• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid Cooled Rampage III Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thrillz

Registered
EDIT 5/24/10, updated 1st pic to reflect change to new Full board block.

CIMG2928.JPG

Just thought I'd share my weekend build with the forum.

My 980x is running at a modest 4.2 Ghz right now, just wanted to get it stable enough to burn in for 2 days. I ran a 3Dmark Vantage- Performance last night, but didn't do much tweaking. You can see the benchmark here.

I tried to post all 23 image links in my post, but I am limited to 10 pictures.
Edit: 5-14-10 There are more than 23 Pics now on that Album link.

Here is a link to the online blog (Work in Progress) which has much more pictures and explanations.

Last edited:
Very very nice! And looking really good.

I like the two nice sized pics (not 12 billion by 17 billion) to get our interest, and a proper link to more. Looks like your an old timer but new here.

Which loop is what in your sig? One GPU I guess the 240 is on the GPU?

Ohh yea.....

:welcome:

Very very nice! And looking really good.

I like the two nice sized pics (not 12 billion by 17 billion) to get our interest, and a proper link to more. Looks like your an old timer but new here.

Which loop is what in your sig? One GPU I guess the 240 is on the GPU?

Ohh yea.....

:welcome:

Thanks!

Yeah, I have the GPU on the 240, I'll add the second 5850 (or sell it and go with the xfx 5970 black) probably around the same time I install a full EK mobo block. The 240 should be enough for 2 5850's.

..yeah I am new here, but slightly and old timer (I started with 386 DX processors :shock:) so, not that old hehe. What caught my eye was the superpi competition on HWbot, and I figured I'd join the forum and say hi.

very nice. in one of the pics i see a tight bend in the bay area. is it constricting and need a coil or fine?

Good Question. I'm assuming you mean the GPU loop that seems to be constricted around the optical drive. The pictures aren't that great since I have a Casio Exlim which is in serious need of upgrading to a nice EOS Canon Rebel :D.

I did however, manage to remote to the computer and search the memory card for a picture with a better angle. The bend actually touches the optical drive but is not constricted as the previous image makes it seem.

Here you can see the bay area a bit more clearly.
CIMG2147.JPG

Last edited:
im curious about the raid card add in. do you plan on using a lot more SSD's and are being ready for the future or is the mobo just not getting it done with its raid chip?

im curious about the raid card add in. do you plan on using a lot more SSD's and are being ready for the future or is the mobo just not getting it done with its raid chip?

The RocketRaid 640 is a 6Gb/s raid controller that I use to run the Four 6Gb/s WD Black editions in 1+0. My results with an external raid controller vs onboard have always been better in terms of performance (not considering Raid 0 for multi-disk configurations) but on this particular board I have not tested the performance difference vs on-board.

Also, the Rampage III has only 2 internal 6Gb/s ports so I plan to just add another 64gb Crucial ssd in Raid 0 for the OS very soon, or replace the one I have for 2 new ones in Raid0 for the future.

FYI, Regarding desktop Raid Controller cards:
The High-Point cards I have owned were built beautifully and performed extremely well in terms of speed and reliability. But I have to admit that their documentation sucks, so beginners should not expect any "how-to" or configuration guides from High-Point.

was just curious because its usually higher end machines that i see it in ( think already have 1T of SSD goodness invested)

How much higher end are you looking at? I mean OP has R3E and 980x, the only way he could toss more money at it would be go with a dual processer mobo or SLI/Xfire

How much higher end are you looking at? I mean OP has R3E and 980x, the only way he could toss more money at it would be go with a dual processer mobo or SLI/Xfire

i see MUCH higher end.

ever seen a server with 2x areca ARC-1680IX-24-4G PCI-Express x8 SAS RAID Cards full of 48 Intel X25-E Extreme SSDSA2SH064G1 2.5" 64GB SATA II SLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

computers that run in the 50-60k region for people that like to have the best of everything and yes all of the SSD are water cooled on 1 special sandwich which i designed

i will say it is nice the cpu and mobo he has though. im not knocking it at all as it will do great and wonderful things faster than anything else. but those 2 things alone dont make up a system. .

i see MUCH higher end.

ever seen a server with 2x areca ARC-1680IX-24-4G PCI-Express x8 SAS RAID Cards full of 48 Intel X25-E Extreme SSDSA2SH064G1 2.5" 64GB SATA II SLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

computers that run in the 50-60k region for people that like to have the best of everything and yes all of the SSD are water cooled on 1 special sandwich which i designed

really now? i could understand with old hdd's but SSD's?

any pictures of that setup? just feel like staring at something like that for a while.

ahhh ok much easyer in that picture at that angle.

looks good. nice and clean

Thanks. :cool:

I ran some more benchmarks last night at the same speed 4.2, and memory just shy of 2000, which is barely pushing the processor and mem. So I thought I would share them with you.
The tests were: wprime 32 and 1024, superpi, and pcmark vantage.

so your boot times should be around 30 seconds if you are running bare bones services right?

I am running all regular and additional services, all my software, games, utilities installed, Windows is in full Aero, etc..

The boot time is fast, but it will never be 30 seconds because my Raid Controller searches for then initializes the array on boot - which alone takes about 15-20 seconds in itself.

Back