• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I broke something

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hsnopi

so i had the setup in my sig. i was doing my annual cleaning and decided to spice it up a bit.
I added the following
1. a second mcp655
2. a feser 2x rad
3. danger den aquadrive hd cooler.

i stripped and cleaned everything. cleaned the blocks. got new tubing. all hooked up. about 12 feet of tubing used.

I hooked up the stuff and jumped the powersupply.

I slowly filled the system, it holds about 4-5 cups of water.

i turned it on and set the variable speed to 4. it ran for a couple secs then kind of chugged. then shut down. i thought it was priming. the res runs right into the first pump which goes right into the second pump.

now it won't turn on at all. did i fry the pumps or my powersupply?

res->pump->pump->gpu->3fan rad->cpu->nb->hd->2fan rad->res

the res is a microres2 and i fill it through there. ther ei sa t-line between the two pumps at the base. it has been bled.

Did you run it dry for a little bit before it got water? Do you smell anything burning? Check the PSU make sure there is power going to the molex your pump is on and that something isnt shorted.

didn't run it dry. no smells. all lines are powered. or were. no idea how to test now.

So your PSU is working and your pumps aren't is what youre saying? Are your pumps hooked up to the same line from the PSU or separate lines? Are both pumps down or just one?

when i turn it on nothing happens so i think the psu might be fried. but i can't tell for sure. i know there is a way to reset the psu but i forget what it is.

HAHA +1 above

Short the 2 pins and look for volts with multimeter on a molez connecter.

actually I always forget whether the | or the O is the on position so i tried both:)

no luck. I have a feeling, and I don't know if this is possible, there when i turned on the psu there was too little draw on the supply. I that possible? I am gonna try to reduce some of the tubing and get an older smaller power supply to test out the pumps individually. I just really didn't wanna tear the whole damn thing down again.

All extreme computer owners should own at least a 20 dollar Radio Shack Multimeter, if not better.

Baring that, find an LED and use it to test for power and ground. One leg positive and the other negative. If it doesn't light the first time, swap the legs. and recheck.

Put a few molex fans on a seperate connector try again.

I have heard a few stories that there needs to be more thatn xx load on a PSU or it won't work or it could go bad.

Try the fans to give the PSU a bit more load. No reason they can't be in the same molex loop as the pump.

i was beginning to suspect that but could come up with no reason that would be the case. i'll give it a shot.
thanks

well i took out the pumps and tested them on an older power supply with a ton of fans.

both pumps work. i think i need to set the variable speed one just below 4. now to redo the loop. I think i can remove at least 2 feet of tubing.

Put a few molex fans on a seperate connector try again.

I have heard a few stories that there needs to be more thatn xx load on a PSU or it won't work or it could go bad.

Try the fans to give the PSU a bit more load. No reason they can't be in the same molex loop as the pump.

I was about to mention that some PSUs need a certain amount of load to power on. This was the case with my PCP&C 750w.. when I plugged in just the molex to my pump power line and jumped the 2 pins on the 24 pin connector nothing happened. After talking with their tech support they said I needed like more draw on the 5v rail or something. So i plugged in my HDDs, DVD drives and all the fans.. and everything then everything worked perfectly. So try it with more equipment to power on with.

well i took out the pumps and tested them on an older power supply with a ton of fans.

both pumps work. i think i need to set the variable speed one just below 4. now to redo the loop. I think i can remove at least 2 feet of tubing.

I like having a old PSU for testing stuff. I jumpered the connector and taped the heck out of it, so it's just a box with a molex and a AC plug. Handy. Power switch is all I need.

so i managed to cut 3+ feet out of the loop. Hooked up the pumps to the other psu and am running it.
dear GOD 2 pumps in serial are powerful! omg! I am so excited. i mean I know they are just pumps but wow!

love these pumps.

I know, it's WC Pron. Pics soon? Maybe a respectable size, we have had a rash of 1200 billion x 3 billion pixels posts lately..................

1280x800 is more than enough........

Really big pics, we have a thread for that.

pics later. turns out i snapped the power connector on the hd. so i ordered a new HD and going to reinstall. *sigh* i had backed up the machine a week before but don't have any spare drives.

Back