• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on Water Cooling Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tahosa

So I am still a water cooling newb, but I have done my homework and come up with a couple setups for my computer.

I am currently running:

Core i7 920 at stock (2.66GHz)
2 MSI GTX260OCv4 (55nm)
ASUS P6T with the x58 chipset
in a Silverstone TJ07 case.

I want to cool at least my CPU, and potentially one of my GPUs with water. I have also been looking into overclocking my CPU to get a little more out of it. This means I am looking at a CPU only loop, as well as a CPU / GPU loop. I have been looking at parts and have put together a couple loops which could be good. I am looking at using 3/8" tubing and fittings for everything.

Loop 1: CPU Only
CPU block - Swiftech Apogee XT ($80) Swiftech
Pump - Swiftech MCP355 ($70) Newegg
Resevoir - EK Spin ($70) Sidewinder Computers

Loop 2: CPU / GPU
Same CPU block, pump, radiator, and res
GPU setup 1 - Swiftech Komodo GTX275-P897 ($120) Newegg

GPU setup 2 - Swiftech MCW60-R ($35+$5 for mounting brackets) Newegg
Plus stick on heatsinks for mosfets, memory, etc. ($15-$20)

Note: the prices I have listed are a little exaggerated for budgeting purposes.

I am a little dubious of dropping $130 on a full cover block for my GPU when I could save a bunch by going with passive cooling on the rest of the chips. I can also get a full cover heatsink for my graphics card for about $30 instead of the stick on ones. Also, the radiator listed is a 120.2, which I am not sure will kill the heat from a CPU / GPU combo. Would I need a 120.3 or .4 instead?

I have attached a more detailed breakdown. Do these look like good loops, and does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks

Attachments

• Water cooling.xls
    27.5 KB · Views: 114
I haven't noticed a huge performance jump from liquid cooling the GPU. The main thing is how quiet the system is, now the cards are on liquid. Also it looks a lot better and I use it as a stepping point to the south bridge. I usually find the second you start OCing any card to see an sort of performance increase, you get "artifacts" on your playback. If you're just getting into it, cool the CPU and install a drain valve so if you want to upgrade, modifications will be easy. Bigger tubing is better (leads to higher pressure). BTW I usually find NCIX or Performance-PCS to be better for liquid blocks.
Keep me posted.

OP: Not sure what you mean loop one or two etc. They are different options I think. Choose 1 2 or 3?

Might want to read this about heatloads, do the math. Your CPU overclocked is 250 watts or so under load.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6480432&postcount=10

Seen the EK spin res spinner stop spinning. More than once.

Don't really want to open your .xls. Macro viruses etc.

Please make a sig so we can see your stuff at a glance.

The different "loops" are the different setups I had in mind, not separate loops inside my machine. Sorry if that was confusing.

The different "loops" are the different setups I had in mind, not separate loops inside my machine. Sorry if that was confusing.

Planned sig please. Read lots of threads here, 2-5 hours. You'll get a great clue to what we have recommended time and time again.

Sig for your planned cooling, overclocks, ambient summer temps, case, concerns. Then we can begin more.

Your start is pretty decent. Gotta flesh it out more.

Sorry about the signature. phpBB has some weird things about not adding it to posts if it is created afterward. I have looked through a lot of postings here and on a couple other sites (spent 10+ hours researching), but haven't found a lot on the Core 216 260GTX cards. My big question is on whether the MCW60 is compatible with the 200 series cards as well as if the pump / radiator I am looking at will cool properly. It looks like the should (head is just shy of 4m on the pump, and heat dissipation on a 120.2 is around 600W thermal), I just wanted to check.

Back