• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI-GD85 and DDR3 2200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jallen18

I recently ordered a new MB, CPU, and Memory to upgrade my aging Core 2 Duo system, I went with:

Gigabyte P55-USB3 (which was DOA, now in the process of being refunded)
4GB of GSkill F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS
Intel Core i5-750
The ever popular Hyper 212+

I read some more reviews about USB3.0 and SATA 6GB bottlenecking and decided I should probably try and future proof this a bit more, one article references the MSI P55-GD85 but in reviewing the specs, it only lists DDR3 2133 (O.C.) as the maximum speed allowed..

Could I put the DDR3 2200 in and would it work and/or downclock to 2133? What is another good board (under $220ish) that would support the 2200, or should I RMA the memory as well and go with something lower? I do plan on overclocking the i5-750 to at least 3.6Ghz.

Thanks in advance for the advice and suggesstions!

Welcome!

It would work if you manually overclocked it, but why get that memory? Do you benchmark (think extreme cooling benchmark)? That would honestly be the only reason to get such high speed ram...

Just get 7-7-7-2x DDR3 1600 and call it a day.

Honestly, it wasn't that much more in price.. I wanted to try and keep obsolescence at bay for as long as I could. Is there any downsides? If I underclock the speed, can I speed up the timings on it?

Honestly, it wasn't that much more in price.. I wanted to try and keep obsolescence at bay for as long as I could. Is there any downsides? If I underclock the speed, can I speed up the timings on it?
Buying faster ram really will not keep obsoleescence at bay as ram speeds dont make anything 'feel' faster really as its not usually a bottleneck.

And like Elfie stated, you can try to tighten the timings down if you already bought them.

Its a $70 difference...

Back