• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hi,
Before I o/c'ed my cpu, I was enjoying the energy savings this board gave me.
Now my cpu is running at 4ghz steady w/ out any throttling as it used to when I was idle. I assume that power saving features do not work when u OC...or do they? 2 questions:
  • Can power saving still be used when you OC on Gigabyte boards?
  • How do you set a profile up in bios so I have one profile for default and one for my Overclock?
Much thanks!

The power saving options have to be enabled to use Turbo Boost. You can also enable them for a normal overclock, but you have to understand that one of the power saving options is to throttle back CPU Vcore. If you do that..... BSOD. This is why overclockers disable power saving options.

You could just enabled EIST and your cpu will go into idle mode and turn back multiplier, but alls this really does is just give you lag time when the cpu jumps back and forth between idle and full throttle.

If you want to overclock with power saving function, then do the same thing you did to get to your 4.0, but leave the power saving options enabled. Turn off Turbo Boost.

If I remember correctly in Gigabyte boards you have to press F5 or F10 to access overclockign profiles.

You are a lifesaver thanks! I made a profile for my o/c :)

Another Gigabyte question regarding ESATA..I have an external Dual HD dock and it is connected via ESATA, however it reads only one drive. Ive yet to find if my board has port multiplier function for ESATA. From what ive read in the manual and browsing the bios..I am guessing no.

Also with the Gigabyte boards you dont need to enabled any of the power options to get the extra x1 multiplier, you will find it in the list with the normal CPU multipliers.

This is the only x58 board I have owned that can work like that, all the others I have had, you need to enabled EIST and Turbo mode to get the extra x1.

Yes, and as a matter of fact, If I disable 2 cores I get a 25 multi and if I disable 3 cores I get 26 multi.

He was using super_pi and that is a single threaded application, that's how he reached 4.0 GHz on one core:cool:

He was using super_pi and that is a single threaded application, that's how he reached 4.0 GHz on one core:cool:
Oh..I did not notice that. I just saw 4ghz and got excited.
I decided to make 2 profiles in bios, this is an easier solution, 4ghz when I want to benchmark, play games or brag and default for %90 of my computer use. Im curious to see if My electric bill be any different...Ive been told it wont but I know for certain that GF who lives in a bigger apt pays $15 a month and I pay $30. Ive got a computer running 27/7 and she does not....so the comps gotta factor in a little bit of my bigger bill.

Back