• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will My setup work? suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dustin1706

Registered
Hey guys, Long time lurker First time Poster.

and yes...Another will this work post. lol sorry.

I have had this PC for just shy of 3 years and have only upgraded the P/S and disc drives since the initial build.

Q6600 oc @ 3.2
4GB kingston hyperX DDR2
6EVGA 80i sli mobo
Foxconn 8800GTX
2x raptorX 150GB (Raid 1)
2x 1.5TB Seagate (Raid 1) Yes I'm paranoid of HD failure.
2x LG Blu-Ray drives
Zalman ZM850-HP (SOOOO Quiet!)
silenx fans (9-14db rated)

My case is a thermaltake armor LCS and I set it up initialy with the thermaltake waterblock and thermaltake GPU waterblock *shame*

Current Loop: TTres/pump, TT CPU block, TT GPU cooler, 2x 120 rad.
Current temps: IDLE: CPU-37 GPU-40 LOAD: CPU 45, GPU 48

I am OK with those temps even though they aren't great, but what I really want is silence. The thermaltake pump is crazy loud. The 680i northbridge fan is too, but I have it turned down to 25% and it's acceptable. I want to keep everything In the case.

The loop I want to run will be: MCP 655, EK Supreme HF cpu block, northbridge, 1x 120 Rad, TT GPU cooler, 2x 120 rad, Danger Den 2x 5.25" reservoir.

The poor rads I currently have 3/8 barbs, and the GPU cooler actually goes down to 1/4" and back to 3/8".

I know it's not ideal, but I plan on building a new PC come fall/winter, and don't really want to spring for a better GPU cooler for the 8800 which I won't be using...(i will get new rads too for the new build.

Will this be a problem for the pump?

I decided on the 655 because its quieter than a 355.

Thanks for any input!

Just ditch all TT watercooling part and build your own.. Seriously why did u bought that ... at the first point...
Read stickies
Dye or colored fluid are bad. TT suck Koolance is 1/2 bad
mcr 220 or 320 will be enough for your need. - 45-50$
MCP 655 is running 1/2 ID and 3/4 OD barbs (its come with them) u can buy an aftermarket pump/top + ek res 100/150/250ml and run any tubing u want.

Actually, thats pretty good. You can buy hose reducers at an online store to keep using the GPU block. BE VERY CAREFUL, make SURE the TT GPU block has no aluminum. Otherwise you'll still need anti corrosive liquid not to ruin your new rads and CPU block.

If it's stainless, nickle, copper then distilled water and a biocide is all you need.

You got enough new raddage for your current setup, your fine.

OK, cool. The TT waterblock has an acrylic top and I noticed a crack in it just the other day. That's what made me think of upgrading/replacing the system. For a temporary fix I machined a new top of out HDPE (cutting board) to replace the acrylic on my homemade CNC router. I see no reason why it wouldn't be just fine, but I'd rather just get a new CPU block.

I bought the TT setup as my first W/C setup, not realizing that it has such a bad rep. I have to say though, that I do like the Armor case. Lots of room looks decent. I was able to move the power butoons to the bottom, so I have 4 usable 5.25 bays plus the 2x120 rad and hard drive rack in the front, and the Zalman P/S is much larger than a standard ATX P/S.

The Rads are aluminum so I guess I'll stick to the anti corrosive till I go with a new system.

I was just worried about using the 655 with that many things in the loop and the 1/4" restriction at the GPU.

For reducing the size of tubing, I was thinking that I could, for example, have a 1/2 into the CPU and 3/8 out of the cpu instead of using adapters mid tubing? Would that be a better solution?

Thanks!

Believe me, the pump can handle it. It's at least as twice as powerful as that TT one. I'd worry about so much restriction n the CPU block. Modern blocks need over 1GPM. You should be fine though, since you got a good pump.

Kinda my thoughts now we know what you'll be running. Why not save for a full new loop since the TT block is still working. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the info guys.

I went ahead and got the 655 pump, and EK block and I am glad I did!

The 655 is SOOOOOO much quieter than the TT pump. Once you get the air bubbles out you can't hear it at all, except on setting 5 where there is a barely audible high pitched whine.

You are right though, I will go with whole new system soon. FOr now I decided that I'll just go back to air cooling the GPU as it was actually a lot quieter than the TT pump and never had any heat issues to begin with

Thanks again!

Back