• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best fans for the ThermoChill PA140.3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cleaner450

Best fans for the ThermoChill PA140.3 and new WC lineup

I am picking up a ThermoChill PA140.3 ad wanted to know what is the BEST fans for the rad? I emailed ThermoChill to see what cfm would work best and of course no response... Help from the experts please. Also... please take a look at my first water build line up right now.

Any sugestions would be nice.. Maybe I am missing something or should add something. input would be great. I have learned a ton here at overclockers and am about to put it to the test.

Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme Performance CPU Waterblock comes with barbs I think..
Swiftech MCP655-B Water Pump
ThermoChill PA140.3
Bitspower BP-WTP-C01 G1/4 Silver Shing 1/2 Inch Barb Fitting
Feser One Non-Conductive Cooling Fluid - UV Green
10 hose clamps stainless steel clamps 2 for grafix 2 for CPU block 2 for re 2 for rad 2 for pump
FrozenQ PC Mods Liquid Fusion Reservoir
Not sure on tubing yet... I want to go clear and needs to be 1/2 inch... thoughts?

Thanks for the input

Last edited:
A TC and that rad works great with some 65 CFM or so fans. 65 CFM on a 140 is less RPM than a 85 CFM on a 120.3 PA rad.

Not a lot of tests or info yet , the 140 rads are new. So do the best you can. If your heatload isn't silly you should be fine. EDIT:

Your just cooling the CPU for now? No heatload issues.

Try these. I like Jabtech.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Yate-Loon-140mm-Case-Fan-D14SM-12-pr-3594.html

Why pay for fancy liquid? Guess your not up to reading many threads for the last few years. Distilled water at $1 a gallon and $7.00 including shipping for a biocide that will last at 4 drops per loop for years. I refill my biggest loop at under 1$ a gallon every 6 months.

Read posts to learn the magic stuff.

Primochill 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD in many colors and very very popular. You can read my thoughts here.
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

Last edited:
I will be running one 5850 with the CPU for now and down the road 2 in xfire. I hope this setup will keep me cool all with one loop. Thanks for the link..

I am currently building my system with a Thermochill PA 120.3 too. Using x3 1850 RPM Gentle Typhoons. Ohh, and if it's one thing I've learned here on the forums, it's distilled water/colored tubing > coolant. Hope this help :)

Cheers,
Mass

Disregard my previous post, I thought you were talking about the 120.3. The distilled water comment still stands though :).

Cheers,
Mass

Massacah... I have heard a few things about the possible issues with Feser but why do you say that? I have also read that the stuff works great as long as you keep your water blocks all copper. Does anyone know if the rad will create issues with the copper water blocks. I am assuming it wont. I am going to search more on Feser posts...

Thanks for the link thats nasty sh**... Ok so what do you think if I want to add some color? The res I am going with is really all for look and I will have tubing out around my office out for the world to see. If its possible, I would like it to have a nice look especially when it hits the res. What would you suggest? Is there anything I can add to the distilled to give it a nice look up against the Liquid Fusion Reservoir? Of course dropping several hundred dollars the best way is the way I want to go but if I can get some sort of color I would prefer it.

Ya I think after reading some more on Feser... its just not worth it. I really wanted some UV reacting liquid flowing through the res because of the lighting in it, but I guess there is really no way to accomplish that without jeopardizing things with all that nasty build up. Is there a way to add any kind of color to distilled water?

NO. Colored tubing. The thing about D watr is it's clean. You add dyes colors etc odd things happen not to everyone, well few post their srcewups once warned before they do it anyway.

It's your stuff, don't fret it. You want color, research, do it.

Post the 6 month results.

You'll want to go colored tubing, if you want color that is. But as Conumdrum said above, if you really want the liquid to be colored, you'll need to use a coolant/dyes. Do your research, and go from there.

Cheers,
Mass

There is a lot of positive post about it but I agree... its probably a matter of time before they run into issues. I think I will just go with Black tubing and get some UV Primochill Anti-Kink Coils for inside the case to give it a better look. I know Tygon makes some of the best tubing but any suggestions on cheaper 1/2 Black tubing that would work well with the UV reactive coils inside the case? I like thin walled for flexibility.

Also... Am I going to need any type of elbows off the block to make it eassier or should just the barbs straight off work ok since I am doing one video and one cpu?

Your welcome to use anti kink stuff. OMG so hard to get perfect. Some rigs it looks good, some it's just bad.

Tygon is like the old king of tubing, like Thermochill rads. Still top notch but other stuff just as good. It seems the current fav (I love it) is Primochill LRT. Might be cheaper, have to shop around.

You don't need elbows, but a few Bitspower 45 and 90 degree rotary is nice to have. They look good and can help keep big looping hose pieces at bay, like coming off a GPU block and looping up to the rad, if on top. A 90 and a 45 together makes a fine pretty much 180 degree turn.

You don't need them, you will buy them someday.

Been busy around the house today. Time for the Bi-centennial garage cleaning. Used up all our garbage bags and boxes, so we had to stop. The trash guy is gonna be ****ed, so we're gonna give them only half at a time. Goodwill will get stuff too!

haha I did one of those last week... Goodwill scored big time.. Anyways.. thanks I am going to check out the LRT.

I realize its only a video, but this will give you an idea of THE BEST, or as I like to call it "The BEAST!"

Hope it helps.

OK I think I have the set up in mind... thanks to you and the overclockers community.. But I want your advice on this.. I think I am going to go with a
EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir VS the Liquid Fusion. Its cheaper and I like the fact that it will fit in the front 2 bays of my AZ Sloan 1000 .. So if I have the res in the front and out of the case I have the rad and pump what is the best route for this loop to start and in what order.

Any thoughts on the EKE Spin? Thanks again you guys have all been a great help with me finalizing my first "true" water build.

As far as fans go, I'd stray away from anything with sleeve bearings (eg: yate loons) as the sleeve bearings tend to go bad sooner or later

for 140mm fans, these new Thermalright TR-X 140mm's have become my favorite for cheap, reliable, efficient fans... not to mention that they look pretty damn nice!

60.42cfm @ 20.9dba @ 900rpm

http://www.svc.com/tr-x-silent-140.html

Back