• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Put my q6600 on water today

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Benitora

Hey guys I put my q6600 under water today and now I'm trying to dial it in. Whats the highest a 65nm c2q chip can take? My cooling set up is as follows

-GTZ SE
-XSPC X20 750 Res Pump
-Swiftech 220 Rad with 2 San Ace 109R1212H1011's with grills pulling and 2 Delta AFB1212SH's pushing.

Right now I'm at 3.744 ghz @ 72c on the hottest core in prime95

That's already fairly toasty, i'm not sure i'd go much hotter.
They're officially rated to 1.5v, on water i might do 1.6 or maybe 1.7 if the temps were good and i could afford another chip if the one i had popped.

Well I thought 80c was the do not pass limit on 65nm chips, also on air @ 3.4 I was in at 71c in the wintertime... Its warm weather here in FL now and temps are already hot! lol Anywho I'm experiencing something new here on water as 2 of the 4 cores are 10c cooler then the other two. I have 2 @ 72c and the other 2 @ 62c this is in a 27c ambient temp.

Most of the time there are a few deg difference between cores but @ 10c I would remount your WB.

I ran a 65nm chip @ 1.65v for 2+ years and the chip is still going . As long as you can Handle the heat i would be fine with 1.65v.

Ok well I will remount it tomorrow after work and see where that takes me... I would really to get 3.8ghz stable is my goal and 4.0ghz is my dream haha I wont hold my breath on that one tho

Well I thought 80c was the do not pass limit on 65nm chips, also on air @ 3.4 I was in at 71c in the wintertime... Its warm weather here in FL now and temps are already hot! lol Anywho I'm experiencing something new here on water as 2 of the 4 cores are 10c cooler then the other two. I have 2 @ 72c and the other 2 @ 62c this is in a 27c ambient temp.

This statement actually tells me there are a few possibilities here. One of them is that you are possibly loading 2 cores more than the other 2. Another is that you have an uneven block mount, which can be fixed by remounting the block. It could also be a stuck temp diode, but that doesn't sound too likely, since the closer to TJMax they are, the more accurate they are. I would let the chip idle down, wait a few minutes for the water temp to equalize, and see if you still have that much variation on your cores. At full load 24/7, I never have a temp difference of more than 4C between the cores on my Q66. Also, with my water loop, if my CPU gets over 60C, I idle down the rig. Something sounds seriously wrong, and I think it has something to do with the water block mount.

Yeah I shut the rig down and will work on it more tomorrow with remounting the wb... and go from there.

Ok so I remounted my wb today and boy did it make a huge difference in temps.... Now my highest temp is 61c with a 3 degree difference in my cores. A BIG improvment from yesterday..... Now time to finish my journey :bday:

Ok so I remounted my wb today and boy did it make a huge difference in temps.... Now my highest temp is 61c with a 3 degree difference in my cores. A BIG improvment from yesterday..... Now time to finish my journey :bday:

how did you go about re-mounting? i have around a 10c diff aswell. i tightened the block down like i would torqing down an engine head, nice and even but i still get a big diff in temps ...

I just cleaned the block and cpu off and re-applied thermal paste and then tightened it criss cross from each with the same range in motion on each screw until it was tight.

hmm idk man maybe some of these other guys can give their .02 as this is my first water cooled rig and I have my q6600 stable with 3703 @ 1.56 vcore with my highest core hitting 61c in prime95....... trying to get 3.8 but its taking ALOT more vcore to get it there and I'm not sure if I want to push it anymore.

Back