• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dedicated pump for pumping water to res?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smartkid

Registered
hi guys, i am completely new to watercooling and i need some help here. i am thinking of setting up a series loop as below:

res--->pump--->rad--->cpu--->nb--->gpu--->another pump--->res

i am thinking for using a dedicated pump to pump the water back to the res at the end of the loop, i will be using 2 d5 pumps. so does adding the second pump makes any difference at all to the temp? any help and advices on improving my loop is greatly appreciated.

cpu block: apogee xt
gpu block: evga gtx 470 ftw
motherboard block: x58a-ud7 block by ek
rad: 1x black ice gtx 420
rad fan: 4x 70cfm

cpu: i7 920 4.01Ghz @ 1.26v(ordered i7 980x)
gpu: nvidia c2070(pre-ordered) + evga gtx 470 ftw(waiting for water cooling)
motherboard: gigabyte i7 x58a ud7

Last edited:
the stickies did not answer my question and that's why i am asking.

First off, if you're going to run two pumps, you want them in series next to each other, not randomly before and after the res. There is absolutely no reason to put one on the intake of a reservoir.

If you're going with two pumps, I'd recommend two MCP355s over two MCP655s for your loop. You have the most restrictive radiator on the market, one of the more restrictive CPU blocks and by their very nature, MB blocks are restrictive. GPU blocks depend on the model. Head pressure is what you need with such a restrictive loop. Plus it's much easier to get one of these for using two MCP355s.

Are you absolutely positive the block you're getting fits on that tesla card? I couldn't even find one on a quick search. Be sure it does. Full coverage blocks are not forgiving even with the slightest difference in PCB design.

You could also potentially be under-radded for this loop, especially if you plan on running it all at full load 24/7 and overclocked. Even if that rad can handle it for sure, you'll need to keep those fans turned up due to its high FPI.

IMHO, I'd split it into two loops (one CPU & one GPU/MB) with one pump and res each, giving both loops a 120x3 radiator. But that's me.

thanks for the reply, i really appreciate it. the telsa card will be air cooled on its own as there isn't any waterblock made for it, and even if there is, i would never disassemble the card, so only the gtx 470 will be water cooled. so i suppose i should combine the two pumps using something like the EK-D5 Dual TOP? is the gtx 420 the best 120mm rad i can get if i wanna stick to a single to a single loop configuration?

Last edited:
Gotcha, sorry, was a little confused on the GPU configuration.

"Best" is a relative term. For sheer performance without regard to noise (meaning you run your fans at roughly 2,000 RPM or above all the time), yes, it's the best. For something with a little less performance but also with less noise, look at Thermochill's offerings.

EDIT - Sorry, missed the pump top question. It will work, but again, with that much restriction, I'd highly recommend going with 2x MCP355 instead. Head pressure > high flow for a loop like you're proposing.

Pretty much the best for removing lots of heat. It's got high FPI but needs some good fans, you seem to have picked some decent fans at 90 CFM.

The EK D% dual top, yea that would work if your set on the D5 as your pump.

i am being tortured here by the delta fans that are attached to my h50 at the moment. do you guys have any recommendations for quiet high cfm fans(i am aware that noise and cfm always go hand in hand)? i am currently looking at these Noiseblocker fans @ 79cfm http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...cts_id=25029:5427f7c6fe6cc1e91635a86511056b4f between, will a gtx 240 be sufficient to cool the 980x? i can still shove this into my case(cosmos 1k) on top of the gtx 420 that will be mounted externally.

Last edited:
Scythe slipstreams make some pretty bold claims about noise. Never had them though. My fans stay turned down (three of these and two 2800RPM deltas) around 5V most of the time. You can hear them, but it's not crazy. Around 2,000RPM on all five starts to get loud. Fully turned up is...well, it's for benching only. :D

Scythe slipstreams make some pretty bold claims about noise. Never had them though. My fans stay turned down (three of these and two 2800RPM deltas) around 5V most of the time. You can hear them, but it's not crazy. Around 2,000RPM on all five starts to get loud. Fully turned up is...well, it's for benching only. :D

the Scythe slipstreams are damn bloody cheap and quiet compared to the deltas(pwm by the way) that i am using right now, which are also moving 110cfm of air. so any comments on cooling the 980x with the gtx 240? or should i cool the gpu and nb with the 240 and reserve the 420 for the cpu? personally i feel that the 240 can't handle the heat from the gpu and the nb.

smartkid, how much have you looked at your heatload and done the math for the rads you want to use?

Could you make your original post system info into a sig so we don'y have to scroll back up?

Put the CPU and Mobo on a quality PA 120x3 rad. Put the 470 on a 120x3 because you'll be wanting another for xfire, I just know you will.

Your rad and math info:
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

Slipstreams are known as poor pressure fans. not good for radiators.
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=4122&articID=936

Look at Gentle Typhoon GT fans.
the 470, 250 watts
i7 220 watts
Mobo 100 watts
Add 15% heat if your overclocking.

smartkid, how much have you looked at your heatload and done the math for the rads you want to use?

Could you make your original post system info into a sig so we don'y have to scroll back up?

Put the CPU and Mobo on a quality PA 120x3 rad. Put the 470 on a 120x3 because you'll be wanting another for xfire, I just know you will.

Your rad and math info:
http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/

Slipstreams are known as poor pressure fans. not good for radiators.
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=4122&articID=936

Look at Gentle Typhoon GT fans.
the 470, 250 watts
i7 220 watts
Mobo 100 watts
Add 15% heat if your overclocking.

i am truly sorry for not including my specs in my sig. i do not know what is the cooling capacity of the gtx 420. i have decided to stick to

delta fans for its its high static pressure and hook them up to fan controllers.

i will not be doing any gaming on my system and thus there will only be a

single gtx 470 which will be used to assist the tesla(for display output).

between, what's your thought on this?

specs as follow:
CPU:i7 980x
GPU:GTX 470 + C2070
Motherboard:Gigabyte x58a-ud7
RAM:TEAM 1866mhz@1910mhx 6gb
PSU:Seasonic x-750

Last edited:
Not too bad, enough for all of your stuff. Seen it mounted on the ouside of a case on the side. You won't need anything more than 1500 RPM fans at the max for your cooling. Nine GT 1450 fans would be fine.

Gentle Typhoons are very highly rated.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-Gentle-Typhoon-D1225C12B3AP-14-1450rpm-pr-4500.html

You might think about two pumps in series to keep your flow rates up. The rad is kinda restrictive in it's design and a CPU/GPU and mobo is pretty restrictive also.

If D5 pumps, look at the EK dual D5 top.
If DDC3.2 pumps, look at the XSPC dual top.

Not too bad, enough for all of your stuff. Seen it mounted on the ouside of a case on the side. You won't need anything more than 1500 RPM fans at the max for your cooling. Nine GT 1450 fans would be fine.

Gentle Typhoons are very highly rated.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-Gentle-Typhoon-D1225C12B3AP-14-1450rpm-pr-4500.html

You might think about two pumps in series to keep your flow rates up. The rad is kinda restrictive in it's design and a CPU/GPU and mobo is pretty restrictive also.

If D5 pumps, look at the EK dual D5 top.
If DDC3.2 pumps, look at the XSPC dual top.

yup, i will be using 2 d5 with ek dual top. so will the gtx 420 with 4x110cfm delta fans be sufficient to cool my system? or should i consider the 9x120mm and attach 9 fans onto it like you suggested? i feel that the 9x120mm will cause the pressure to drop dramatically even with 2 pumps, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
yup, i will be using 2 d5 with ek dual top. so will the gtx 420 with 4x110cfm delta fans be sufficient to cool my system? or should i consider the 9x120mm and attach 9 fans onto it like you suggested? i feel that the 9x120mm will cause the pressure to drop dramatically even with 2 pumps, just my 2 cents.

It's not really called pressure. It's flow rate. If the flow rate drops too low the CPU block will not cool well. You increase flow rate in a restrictive block by increasing pump head pressure, which two pumps in series do.

And the two pumps would be just fine with that 9x9 rad.

Back