• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EK-Bay Spin Res! Where should Pump BE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shunail

So, here is what I have. I've Laing DDC DDCT-01s pump, EK-RES250 reservoir and Thermochill Pa 120.2 Dual 120MM and Thermochill Pa 120.3 Dual 120MM connecting:

Res => Pump =>CPU => 8800GTX => 8800GTX => Rad 120.3 => Rad 120.2 =>Res.

Now that I'm upgrading my Board and CPU, I thought EK-Bay Spin Reservoir would look cool in front bay. I've 2 of these Laing DDC DDCT pumps (petra tech's). What should I do to utilize this EK bay res and pump (not necessarily both, but one if is enough like it is now). Since EK-Bay Spin has three outlet, I was thinking atleast using to outlets straight like

PUMP
^
||

Reservoir Out1 => CPU => Rad 120.2 =>Res

Reservoir Out2 => GPU => GPU = Rad 120.3 =>Res

or should keep it same as before and keep 2 other outlets blocked? :screwy:

keep it the same. it makes for less tubing and a simple install. you won't see any difference in temps either way.

Temps will balance out no matter what just whatever way is a shorter loop.

*Damn I left this screen up for too long.

hmmm... so
Ek-Bay Res => Pump => CPU => GPU 1 => GPU 2 =>120.3 => 120.2 => EK-Bay Res

Another thing I've noticed is in the tube where it connects to Rad., a thick brown ring!! Could it be rust?

i would put the rads before the blocks, but if that means more tubing or a more complicated run then don't bother.

can you get a picture of this 'brown ring' ?

This image have the brown ring

IMG_1481.JPG

Below is my setup
IMG_1483.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

looks more like algae to me.

what liquids are you running?

also to make your system run better, undo the parallel rad setup and run series as well ditch the 90's.

Thanks Spawn for your advice, appreciated.
What does "ditch the 90's" mean
I'll be re-tubing so algae should be taken care right or should I use something to clean it?
I use PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Liquid Cooling Fluid.
When I used one 120.3 radiator, system used to be very hot. Adding 120.2 next to 120.3 helped!!

Last edited:
the 90 degree elbows you have, this, are restrictive to the flow.

so remove them, and pipe the rads in series instead of parallel for better performance.

what cpu block are you using? if there is no aluminum you can stop wasting money on the primochill ice.
instead use distilled water plus a biocide like PT nuke PHN or a silver kill coil.

silver kill coil

Silver Strip

PT nuke PHN

Firstly GOOD GOD MAN CLEAN YOUR RIG!!!

Now I agree on straight distilled, really is the best thing for a wc setup. Even a drop of bleach or vinegar will work as a biocide if you must :chair:

CPU block was D-TEK Fuzion = copper and GPU blocks were copper - acetal . Now it'll be all Acetal (copper)
CPU Block= EK-Supreme HF - Acetal
GPU Blocks = EK-FC8800 GTX - Acetal

Detale: It'll be all disassembled and cleaned up. Thanks for your concern :) New tubing through out.

So, if it is all acetal, I should use distilled water only? See, reason why I use Primochill ice is because it is non-conductive. Plus new Primochill ice uv blue - claiming it is anti-algae, don't know how legit that is?
I'm just scared of a leak, that'll blow parts inside. Atleast with non-conductive liquid, I'm safe! or I think I am :`(

I could post many many long dicussions about non-conductive. Also Youtube videos etc etc etc.
And many threads and pics of blocks being clogged due to stuff seperating inside the liquid. Pros use distilled for long term good cooling.

Pure water is less conductive because it's pure. What do you think all the marketing stuff your reading about starts with? Distilled with additives. So it's more conductive.

Distilled bought from Walgreens is cheap and with the right biocide is best.

Agreed again. From what I understand water itself is supposed to be non conductive believe it or not. It's the impurities in the water that make it conductive so even using those non conductive fluids if there are any impurities in there it will fry something good.

Also even with new tubing you should really clean out whatever parts you plan on reusing damn good.

Agreed again. From what I understand water itself is supposed to be non conductive believe it or not. It's the impurities in the water that make it conductive so even using those non conductive fluids if there are any impurities in there it will fry something good.

Also even with new tubing you should really clean out whatever parts you plan on reusing damn good.

i knew i forgot to post a link :)

follow this for cleaning,

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631501 - though i personally take my blocks apart to inspect for anything.

well if it is really that bad, I would return them then. Just bought 3 and they're on the way. I'm convinced on using distilled water. Then, which biocide can be used and be bought locally? I was thinking about working on it this Sunday since I'm getting all tubing, res, block this Friday...

someone told me that I should seriously consider applying water blocks on my ASUS P6X58D Premium board since it'll become very hot. Infact, one loop for CPU - board and other for 2 GPUs. Water blocks for this board is expensive and I'm glad to return these PC ICE and saving money, but water blocks for the board is over $100 from EK and I won't be able to get it by Saturday to start Sunday project.

You think its that important? I don't think I would've room for tubes for 2 loop or it would be very congested.

Last edited:
how are the temps now with the board cooling?

have you replaced the stock thermal paste on it? if not, that will drop a good deal, i dropped at least 10C on load after changing out the thermal paste.

well if it is really that bad, I would return them then. Just bought 3 and they're on the way. I'm convinced on using distilled water. Then, which biocide can be used and be bought locally? I was thinking about working on it this Sunday since I'm getting all tubing, res, block this Friday...

someone told me that I should seriously consider applying water blocks on my ASUS P6X58D Premium board since it'll become very hot. Infact, one loop for CPU - board and other for 2 GPUs. Water blocks for this board is expensive and I'm glad to return these PC ICE and saving money, but water blocks for the board is over $100 from EK and I won't be able to get it by Saturday to start Sunday project.

You think its that important? I don't think I would've room for tubes for 2 loop or it would be very congested.

Fish stores sell okay biocide I hear. No idea what ones or how much etc. I just bought the right stuff we all use. Petras PHN PT Nuke. Or a Ianh Silver Killcoil.

I haven't tried installing new system yet. Just speculating before disassembling the current system. Current system board goes 140*F

Spawn-Inc: Advice taken. I'll replace thermal paste on the new Board prior replacing.

New system is:
Board = ASUS P6X58D premium (no WaterCooling)
CPU = i7 930 (Block = EK-Supreme HF - Acetal - copper)
GPU SLI = GeForce 8800GTX (Block = EK FS8800 - Acetal copper)
Radiator = Thermochill 120.3 + Thermochill 120.2
Reservoir = EK-Bay Spin
Pump = Laing DDC DDCT-01s petra top

So here's what I've decided

XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir for Two Laing DDC with 2 Pumps conencted =RES+PUMPs
RES+pump 1 => CPU => MofSet => NB/SB => Rad 120.3 => Res
RES+Pump2 => GPU1 => GPU2 => Rad 120.2 => Res

2 seperate loops

Back