• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED GTX 470 on water.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgettmann

Any idea how much radiator I would need for a single GTX 470? I am only planning on OCing my CPU and have no plans for overclocking my GPU. Mainly wondering if I could get away with a single 140.1...the general consensus around here seems to be 120.3 for CPU, 120.2 for a pair of GPUs. Thanks in advance.

U should be able to do this by yourself.
First, U need to know how much **watt** the gpu does. http://www.antec.outervision.com/ this is the one I found when googleit
Second, When u know this go to skineelabs.com (google it) and read radiator article and see how much watt they can remove with different kind of fan.
So. BY EXAMPLE: If its put 200w. and a 120.2 can remove 200w with 1600rpm fan. u might have to guess that a 140.1 will need more cfm fan to cool properly the gpu.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, both links (and the links on the links) answered a lot of questions I had, not only about radiators, but fans and airflow. But the bulk of my question still remains. 140.1...I haven’t seen how much a 140mm x 1 fan rad can dissipate. Not even from the manufacturer, even then I would not fully believe the numbers of the person trying to sell me the product. That would be like asking a used car salesman if that beater gets good gas mileage. I guess short of buying one and running my own tests is the only way I can answer my question.

Umm…just as an afterthought I probably could just look up reviews for a corsair h50 or similar “closed cooling loop” for a CPU…they use a 140.1 and probably have similar dissipation. Thanks for the help guys.

Acutually it's pretty easy, a bit of math helps. A 120x3 top choice rad cools xxx with xxx fans above ambient. Just reduce the size with a bit of math.

Rad size using the same rad (same FPI etc) is pretty close.

120x3 in a test is 43200 square mm. A 140 single is 19600 sq. mm.

So figure out your heatload for your needs using a comparable 120x3 rad on Skinnees.

Determine your required DT temp, and multiply the heatload by 0.453, that will give you the same DT for your 140x1 rad. Or another way of saying it. A loop needs cool water, you determine how cool by your rad size and fan choice. You decide on the DT temps. Once that is done you can use rad reviews and a bit of math to look at any compareable rad.

Umm, btw, took me two years to get to the ease of doing this. I'm not a math guy but it can be done, maybe your better at math than me.

An H50 is 120x1. It's a fully different rad maker, we have no idea what it performs at in a scientific test like Skinnee and retired martin provide.
The links, have fun.
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

I see...looking at it that way a 140rad is about 35-40% more radiator. somewhere between a double and a triple 140 is equal to a quad 120. If I ran a single GPU a single 140 should be fine, but if I decide to go SLI i would need a second. Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help, both links (and the links on the links) answered a lot of questions I had, not only about radiators, but fans and airflow. But the bulk of my question still remains. 140.1...I haven’t seen how much a 140mm x 1 fan rad can dissipate. Not even from the manufacturer, even then I would not fully believe the numbers of the person trying to sell me the product. That would be like asking a used car salesman if that beater gets good gas mileage. I guess short of buying one and running my own tests is the only way I can answer my question.

Umm…just as an afterthought I probably could just look up reviews for a corsair h50 or similar “closed cooling loop” for a CPU…they use a 140.1 and probably have similar dissipation. Thanks for the help guys.

the h50 uses a 120.1, not 140.1 just to clear that up.

Back