• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA X58 E758 CMOS error?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maqr

This is my last stop before RMA'ing the board (EVGA E758), so maybe somebody has a clue. If not, it'll be 1 Documentation for other Googlers with the same problem.

The error I get is "CMOS Checksum Error - Loading Defaults", error code 7F (won't POST). I know the PSU is good, and I've tried all 3 of my RAM sticks. I also see no reason why the CPU would die, as I wasn't even overclocked at the time (waiting for some new hardware to come in).

It tells me to press F1 to continue or DEL for setup, but neither work (with either a PS/2 or USB keyboard).

The strangest thing is that any keyboard input before the CMOS Checksum Error occurs makes the computer 'freeze'. I've been able to interrupt it before it even finds the RAM or CPU. By pressing it trying to get into the BIOS, I've made it say things like "Memory Tes" and stop mid-sentence. Very strange to me.

Here's what led up to it:
- A day before getting the error, my on-board 1394 interface stopped being seen by Windows.
- Doing the normal "uninstall in device manager" trick, the TI 1394 still wouldn't be seen by windows, instead giving me a "System Interrupt Controller" device.
- I reinstalled the chipset drivers (though they should have been installed anyway), but Windows still failed to see it as a 1394 device.
- Thinking maybe something went wrong in the BIOS, I pressed the CMOS clear button on the board.
- Now I get this error.

I think I need to RMA the board, but I wanted to get any final thoughts before I do.

TIA,

--maqr

Back