I did mine, and in the end, I had a fantastic i7 build experience.

First boot was flawless as was the installation of Win7 64 bit. I ran the computer fully stock for a day or so just doing my everyday tasks noting my temps usually hanging around 34C.

This morning I decided to see how it OC's and went directly from 2.8 GHz to 4.2 GHz. All the standard power saving features where left enabled to keep power consumption to a minimum. The following are the only adjustments I've made:

Increased base clock to 200
PCIE to 105
Dram to 1603
CPU volts to 1.35
QPI/Dram to 1.35
Dram Bus volts to 1.64
Load Line calibration to Enable
CPU Differential to 1000mv
Spread Spectrum to Disable

The computer rebooted like a champ without any issue whatsoever, and I ran Prime95, but was only able to run it for about 2 hours before needing to use the computer and had to end the test, but no errors where detected.

Still, what was even more of a surprise was the fact my temps, as shown in Core Temp 0.99.5, held steady at 68C. The ambient room temperature was 21.2C. Considering I'm on air, and at 4.2 GHz, and using a complete air filter set for my HAF-932 I purchased from PC Performance, I consider this temp to be on the low side. Also it should be noted this board is running on the only BIOS version released from Asus that I'm aware of. So all seems well.

I have a good feeling with a bit more tweaking advice from some of you, this board still has some hidden performance I can get out of it. Thank you.

haf.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, I'm planning a build with this board and 930 cpu too. Any additional experiences you have w/the board and OC settings appreciated.

Hey Richie13, I haven't seen you update on how things are going with your build. I was curious on how well you got it running, any complications you had while setting it up etc... I heard that you may need to do some stuff with the bios to get 1600 ram to work at it's proper speeds, etc.... I haven't built a PC in over half a decade now (back when AGP was still standard) and I know I'm in for quite a ride on Friday; when Newegg finally gets all my parts to me. I have a very similar build to yours that I am about to be putting together.

Any input/suggestions would be helpful, since I am sure I will be a nervous-wreck on Friday. Here are the components of my build...

MOBO: ASUS P6X58D-E
CPU: Intel Core i7-930
CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932
FHS: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus w/ 120mm
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) PC3 12800 C8 (8-8-8-24)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 470 SuperClocked+ 1280MB DDR5
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W Bronze Modular Active PFC
HDD: Samsung T3 1TB 7200 RPM
MONITOR: ASUS MT276HE 27" LCD

I'd also be interested in some details, in particular memory frequencies.

I've got a new i7 930 on the same board running 3.8ghz @ 1.16v (CPUz voltage) stable, but I haven't been able to bump my DRAM. I'm on Kingston Hyper-X 1866MHz, but I'm stuck with a ration that drops it into the 1400's, at the moment.

I'm new to i7, so any advise dealing with memory would be greatly appreciated.

Back