• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bent pins

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arcanise

board = Asus p6x58d premium
CPU = core i7 965 xe bloomfield
problem = solid red Dram LED, mem ok button does nothing, system wont past post
cause = bent pins
detals = follow link too see pic of the pins (best my camera can do) no matter how close i get these damn things to close or near where they need to be it wont work, any ideas/suggestions and i have very very limited tools as im in a marine corp base in japan and im not exactly rich

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb307/arcanise/DSCN0212.jpg

and off subject, what would happen if i plug in teh other 4 pin connector on my mobo that is normally covered?

Are they all bent or just a few? As that picture isnt that clear. Sometimes what i do with bent pins is with some pliers , verry delicatly move them back to a straight position.

the last row to the right are the bent ones and 2 in the middle

Tweezers, magnifying glass, steady hand. Didn't work for me on a socket 775 but worth a try.

You need to plug in both 4 pin mobo connectors to supply sufficient power

it was running fine with only oen connected, why do i need both???

The system will boot with 4 pin but may need more power for load and/or overclocking.

who wants to donate towards a new MOB asus wont even look at this one, customer induced damage

Get a mechanical pencil, remove the lead. use the tiny tubed end to place on the pin, and straighten it gently. I think the patience of bending a few pins back perfectly straight is worth the 200 dollars. Or.... you could ship it to me.

Oh and yeah.... both 4-pins need to be plugged into the PSU.

Oh and make sure and include the i7, I will need it to test.

who wants to donate towards a new MOB asus wont even look at this one, customer induced damage
You'll find you have rights. Depending on what country you bought it from and what country your in now , or when you bought it. Im not sure about where you are but i certionly know that over here in the UK the laws state that ANY electronic item does not work is covered under a 2 year gurantee (retailers dont tell you this). And if they are not bothered at looking at it then tell them its unfit for purpose.

Also contact the equivilent of Trading Standards where you are

moonpeach - great idea, whenever you want an upgrade damage the item and get a replacement.

I want to live on your planet.

purchased in newegg at 14-4-2010, ill have to buy a mechanical pencil although these pins are not circular or straight

moonpeach - great idea, whenever you want an upgrade damage the item and get a replacement.

I want to live on your planet.
Come to earth then ;)

purchased in newegg at 14-4-2010, ill have to buy a mechanical pencil although these pins are not circular or straight
Why waste money on something that might not even fix the problem. You may just be doing more harm that good, take my advise and say its not suitable for work.

Moon, suggesting that someone RMA a product because they bent pins on it is dishonest. Warranties do not cover damage inflicted by the user no matter what country your from.

It is also frowned upon in this forum to suggest such a thing.

Moon, suggesting that someone RMA a product because they bent pins on it is dishonest. Warranties do not cover damage inflicted by the user no matter what country your from.

It is also frowned upon in this forum to suggest such a thing.
Well im not sure if the user inflicted the damages him/herself or not. But if he/she did then he/she would still be covered by this 2 year electronic gurantee (If based in the UK)

But sometimes legal action is needed to resolve a problem.

Well im not sure if the user inflicted the damages him/herself or not. But if he/she did then he/she would still be covered by this 2 year electronic gurantee (If based in the UK)

But sometimes legal action is needed to resolve a problem.

Can you post something for me, a web link or a picture of a warranty statement contained on any item that specifically states the manufacturer will be held responsible for damage to an item by the end user?

I am from the U.S. and have lived in Germany. I have never seen or heard from anyone living in the UK or otherwise that has said that a manufacturer would cover an item under warranty that was damaged by the end user. Since I cannot confirm or deny this without digging through UK Law, I was hoping that you could post a screen shot of such a warranty agreement.

For example:

Posted from Hitachi - http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/warranty/english.htm

Extent of Warranty

The warranty does not cover the repair or exchange of a Machine resulting from misuse, accident, modification, unsuitable physical or operating environment, improper maintenance by you, or failure caused by a product for which Hitachi Global Storage Technologies is not responsible. The warranty is voided by removal or alteration of Machine or parts identification labels.

Back