• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Packard Beep - Foxconn Board 1 Long Beep

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I am baffled about what this 1 long beep is the PC Tower is a Packard Bell with

Intel Q6600 Quad Core CPU
Foxconn Diego S Motherboard
Nvidia 9600GS
4GB very cheap memory
Seagate 750gb SATA HDD

Now I fixed it before basically he wanted me to downgrade it to XP Pro (Hated VISTA) anyways bought his copy so I downgraded it. Now he's brought it back as it would not connect to the internet so a basic spyware maybe a firewall issue.

Well today I powered up no display connected it to my old VGA monitor still no display so I wiped out the card and put it in my rig below powered up fine. So I thought I'd reset the CMOS and see if that would work maybe a boot up issue so after doing that I now get 1 massive long beep and thats it.

He said it worked fine at his house and I've only just got around to trying to fix it, to maybe cancel out a certain piece of hardware I removed 1 memory module tried them both by themselves I wont try mine incase it maybe damages 1 of my chips.

Couldn't quite get the HDD out so i just took the power cable out still 1 long beep, connected an old style mouse and keyboard still 1 long beep. I am baffled to know what its not decided to do this I think the PSU is only a 250w says 250AC in the back but no info on wattage on the inside sticker.

Last edited:
I hope you've got a waiver form you make people sign, so they can't claim you broke something if they brought it in broken :)

Does the power supply have a switch where you say it reads "250AC"? Some cheap-crap PSUs still have voltage selector switches.

I hope you've got a waiver form you make people sign, so they can't claim you broke something if they brought it in broken :)

Does the power supply have a switch where you say it reads "250AC"? Some cheap-crap PSUs still have voltage selector switches.

No I dont have a waiver form thou I have been looking into it actually maybe drawing up some legal stuff. There's no switch on the back at all and my mistake it says 230v which is the normal one for UK PSU's.

I have taken out the current memory and I tried 1 of my 2GB sticks but it still played the long beep. I cannot find anything about Foxconn boards and it's beeps thou googling I found a few posts on different forums that it's a memory related issue.

I'm just wondering would be better to just buy a new motherboard than maybe pay and take it in for a check-up at PC World which is were they bought it.

It's not the board that decides the beeps, it's the BIOS. Look at the BIOS chip, find the brand, then search for beep codes with that brand :)

http://www.bioscentral.com/ has a list of many codes; see the links in the right column.

Its using a Phoenix Award BIOS can't load the BEEP codes list that shows up on the right hand side HTTP 404 error.

Most of what I've seen points to the RAM as the issue. Knowing how OEMs cheap out on components as we do I wouldn't rule out the PSU, I'd be surprised if it were the motherboard tbh.

Some thoughts, do you have any slower DDR2 (possibly value RAM) that you could try in this system? That motherboard's chipset only officially supports up to DDR2-667, could be that it doesn't like your HyperX. Do you have another power supply you can try or is the PSU making any abnormal noises? I've personally seen Q6X00 chips kill power supplies without warning, I've gone through two FSP PSUs on my quad at home in the last year. From what I've seen through googling it is suggested that Packard Bell uses a PowMax PSU...yuck! :(

Just my $.02, good luck!

Last edited:
my gigabyte board just died and it errors with one long beep and no display signal, according to gigabyte tech its the memory controller, sounds like you have the same problem

1long, 2 short Video adapter error Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.

Repeating (endless loop) Memory error Check for improperly seated or missing memory.

1long, 3short No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card.

High frequency beeeps while running Overheated CPU Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.

Repeating High/Low CPU Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

my gigabyte board just died and it errors with one long beep and no display signal, according to gigabyte tech its the memory controller, sounds like you have the same problem

Yeah it's exactly like that 1 long beep then a 5sec stop then another 1 long beep and it will continue till I turn the power off. It's going back to the shopt they bought it from PC World they are going to fix it as it's under warranty hopefully give him a better board.

Back